Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently lowsided the bike and damaged the muffler and the plate that is the mount between the stock exhaust and muffler. I bolted up a new muffler and now notice air coming out at what was the part of the plate that was bent a little bit. The exhaust sounds weaker too. With it mounted, I've hammered it flat against the muffler backing and it looks as flush as all the other sides but air still comes out. I know that the (tiny little holes in that close by area of the muffler) are supposed to let air escape but is this normal or should it be completey sealed? I never checked the air flow from this area of the muffler beforehand so I don't know what to compare it to.

Thanks!

Lance

Green/Black 01ZX6r. LP LP flushmount v's, tank guard.

96 SVT Cobra Black/Tan Vert 32V. Not stock!

93 Blue Probe GT 24V Commuter car.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! That is what I thought. I went out and worked the plate a little more to get it as flush as possible and tomorrow, I'll go get some Permatex copper gasket maker to seal any rough surfaces that may be present.

The rest of the bike is ok, just fairings and stuff and I already have the parts but I'm waiting for the pads for the fairings. Amazing that Kawi doesn't put these on already but maybe that's for the racers??

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, back to this again.. I noticed power was down when I used the gasket maker to seal those two little water drainage holes on the muffler. It now revs easier and sounds better with them open. Some air escapes from there but mostly water drips from the condensation when first starting. This must be the right way for it to work because I've tried the gasket a few different ways and each time the result is the same.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have a mechanic look at it, that would be your best bet. Preferably someone good and someone you know.

Good Luck !
-Igor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.