Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been going over this bike with a fine toothed comb and still cant find my problem.

I just got done checking the tree for play and binding and there is none. The tripple feels like it was put together by angels. So that's not the problem.

It feels like the rotors are warped when I apply the front brakes, but I know it is not the rotors or pads because I replaced them and the problem didn't go away or change at all. The problem is not in the forks, and I checked the front bearings and they feel like new.

I put a zip tie on the front brake to the brakes would drag and I turned the front wheel. There is a tight spot (or loose spot either way) that seems to always be in the same spot. Again, that should point to the rotors being warped, but I've already ruled that out.

So all that's left are the calipers, master cylinder, hoses, and lever. Nothing is leaking and all the seals are good. So first of all, I'm wondering how the hell anything thats left could be causing this let alone how to check the parts (other then the hoses) to see if they are.

Anyone born with a wrench in there hand care to hook me up on some knowledge here?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I'm sorry I can't help you Weebel, but what kind of jack stands are those? The only ones I can find are from Pitbull, and they're damn expensive! Hope you have some luck figuring your problem out!

Oh, and I don't think you actually listed your problem unless it was in another post. I know you said it feels like the rotors are warped, but what are your actual symptoms that makes you think that?

·
Registered
18 Posts
+1 - not sure what the problem you are chasing is. Tried to mic up and dial gauge the rotors? if its an inconsistent dragging issue you are feeling, then that could do it, especially if you feel it at the same spot all the time?

is it a front end chatter you are feeling or some other symptom?

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
The bearings "feel good"? To be certain you need to pull them out and look at them. Make sure they're torqued down correctly too. Allballsracing.com has tapered roller bearings that replace the factory ball bearings. You could look into those. I will when the time comes to replace mine. I pull mine every winter for inspection and new grease.

If it's a chattering problem I don't see how the brakes could cause it IF the rotors are straight. They either apply pressure or they don't. I could be missing a concept here, so don't quote me on it.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
The fact that you have a "tight spot" leads me to believe the rotors are warped. Are the rotors used? You need to mic that shit out.

·
Registered
626 Posts

possibly could be your problem? discs arent allowed to float? just something to check!

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those black stands on both sides are PSR stands, I got them from dennis kirk. The front and rear stands are Pitbull.

And as I said, it feels like the front rotors are warped, like when your in a car and you get that pulsation when you apply the brakes if the rotors are warped almost like your pumping the brake but your not. Every once in a great while if the brake pressure is right, the calipers can buzz and vibrate when Im stopping but its rare. Nothing from the tree, its all coming from down by the axle when I apply the brakes.

As for the rotors, I put a brand new set of full floating EBC rotors with new pads on the bike and it didnt change a thing. There is no way it can be the rotors themselves.

As for the wheel bearings, I have a set of the all balls bearings for my bike sitting on my tool box, but the ones that are in there are definitely OK.

·
Registered
528 Posts
If the front rotor mounting surface isn't true, then it won't matter if you bolt on new rotors. Check the front wheel to see if it's bent slightly. Also, did you torque the rotors correctly in a cross pattern?

·
Registered
653 Posts
So a little update for you guys since our problems are kind of the same. I was getting the jack knifing as well and noticed I had a collar missing off the front wheel. Got the collar on and now the problem has basically gone away but now it's a very fast vibration when applying little pressure that goes away fully when I apply anything more. Tried swapping my old rotors but I see that they are bent as I loose brake pressure with those. Any ideas?????

The bike rolls freely and the tires move without a snag on the stand. Don't hear any scratching noise anymore either. Maybe I need to break the pads in a little more???

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn dude you where missing a collar? Your lucky you didnt crash lol.

As for my problem, and possibly yours. Ive been checking around and assuming that the calipers are not malfunctioning, the most likely cause is either a loose or worn head bearing. At least that seems so be the most common consensus.

I'm going to pull my calipers and check them out but I have a spanner wrench coming in the mail that I am going to tighten down the tree with (assuming it will) and see if that effects it any. Screw the hillbilly screw driver and hammer shit. I want to feel how tight it is plus thats a bullshit way of doing something regardless. I dont care how many people do it.

If adjusting it will effect the problem, I'll know thats it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Damn dude you where missing a collar? Your lucky you didnt crash lol.

As for my problem, and possibly yours. Ive been checking around and assuming that the calipers are not malfunctioning, the most likely cause is either a loose or worn head bearing. At least that seems so be the most common consensus.

I'm going to pull my calipers and check them out but I have a spanner wrench coming in the mail that I am going to tighten down the tree with (assuming it will) and see if that effects it any. Screw the hillbilly screw driver and hammer shit. I want to feel how tight it is plus thats a bullshit way of doing something regardless. I dont care how many people do it.

If adjusting it will effect the problem, I'll know thats it.
yea I was doing some reading earlier as well and saw that. I actually had a shop press in my old bearings from the old frame into this one and they said it went smoothly but i have been riding it around and the front feels a little loose when i brake or hit a bump. I should probably take it back up there to them and have them tighten it down or something.

·
Registered
653 Posts
So I went ahead and took it to the shop today to have these bolt fittings pressed into the frame and have em take a look at the head bearings. When I got there the guy was like yea u needed to bring the bike back in when u got it back together so we can re adjust it. I took it as bullshit and them just not tightening it down in the first place but they got it done and now it's a lot better. The vibration is pretty much gone but it does come back occasionally and happens over 40mph under it's gone. I also have been hearing the brakes squeak when applied. Otherwise it's pretty good now. I did a bunch of 80mph to 40 braking on the expressway and couldn't tell if it was the road or the bike which makes me feel a little better. Pretty much the problem is gone though.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A little bit of an update.

I tore the top of the tripple apart an tightened down the nuts. The lock nut wasn't even hand tight. I can feel a definite difference now.

The pulsation in the lever is gone but the pulsation in the front end is still there although a little less bad. So tightening the tree down did effect it. I'll have to tear apart the front end and check the bearings this winter. One of them almost has to be bad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts