Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just rode the coolest bike I've seen to-date. My friend just finished a project he had been working on for several months now! Honda NSR 250 with an RC211V plastic. This thing is registered and all! Very cool bike, super fun!

He still has a few stickers to put on, but you get the idea. We got a few strange looks today riding down the road. The dry clutch sound great!
Shawn

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
a couple years ago one of the dealerships got about 10 of those in... one of my buddies was a salesman there and called me as soon as it came in, all the salesmen were out there playing with em... those things are so much fun...

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Nice.

Not even Honda can make a 2-stroke boring.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
^^ That is so true!!

--David

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
i love 2 stroke track bikes, i wish they werent on the way out. aprilia makes some cool ones too.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Used to have a Suzuki RGV250, that was one super fun bike.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Two questions from a two-stroke newb...

1. Why can't you register them?
2. Why are they so much fun?
3. What are the benefits over my 636?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
(1)I really don't know why you can't register them?
(2)It's so much fun because it's light and you can carry a lot of speed around a turn.
(3) No real streetable benefits, it's just different and fun. This was his track bike until he stopped racing.
SD

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Originally posted by MRWGLO92
Two questions from a two-stroke newb...

1. Why can't you register them?
2. Why are they so much fun?
3. What are the benefits over my 636?

Thanks! :)
1. Two stroke engines aren't too enviromentaly friendly. From what I've read on the rgv250 forum, registering a 2 stroke bike in Us is nearly impossible.
2. Unless you've ridden one its very hard to descibe the feeling. There very light and have alot of power for there size. Can carry higher corner speed and they buzz like chainsaws.
3. Benefits; none there brutal machines that take alot to handle and ride well just ask anyone who has had the priviledge of riding a RGV500.
Down here the 2 stroke bikes like Suzuki RGV250 and Aprilla RS250 are called kid killers just because there 250 doesn't mean there slow.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Interesting, guys. How would one compare to the 636? Faster / slower? Like the difference between a 636 (being the two cycle) and a liter bike (being the 636) only on a smaller scale? What does one of those 2 cycles weigh in at?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is the best I can come up with. The NSR is not the most comfortable thing on the road, (it was a track bike), traffic sucks, no bottom end at all below 7K and the power band hits like a smack in the face if your not ready and you are always messing with something on it. But once it's on the open road with some killer twisties you can't get the grin off your face if you tried! The 636 has more power in general, power curve is way more linear, and a lot more comfortable to spend time on. The 636 is a lot heavier, and you can definitely feel the weight in the corners after riding the NSR. They are two totally different bikes, but both so much fun in their own! As far as the weight, I can pick the front of the ground with the back on a stand to turn the front tire. Maybe 300 pounds wet?
Shawn

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
RGV250s and KR-1Ss weighed in at about 125kg dry (claimed), which is about 275lb. I think the Aprilia is about the same weight. I'm not sure what the NSR250 weighs, but it would be somewhere around the same.

They generally put out around 60-65 hp, sometimes a bit less, sometimes a bit more.

I can't really compare them to the 636, because they're very different. Whne you're not in the powerband on a 2-stroke, they really don't accelerate very fast at all. It's not too bad, but it's not fast. That all changes once you reach about 8,000 rpm. From about that point on, the 2-strokes are very, very quick, maybe as quick as the 636 (it's been a long time since I last rode an RGV), through first and second gears anyway.

A healthy 250 2-stroke will pick the front wheel up just under acceleration in first gear, once it's in the powerband, so they're pretty quick. They will usually reach a top speed of about 130-140 mph.

In a straight drag race though, the 636 will win every time. 4-stroke bikes are just much easier to launch than 2-strokes.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Cool, thanks for the explanations! Sounds like it would be fun to try one out on a track (if someone who had one would let you) ;)

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
The term "on the pipe" was pretty much coined for the peaky two stroke powerband characteristics... when you're "on the pipe" (meaning you've hit the power peak that a good set of expansion chambers will give you), the power comes on strong & fast. THe other cool thing about a two stroke multi-cylinder bike is the sound it makes... they gurgle until you get on the throttle; then they do indeed sound like a chainsaw on steroids... a harsh "brrraaaaaaapppppp" sound.

Ask any old timer (like me) how many 750's got dusted by the Yammie RD350/400's "in the day". Kenny Roberts (Sr) made his career on those lightweight little screamers. The Kawi H2 & H1 triples were deadly fast (but didn't have the handling of the RD's due to serious frame-flex).

2-stroke "ring-dingers" are all but extinct in the US due to EPA regulations. They burn oil with the gas, so they put out a ton of pollutants. Dirt bikes and quads are just now transitioning from 2-stroke to 4 for the same reasons. Bummer, because they really are very light & powerful for their size. You just have to keep them in the (narrow) powerband. *sigh*.. I miss my Montessa 250.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
A few years ago, while up in the "hills" (they aren't proper hills, just a lump in the coastal plain) near here, I saw a beautiful H1. All green and chrome/polished aluminium.

It sounded fantastic, and the owner rode off leaving me with the music of a swarm of angry bees. [8D]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.