Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so I'm going to my first track day on monday. I'm not bringing my bike since I dont have a trailer and its a 70 mile hike to the track. The shop I bought my bike from goes two times a month and invited me to come check it and hang out for the day. who knows maby it'll become a hobby.

Anyway I'm at the track website checking out the prices, schedules, how everything works and I run across this in the photo album.

Now I've never been to a track, but correct me if I'm wrong....wouldn't he be considered a rider coach? I dont know it made me laugh to hear about all these leather rules and stuff, I mean not even a helmet?

edit: looks like the back of his shirt says training crew?

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
45,304 Posts
If that is a rider coach, he is NOT in the act of coaching. That to me just looks like someone out on the track maybe taking something to one of the corner marshals but it's not a "hot" lap by any means. He's out there for some other reason.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,868 Posts
so I'm going to my first track day on monday. I'm not bringing my bike since I dont have a trailer and its a 70 mile hike to the track. The shop I bought my bike from goes two times a month and invited me to come check it and hang out for the day. who knows maby it'll become a hobby.

Anyway I'm at the track website checking out the prices, schedules, how everything works and I run across this in the photo album.

Now I've never been to a track, but correct me if I'm wrong....wouldn't he be considered a rider coach? I dont know it made me laugh to hear about all these leather rules and stuff, I mean not even a helmet?

edit: looks like the back of his shirt says training crew?
His shirt says 'track crew'. When the track traffic is pitted the track crew will go around usually on mopeds at some tracks to make sure things are still peachy. Relax, there's no conspiracy. :rolleyes::D

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well that certainly clears up some, like I said I've never been to the track look forward to this upcoming Monday

·
Registered
885 Posts
I'm confused, did you say that you are not taking your bike B/C you don't have a trailer and the track is 700 miles away? Or 70 miles away?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
If the problem is you don't have a trailer and say your going their for a riding school I would always recommend taking your own bike. And to get around the trailer I would recommend UHAUL and just rent one for the weekend or what not. Unless its an issue with money to track ready the bike or the track school offers great bikes (i.e. cal superbike I think offers zx-6rs or some school does in cali)....

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Uhaul rents a "bike-specific" trailer for $15/day here in Philly. It may be less in TN.

--David

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
I've rented the U Haul trailer, it's not bad. Logistics is my main issue with renting it as despite living in Houston and having 37 million Uhaul locations, there are literally 3 stores that 'carry' the moto trailers, and it's a crapshoot as to which one will have one when I need it. I've had their trailer up to 75+mph with my bike on it, no issues, despite the small tires that come on it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm not bringing my bike because I dont have a trailer, its about a 89miles or so(googlemaps say 1hr 47mins drive time) that I'd be taking alone on my bike if I did so. I'm not sure I wanna ride alone, for 100 miles at 7 in the morning. So instead I'm going to hang out with guys I know and get there around 9 or so and just hang out (and use my new nikon!!!). I dont think I'm 'ready' for the track just yet and the guys I'd be going with are going to give me alot of help over the next few months before I spend money on track time, leathers, and possibly a class.

and I drive a Ford Explorer sport trac....no one lets me rent not uhaul, not budget so that route doesn't work

·
Registered
49 Posts
That was my first thought, he is a corner worker or track marshal of some type. No big deal if he rides without gear.. i'm sure he wasn't burning up the track :)

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
I've rented the U Haul trailer, it's not bad. Logistics is my main issue with renting it as despite living in Houston and having 37 million Uhaul locations, there are literally 3 stores that 'carry' the moto trailers, and it's a crapshoot as to which one will have one when I need it. I've had their trailer up to 75+mph with my bike on it, no issues, despite the small tires that come on it.
I bet if you call a Uhaul place and reserve a motorcycle trailer, they would have it for you at the designated time and place........??

and I drive a Ford Explorer sport trac....no one lets me rent not uhaul, not budget so that route doesn't work
.....and your biek won't fit in the back??

--David

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
its a 4 foot bed. and with the tailgate down its a little more than 5

when I took the bike home the back tire was half on half off. No way am do i wanna drive for almost 2 hours with the bike like that, I'm paranoid

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah i know its not going anywhere, but the next thing is, i dont have a ramp, or a way of getting it off. for that matter getting it on.

I've put thought into it, eventually I'll bring her to the track and start another expensive hobby.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sometimes your local bike shop will let you use their loading ramp...

Don't worry about being "ready" for a track day. If it's your first time, it's not about speed at all. It's all about getting comfortable on your bike and pushing it a little harder in a safer environment. But I totally hear you when you say that you don't want to start another expensive hobby. Track days can get expensive. I've been to several without my bike just to hang with friends and help out, and I've enjoyed myself plenty. You're going to have fun either way.

but you'll wish you brought your bike once they start going!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts