Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean regular day to day + canyon street riding. I can't think of too many common recreational activities that have a higher risk/reward ratio. Let's see, some others......
1. Sky diving, snow boarding, surfing, etc....................no.
2. Recreational alcohol/drug abuse.....maybe.
3. Uhhh, unsafe sex while doing #2 above?.....maybe
4. Hunting?......nawww!
5. Bicycling like those asswipe Lance Armstrong wanna-be's do on public streets?........pretty close maybe
6. Drunken boating? This one happens a LOT because people just don't see it the same as driving a car. But......naw.
Geez I'm stumped I can't think of anything more dangerous on the average. What else is there? :dunno:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Its dangerous!!!...I didnt know...why didnt someone inform me of this before I started.Dammit now I gotta worry about that too.I went thru this with dwarf tossing too.No one told me you could get hurt.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
I hear porking married women is pretty dangerous...which is also a form of canyon riding I suppose...

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
:rofl:

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
26,947 Posts
<snip>
3. Uhhh, unsafe sex while doing #2 above?.....maybe
<snip>
you have to pay extra for that kind of action...only unsafe if you don't pay and ask ahead of time.

on a serious note, equestrian is high.
I'd imagine that if extrapolated out for an entire year snowmobiling would be pretty high.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
i would say it would be up there, not so much the riders but the other oblivious ppl around us

·
Registered
353 Posts
Rock Climbing
Scuba
Base Jumping
Road Biking (try going 50+mph downhill in spandex and a little helmet with almost no brakes)
Mountain Biking

·
Banned
193 Posts
Here are my most dangerous picks
- Base Jumping
- Shark Diving --> crocodile hunter style
- Anything related to the Extreme games..street luge, skateboard , and motorcross.

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
Well it's hard to figure out which activities are as popular/common as ours.

Hell, commuting to work in a car is pretty dangerous

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I would say Snowboarding/skiing has more potential for danger than motorcycles.

On an average day of riding the bike I have a lot less potential to wipe and cause damage to myself/others than I do on the average day of the slopes. Factor in the fact that motorcycles have defined lanes of travel and there aren't 8 year old kids cutting you off constantly, and the safety margin on the bike goes up. And if you are a terrain park rat, or like me, and ex-terrain park rat, you have even more potential for disaster. Add in backcountry/glade skiing, and that factor goes up yet again.

That said, you are probably more likely to come out of a wreck on a motorcycle with injury than skis/snowboards. You are just more likely to wipe on a frequent basis on skis/snowboards.

Due to the fact more people in the US ride bikes on a frequent basis, I would say there is a higher rate of accidents and hospital visits due to them. But, I would say if you factor in the accidents per trip, you will come up with snowboarding/skiing as having a higher rate.

I have one wreck on the bike, and that has caused a scraped up knee (full gear except jeans instead of riding pants). I have quite a few wrecks on skis and boards totaling, multiple sprains, bruises, at least 3 broken bones, and one concussion. I have also known a person or two that have had some pretty major, almost life threatening wrecks on their boards. Two requiring being carried out on those boards that keep your back from moving.

·
Registered
44 Posts
its only that dangerous because there are too many people out there on bikes that shouldn't be. Its the thrill of going fast and popping wheelies in traffic and babe magnets that is appealing to the lower IQ's....
i take offense to that remark.
:monkeyup:
Spike TV says more poeple die fishing than any other sport.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Cigarettes Kill more than all listed above combined. I consider that somewhat recreational. haha. Quitting smoking was hard though. Still a smoke every now and then though.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
THE most dangerous sport in the world is extreme depth technical diving. This is unquestionable.

The second most dangerous is critical low altitude base jumping.

Extreme technical diving is so dangerous as is, if anything goes wrong it's hours and hours of decompression prior to getting to the surface, if you bypass this your dead in a horrific manner as nitrogen out gasses in your blood similar to opening a bottle of pop and watching the bubbles form. Exact same phenomenon and your dead in minutes, if not paralyzed or brain damaged..

Some low altitude base jumpers take it so low, it's semi-suicidal. Anything below 300 feet is just retarded.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts