Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I've been adding bits and bobs to my bike since the day i bought it literaly :)

Here's a list of the stuff that i've got already:
*Pazzo levers
*double bubble screen
*-1, +2 Renthal sprockets and chain
*Power commander
*Akrapovic slip-on
*ingition module
*quickshifter
*speedohealer
*heated grips
*frame sliders
*sliders on both wheels
*fender eliminator
*LED rear indicators
*K&N air filter
*Passenger seat cowl
*carbon fiber undertail
*carbon fiber heel guards
*carbon fiber dash panels
*carbon fiber side panels (the ones under the fuel tank)
*engraved bar end sliders
*stompgrips
*relocated brake reservoir
*tom tom
*number plate with letters made of real carbon fiber
*no stickers (might come up with something custom)

things i won't invest in:
*shocks/forks
*rearsets
*break upgrades

basically it's a bike i ride around the town, i already did a mistake by installing a quickshifter as i rarely get to use it so no need for all the racing parts...

Things i'd like to add:
*ohlins steering damper (wanna learn wheelies plus the front lifts at 10k+ rpm and roads in london are bumpy so thought it'd be safer if i got that)
*Black GP style footpegs (can't seem to find it in UK)
*HID kit (maybe, don't ride outside the city at night so no point really)
*body colour (wildlife orange, couldn't find a company that would match it well yet) or white pearl (maybe) belly pans as they are black plastic on european models.

So, am i missing something interesting/useful/pretty or just cool in general here?

All opinions are welcome! (oh, unless you are a member called 'nocontrol')

EDIT:
Someone has mentioned rim tapes. i've got those as well (didn't dyno the bike afterwards but i'm pretty sure it runs smoother and added at least 5bhp lol) :D

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I dont know why you wouldnt want ss break lines. Well worth the money. And they are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I dont know why you wouldnt want ss break lines. Well worth the money. And they are pretty cheap.
The ss brake lines kick ass! Much better than stock. I would also upgrade to a performance pad set front and rear to. You could add the kaw racing kit cams, head gaskets.... Do the Ivans servo motor eliminator and the air block off kit they offer. Different wheels would be kick ass, lighter weight ones. The attack performance racing bar clip ons and upper and lower triple clamps. Oh yeah also you could just get your foot pegs powder coated black dude.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Performance = Nothing if you dont have the power to stop it

but ur bike i guess

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You know I always thought I wouldn't upgrade the lines...then I did because I found a good deal and after I got the 675 I had to...

ss lines take away the "spongy" feeling when you brake. When you're pulling up to a stop light with stock, there's that moment where you can't feel anything and it doesn't feel like the bike is stopping. ss lines don't do that and have a smooth, constant feedback to them when you brake. Do the ss lines, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
gauge color mod?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Performance = Nothing if you dont have the power to stop it

but ur bike i guess

totally agree with your point here but besides power and brakes you have to have balls to ride it to it's fullest first and i must admit are still growing a pair of mine for extreme riding :D

i am after all a fairly new to biking, it's my first bike, i got it in september 08 before that i haven't even had a moped lol

i love the speed in a straight line though hence a few power upgrades..

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
it might sound silly but what is exactly a benefit from those?
Here:

ss lines take away the "spongy" feeling when you brake. When you're pulling up to a stop light with stock, there's that moment where you can't feel anything and it doesn't feel like the bike is stopping. ss lines don't do that and have a smooth, constant feedback to them when you brake. Do the ss lines, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gauge color mod?
hehe, just this morning i sent an email enquiry abotu this one ;)
thinking of going blue for dial, red for red line and white for display.

after all, looks like it was worth posting all this coz now i might think of those ss lines and other brake upgrades, seems more logical i guess now:)

oh, and as for tyres, i'm gonna get something non stock in spring, at the moment they're being eatten by salt on london roads any way so no point in changing yet

but thanks for your opinions guys!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The ss brake lines kick ass! Much better than stock. I would also upgrade to a performance pad set front and rear to. You could add the kaw racing kit cams, head gaskets.... Do the Ivans servo motor eliminator and the air block off kit they offer. Different wheels would be kick ass, lighter weight ones. The attack performance racing bar clip ons and upper and lower triple clamps. Oh yeah also you could just get your foot pegs powder coated black dude.

ok, i'm not really that mechanically minded so i'm not entirely familiar with how things work and what some of them are:)

could someone please explain me what would changing those (see below) do and how they work? oh, and where to get them lol

kaw racing kit cams
head gaskets ( i know what this one does but not sure why stock isn't good enough?)
Ivans servo motor eliminator and the air block off kit

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
ok, i'm not really that mechanically minded so i'm not entirely familiar with how things work and what some of them are:)

could someone please explain me what would changing those (see below) do and how they work? oh, and where to get them lol

kaw racing kit cams
head gaskets ( i know what this one does but not sure why stock isn't good enough?)
Ivans servo motor eliminator and the air block off kit

Thanks!
Pascals Law states a force exerted on a confined liquid if transmitted equally and undiminished in all directions.

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/WindTunnel/Activities/Pascals_principle.html

So just by knowing that the nature of a braking system means rubber brake lines will expand slightly as you apply the brakes. Because the forces applied to calipers are also being applied to the hoses you lose braking force and inturn because this results in a "spongy" feel you can also in essence lose desirable "feedback".

Skilled riders can appreciate this more than noobs. SS lines can be dangerous if you're not familiar with the limitations and capabilities of your stock braking system. Stunters do SS lines almost the first day they get a new bike cause they want to do stoppies. If you don't know how to do stoppies and aren't skilled enough to modulate braking pressure under emergency situations you could end up kissing the pavement directly infront of your skinny tire if you know what I mean.

I suggest getting them but get more seat time before you do. Or like you've done here ask the right questions and understand what they do and how they work and what the appeal is. They'll help you stop better if you already know how to stop. If you don't know how to stop they'll teach you somthing entirely different LOL.

Habs

EDIT: I read your question wrong. I thought you were asking about SS lines. Oh well I'll leave it up incase some one was curious. As for the rest I could get all technical about those but they're just expensive ways to make a few more HP and poser points IMHO. To say you need that stuff for the street where speed limits are in place would be like me saying I have to compensate for the size of my winky in order to attract the ladies by driving a jacked up 4x4.

·
Registered
73 Posts
*shocks/forks
*rearsets
*break upgrades
You know I disagree with your choice to exclude these parts from the build. Rearsets are a huge improvement in ride comfort and confidence, and any more stopping force to keep you out of a guard-rail or ambulance should be welcomed by any rider. Then you say no suspension?? Talk to any real rider or racer and they'll tell you this is integral to winning races and going fast. Which translates to your a moron if spend $10K+ for a bike and don't pay any attention to the setup of suspension. The only way to go fast, take turns etc is with proper suspension. I am not saying spend thousands of dollar on brand new parts, but make sure the bike is set for you. Aftermarket suspension will greatly improve the way your little ninja steers, accelerates, brakes and turns. Wow that's like everything your bike does. The difference between riding in a Jeep and a Mercedes, SUSPENSION!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ohlins steering damper should be ariving next week! :)

Btw, guys, do you know if it's a good idea to do brake upgrades if i'm riding in winter?... i mean brakes do nees to warm up to work well and on colder days i can even feel them to be less sensitive..
that applies to pads upgrade i guess, again, as i said, i'm still educating myself on all that performace etc science behind bikes :)

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,423 Posts
*shocks/forks
*rearsets
*break upgrades
That's funny, that stuff is like the VERY FIRST parts of the bike that I modify when I buy new bikes. :lol:

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Since we're talking suspension i have a quick question:

I'm a 8 month noob with about 2500 miles under the belt. I'm comfortable with my current suspension.. My question is-- being such a newbie, would it be very beneficial to look into improving my suspension now?? I mean i'm 150-155lbs & like the stock set-up... I'm just beginning to learn & understand the load & preload concepts & am really not all that sure if i'd notice alot of difference w/ different set-ups. Should I still go ahead & look into having someone customize my suspension or hold off until i get a little more seat time??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts