Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm cross-posting this from the Newbie forum, hope that's not a problem!

I'm considering picking up a Ninja 1000 or Z1000, but since test rides are generally not an option, I'm having trouble deciding which direction to go. Let me give a little bit of background:

I started riding about three years ago with a 2007 Yamaha YZF-R6. I liked that pretty well, but found a good deal on a 2008 Honda CBR1000RR; that was an incredibly powerful bike but for whatever reason I didn't much care for the feel of it, almost feel too smooth and had a feeling a little bit like a jet engine winding up all the time. In any case, as I'm 6'3" 215lb I got a little bit tired of feeling like my knees were up around my chest, and wanted to go for something more comfortable.

So... I ended up buying a 2012 Yamaha FZ6R. Honestly I like it pretty well, pretty comfortable for street riding, mostly comfortable enough to ride around for long rides, and felt very maneuverable. But... ultimately it didn't have quite enough power. Had kind of a buzz at highway speeds, and not quite enough pull on the highway nor with a passenger.

So I recently bought a 2010 Honda VFR1200F. Definitely a powerful bike, and decent enough handling. My big problem is that it feels like I'm riding a truck around or something. It's almost like there's too much power; power delivery is kind of uneven at low ranges, and it makes noise like it's about to take off into orbit after I get to around 4,000 RPM. Worse still, it feels like it starts to vibrate quite a bit around that fairly early range, which makes daily street riding kind of uncomfortable. It just seems like a bike that's designed for a different environment than I'm usually in.

Which leads to my question... is the Ninja 1000 a better bike for me? I'm not sure if I need quite as much power as the Ninja 1000 delivers, frankly I'd probably be happy with anything over about 100hp. But I do want something that's relatively smooth and contained and predictable below around 5,000rpm, which is where I usually have to do most of my riding around here in 35-45mph streets. And with a fairly comfortable upright position, because I'm not interested in ever doing supersport ergos ever again.

I'm also looking seriously at the FZ1 or FZ8. Or if I can't get rid of the VFR for a reasonable price, I might just try to fix that one, but I don't know. Everybody seems to like the Ninja 1000 a lot, and I've had pretty good experiences the very few times I've ridden Kawasakis.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Interested on feedback on this as well. I bought my ninja 650 last year, and plan to keep it at least for another season or two. But eventually I know I will want something with a little more power. Super Sport bikes here cost an arm and a leg to plate ($1100 a year JUST for plates) so believe it or not it's cheaper to plate a ninja 1000/z1000 than to plate a zx6-R. I do like the look of the more recent ninja 1000's too. Looking forward to everyone's feedback on this.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
The Ninja 1000 is better for long trips and if you want the full fairing look.

The Z1000 is better for shorter trips with its reduced wind protection, and there will be a new design for 2014, more like the ZX-10R with a better frame and suspension, more power and more electronics.

I would also look at a leftover new or used Yamaha FZ8 or a new FZ-09, or a Triumph Street Triple R or Speed Triple.

For more money and more long trip comfort the Kawasaki ZX-14 or the Yamaha FJR-1300 would be nice. The newer Concours has linked front and back brakes that many reviewers do not like. The older Concours has a dated but reliable and comfortable design.

For used the 2008 ZZR600 has 90 horsepower, and with better seat padding does 300 miles a day with enough comfort for me.

·
Registered
448 Posts
If yoy look on the kawi website there is a test ride section. Put in your zip code and you can see what dealerships in your area offer test rides. Its not too common but it is offered at some dealerships.

The kawi dealer near my house that I go to for service doesn't do test rides but there's one about an hour away which does. You can try and look for demo days.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
39 Posts
i went from a 2006 636 to a 2010 z1000 and coouldnt be happier. great power and i think it is plenty comfortable. i wired a gps to it for longer rides. i do not have any complaints with the limited wind protection as it dowsnt get overwhelming until like 120 mph.
by what you are saying the limited windshield shouldnt be an issue either. so IMO the choice between a z1000 and a ninja 1000 comes down to more of a if u like full fairing thing. i like the naked look better, and easier to keep clean:p

·
Registered
39 Posts
oh and gen3 ninja 1000 and z1000 have the same engines delivering thr same power. totally manageable yet fierce if u want it to be :)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i went from a 2006 636 to a 2010 z1000 and coouldnt be happier. great power and i think it is plenty comfortable. i wired a gps to it for longer rides. i do not have any complaints with the limited wind protection as it dowsnt get overwhelming until like 120 mph.
by what you are saying the limited windshield shouldnt be an issue either. so IMO the choice between a z1000 and a ninja 1000 comes down to more of a if u like full fairing thing. i like the naked look better, and easier to keep clean:p
how is the power difference between the 636 and z1000? I know the 636 pulls at higher RPM, and the ninja1000, Z1000 have more mid torque? are the power differences noticeable throughout the whole range? just curious

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, I really appreciate the feedback! One thing I'm really concerned about is not so much the long distance riding, which I don't do *very* often but I'm sure the Ninja 1000 would be fine for. I'm more interested in just riding around in 30-45 mph traffic, which is where I spend most of my time. My problem with my VFR1200 is that is a fairly narrow usable range that feels good for street riding, about 3000rpm to 4000rpm, and after that it starts to rumble, and before that it feels like it's lugging. I would hope that the Ninja feels a little smoother in lower ranges, up to around 5,000 or 6,000 rpm, so that I'm not babying it all the time.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I went from a Ninja 650 to a Ninja 1000. I ride very similar to you, mostly street riding with long trips. The bike is an absolute blast on the streets. The engine is built and tuned for low end power and daily driving. The seat is a little sporty for long rides, usually around the 2 hour mark my ass starts hurting, other than that its very comfortable. Pegs can vibrate a bit if you dont have good footwear. Handlebars are fine, no issues there. Windshield is adjustable so if you get caught in cold weather its not hard to add a little more protection from the elements.

At 134HP its got tons of power to spare. The power is tuned for low end power however, so above 100+ it doesnt pull as hard as a super sport 1000, but below 100 its a beast. The gearing is pretty close together, combined with the Torque of this motor you really dont need to shift much. On the highway doing 70-75 in 6th, i dont need to downshift to more than accelerate hard through traffic, if i do downshift, its just for the giggle factor. From a dig or a street light this bike really shines, I believe professional drivers have seen 0-60 times around 2.6 seconds, it has no problem putting your stomach in your throat as you tense up during hard dig accelerations. My girlfriend compares the acceleration to that of a rollercoaster.

The power is very smooth and predictable however. If you want to accelerate fast, you know exactly where the throttle needs to be to hit the limit, if you want to accelerate normally, there are no surprises in the power band.

One other negative for me is the size, its a big bike. Pictures dont really do it justice, i was kinda surprised with how big it was when i first saw it at the dealership. Once you sit on it however the size feels like it just disappears. Its kinda porky at 505lbs wet, but with a good rider, flicking it over isnt too difficult.

All in all, i am very happy with the bike. Im a casual rider, who likes to take long weekend rides, some rides to work, and occasionally push the limits of the bike. I plan on hanging onto this bike for many years to come.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Jayson, thank you for the feedback. In essence I would be eventually making the same move as you. Only thing I'm not crazy about is the weight, since the supersport 600 and 1000 are significantly lighter. But I can deal with that if it costs me at least $1000 less to license and ensure each year than a supersport would.

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
I know a ninja 1000 is in my future, almost regret not buying the ninja 1000 over the Zx6r, for the kind of riding I do I know it would be a lot better.

Fairings are also helpful with rain, getting cought in the rain if you can stay above 70 mph you can remain fairly dry on a ninja 1000 as long as you prone a bit.

For what I have seen it has exceptional acceleration and while sitting on one the other day it feels nice, like a 650 on steroids.

being that it is a 4 cylinder it should be smooth and the sound nice.

Definitely a bike I would buy.

ONly reason why I didn't buy it is because I wanted to try a SS and the insurance was actually more on a ninja 1000 than a zx6r , surprisingly the mpg is better on the 1000.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I hate the notchy feeling of my 650 when it comes to accelerating and downshifting...it's like at a certain point, you try to release the gas slow, and it just cuts the throttle. Then ease onto it, throttle jumps back on. Probably something common in most 2-cylinder bikes, but still annoying especially when riding hard around corners in the backroads.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Ehh Insurance...that is kinda of a bitch with this bike. Its not a super sport, its not classified as a super sport, however the vin has the same numbering system as the ZX10R, which means insurance companies think its the same bike. The ZX10R is very expensive to insure and so goes the Ninja 1000 because of this. Progressive quoted me at 4,000 dollars a year for full coverage. Mind you i am 29, clean record, decent credit. Almost every company i called and i called them all, they all wanted like 2,000 to 4,000 dollars a year for full coverage because everyone thinks its a ZX10. The only company that was even remotely reasonable was state farm. Statefarm does two things differently, first they only rate motorcycles on engine size and two they rate insurance for a full year, meaning they dont lower insurance in the winter for storage, its just one rate year round. I pay around 600 bucks a year for full coverage on my bike combined with my car.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Ehh Insurance...that is kinda of a bitch with this bike. Its not a super sport, its not classified as a super sport, however the vin has the same numbering system as the ZX10R, which means insurance companies think its the same bike. The ZX10R is very expensive to insure and so goes the Ninja 1000 because of this. Progressive quoted me at 4,000 dollars a year for full coverage. Mind you i am 29, clean record, decent credit. Almost every company i called and i called them all, they all wanted like 2,000 to 4,000 dollars a year for full coverage because everyone thinks its a ZX10. The only company that was even remotely reasonable was state farm. Statefarm does two things differently, first they only rate motorcycles on engine size and two they rate insurance for a full year, meaning they dont lower insurance in the winter for storage, its just one rate year round. I pay around 600 bucks a year for full coverage on my bike combined with my car.
we all have to pay for a full year here, 'winter storage' doesnt mean anything to them lol. Curious what my insurance would be on a new 1000 though compared to my 650

·
Registered
215 Posts
The Ninja 1000 is better for long trips and if you want the full fairing look.

The Z1000 is better for shorter trips with its reduced wind protection, and there will be a new design for 2014, more like the ZX-10R with a better frame and suspension, more power and more electronics.

I would also look at a leftover new or used Yamaha FZ8 or a new FZ-09, or a Triumph Street Triple R or Speed Triple.

For more money and more long trip comfort the Kawasaki ZX-14 or the Yamaha FJR-1300 would be nice. The newer Concours has linked front and back brakes that many reviewers do not like. The older Concours has a dated but reliable and comfortable design.

For used the 2008 ZZR600 has 90 horsepower, and with better seat padding does 300 miles a day with enough comfort for me.
I've got 5k miles on my Connie now and don't mind the linked brakes at all - they are kinda awkward at first but once you get used to them they are fine.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I pay $1400/yr for the Concours and am younger than you are - honestly I think the Concours would be a good fit for the guy - plenty of power (enough to do wheelies if you are so inclined with traction control off) and then you have the comfort factor on long rides. Power windshield and just the mass of the bike make it a quiet ride - I just finished a 2,000 mile trip on mine.

Also you have hard luggage which I really like.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I pay $1400/yr for the Concours and am younger than you are - honestly I think the Concours would be a good fit for the guy - plenty of power (enough to do wheelies if you are so inclined with traction control off) and then you have the comfort factor on long rides. Power windshield and just the mass of the bike make it a quiet ride - I just finished a 2,000 mile trip on mine.

Also you have hard luggage which I really like.
I would not buy the concours. For one, I really don't like the look of the luggage things on the side. Despite that, I hate the look of the bike overall. If plate costs weren't an issue here I would look at a supersport, but since they are an issue, the ninja 1000 seems like my best bet for something that looks and feels sporty without me paying $1100/year to plate.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would not buy the concours. For one, I really don't like the look of the luggage things on the side. Despite that, I hate the look of the bike overall. If plate costs weren't an issue here I would look at a supersport, but since they are an issue, the ninja 1000 seems like my best bet for something that looks and feels sporty without me paying $1100/year to plate.
Its one of those things - you either love it or you hate it. I've thought they looked cool since I first saw one, but YMMV.

Also, Jesus Christ - $1100 year for a plate? Do they at least lube up first?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I can't tolerate the aggressive riding position of the SS bikes - even my first bike (a 650) was uncomfortable for me for more than about an hour.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Its one of those things - you either love it or you hate it. I've thought they looked cool since I first saw one, but YMMV.

Also, Jesus Christ - $1100 year for a plate? Do they at least lube up first?
oh, they don't invest our tax dollars in lube, instead they f*ck us up the ass in many other ways to go along with the price of plates.

$590 plates for any bike above 400CC, but if it's a supersport, it's automatically $1100.00 per year for a plate. Yep. Then there's insurance.Quebec gonna quebec...lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts