Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into the local dealership a couple weeks ago and got to see the 2011 ninja 250rSE green and black and loved it. But i had to wait a week before i would have the money to pick it up and when i went back to the dealership it had sold. I have been talking to the dealership for the past couple days trying to get them to locate me another 2011 ninja and they are telling me that none of the dealerships around here have any left. But he did tell me that he located a 2010 red model and i just went ahead and agreed to it. So now i am waiting for them to take delivery of the 2010 ninja 250r in red. I really wanted the new green or white paint schemes but dont want to wait any longer for a bike. Has anyone else seen that there is a shortage of 2011 models in there area?

· Get off of my lawn Dammit
46,944 Posts
I went into the local dealership a couple weeks ago and got to see the 2011 ninja 250rSE green and black and loved it. But i had to wait a week before i would have the money to pick it up and when i went back to the dealership it had sold. I have been talking to the dealership for the past couple days trying to get them to locate me another 2011 ninja and they are telling me that none of the dealerships around here have any left. But he did tell me that he located a 2010 red model and i just went ahead and agreed to it. So now i am waiting for them to take delivery of the 2010 ninja 250r in red. I really wanted the new green or white paint schemes but dont want to wait any longer for a bike. Has anyone else seen that there is a shortage of 2011 models in there area?

You sir, are a dealers delight. Your impatience led you to purchase a bike you really didn't want and you probably paid way too much for it.

I've read other posts where dealers have told people the same thing. I have also read it's BS so....:dunno: Good luck with your bike though. I'm sure you'll love it. ;)

· Registered
277 Posts
250R has been Kawasaki's best selling bike for years. With gas prices the way they are and the jump in price from 250R to 600r being a huge gap the 250R's are selling very quickly. In some areas they are having trouble keeping every color in stock. Large metro areas have more Kawi dealers to choose from and make finding the color you want easier.
If the local dealer is telling you they can not get what you are looking for call Kawasaki Customer service and ask them if it is still available for dealers to order.

· Registered
103 Posts
I had to call every dealer within 50mi to find a new one, and that store only had one. Luckily a local store got one the day I was supposed to go get the one across the state. According to this there is a shortage because Asian manufacturers were not sending as many here due to the economy. Some dealers have actually had their orders cancelled.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2011/...running-short/

· Registered
18 Posts
Well I bought mine on a Tuesday. The Saturday 3 days before they sold 2 black ones. Then on the Tuesday that I bought mine they sold 3 green special editions within a few hours that I was at the dealership. I would normally say the dealer is just telling you they're in demand but selling at least 5 that I know of at one dealership in less than a week... I'm thinking they're hot right now (especially hard to find the black ones).

· Registered
174 Posts
Conditions are similar to 2008. I live in the Tampa area and for weeks no dealers had them. One shop had one on order for me for about 8 weeks. Finally found one in the Orlando area after months of trying to make a purchase. Gas prices then were close to what they are now and the demand was higher than availability.
Bill

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cant really say i am purchasing a bike i don't want. I would have preferred the green or white pain scheme but the red is also a nice looking color on this bike. And i am paying 4315.55$ OTD and that includes taxes, title, and license. The only reason it's not higher is because the dealer does not charge any extra fees. Anyway, i am sure i will enjoy the new bike alot.

· Registered
2 Posts
I actually just got mine yesterday. I went in looking at used bikes and settled for a gsxr 750 but after thinking about it i settled on the 250r. The shop i went to had 4 of them sitting around. They had 3 black ones and 1 green one.

· Registered
18 Posts
I actually just got mine yesterday. I went in looking at used bikes and settled for a gsxr 750 but after thinking about it i settled on the 250r. The shop i went to had 4 of them sitting around. They had 3 black ones and 1 green one.
Damn, where do you live? I bet those black ones will go quick (at least they would in DC).

· Registered
35 Posts
Not sure if there is a shortage, thing I hate about dealers around me is they get 1 or 2 bikes in, and there ususally the same color. They can order other colors but I like to see what I'm buying before I buy it. So I want to see what the 3 different choices I have in person, I want to sit on them before I buy.

· Registered
31 Posts
The dealership in my town said they ordered 10, and had received 3 or 4 so far. Also when I was there almost a month ago they were sold out but had a couple in crates. One of the crated bikes was finally finished this week and is now in the show room.

· Registered
27 Posts
I as well just recently went to my local Kawi dealer at Long Beach motorsports, the salesmen said the same exact thing. "These bikes are a top seller more than any other bike here on the floor and have been selling left and right. Their becomming harder to buy due to the economy going to crap, everyone wants to save on gas, so It'd be smart to get them while their here before we sell out". Walking in the store i asked him if he had any 08'-10' models as well, answer i got, "no". Again he fell back on the answer that "the 250's are so practical that I'm running out of these quick". Understandable, but dont try and sucker me in when im just looking. Granted he's a salesmen doing his job... None the less, there will not be a shortage of these bikes

· Registered
28,587 Posts
You sir, are a dealers delight. Your impatience led you to purchase a bike you really didn't want and you probably paid way too much for it.

I've read other posts where dealers have told people the same thing. I have also read it's BS so....:dunno: Good luck with your bike though. I'm sure you'll love it. ;)
this. you have to be willing to walk out if they won't meet your price.

· Registered
75 Posts
they have one 2011 SE in green here in flagstaff az at northland motorsports. Just picked mine up 3 weeks ago, there were 2 ninjas still there yesterday one more green and a black left. I asked the dealer about other colors and he said he could order whatever i wanted so maybe its just in your area? they dont bend on the price though i paid 5400 out the door

· Registered
15 Posts
From what I understand from what I've been told, the 2011s are in short supply as a result of the earthquake and tsunami over in Japan. Their distrubution was interrupted to such a degree that they're not shipping as many units, and when combined with the increased motorcycle sales from gas prices, it's resulting in shortages.

I'm not sure about bicycles, but local news had a report a couple weeks ago that bicycle and scooter sales in the St. Louis area are up 150% over last year.

All the dealers around here are short on them and have to order them, and have sold through all their 09's and 10's as a result.

This isn't limited to Kawasaki though, I have a friend who works for a Honda dealership/service center, and Honda parts have almost dried up. They're just now starting to get back to normalcy, but it's going to be a while before the supply chain is back to normal.

· Registered
31 Posts
Well it looks like we ran into the same problem, I put a deposit on my ebony/ivory model and I still have to wait for about 2-3 weeks before mine shows up. I'm in Abilene,TX and from what I've been told everywhere is having shortages for all the same reasons ive read. I just left a deposit for the reason that I wanted that ebony/ivory setup. Why didn't you leave a deposit for the scheme you wanted.

· Registered
35 Posts
Not sure about a shortage. I'm looking to get a 250r, I would really like a blue one. 2011 doesn't come in blue but a local shop has a 2010 in blue so I though I'd check it out. They want 4299 for a 2010 blue. They also have 2 LE green 2011 250r's in stock for 3999. I did a double check to the guy when he told me a the price. Not sure what the deal is, the guy wouldn't really give me a reason for the difference, tried playing dumb. IMO more people want the blue and they know its not being made anymore so they raised the price. Just my opinion.

· Registered
181 Posts
Hey sorry to hear about your trouble. I just recently bought my 2011 Ninja 250R in the white and I had to travel 4 hours to get it. From what they told me they are sitting on the dock in Japan waiting to be sent over but it takes a month for the boat to get to California then they disburse from there. I use to work in the Shelby wheels warehouse and our manufacturer was in China and it took a month to get our shipments. I am sure that they will get them here asap since they are selling off the shelves. Like I said I had to called 10+ places and travel 4 hours to get mine. Well worth the wait, time and trouble. Good luck to you getting yours.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.