Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
The performance gained from a better brake system is worth more than a blinged out master cylinder.

You could put that on my 650.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
The ZX6R brakes (and forks) that are on my 650 are a HUGE, HUGE world of difference compared to the stock 650 stuff.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Beware of e-bay stores. The 650 doesn't have a remote fluid resevoir. These are usually associated with a radial master cylinder. It won't work on the 650.

Rob

·
Registered
59 Posts
I put a ZX-6 master on mine. Worlds of improvement. The 650 handlebars don't have a mount for the remote reservoir so I just drilled the handlebar and put a bolt through. But yeah, the reservoir is pointless without a radial master.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put a ZX-6 master on mine. Worlds of improvement. The 650 handlebars don't have a mount for the remote reservoir so I just drilled the handlebar and put a bolt through. But yeah, the reservoir is pointless without a radial master.

Radial master? sorry for the newb question, im just trying to learn as much as i possibly can about bikes.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Some people are confusing a radial master cylinder versus any master with a remote fluid reservoir. A radial master cylinder has the piston and cylinder turned 90 degrees compared to a conventional master cylinder. It is a feature that is different than having a separate fluid reservoir. In fact, the MC's on my mountain bike are radial, but do not have remote reservoirs.

This is from a 2003-2004 ZX6R:

It has a remote reservoir, but is not a radial master. The cylinder runs parallel to the handlebar.

This is a newer ZX6R radial master:

The cylinder is perpendicular to the handlebar. The idea is that it's a more rigid setup, but having run both back to back with 05-06 ZX6R calipers and rotors I can't say that it's a huge difference, at least on the street.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Do you have any pics?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Some people are confusing a radial master cylinder versus any master with a remote fluid reservoir. A radial master cylinder has the piston and cylinder turned 90 degrees compared to a conventional master cylinder. It is a feature that is different than having a separate fluid reservoir. In fact, the MC's on my mountain bike are radial, but do not have remote reservoirs.
My bad, and thanks for the explanation. I will try to post pics later.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ok so here are the pics of the 2004 ZX6 master installed on my 650. I now know thanks to Jason that this is not a radial cylinder. Nontheless, the improvement in feel is phenomenal. It's much easier to properly ease on the front brake than with the old m/c. The lines are Galfer SS that I had before I switched cylinders. I got them to work without having to put too much stress on them, but if you haven't already upgraded lines I'd buy the Speigler ones since they have rotating ends which should make fitment a lot easier. My handlebar also has 1" less rise than the stock, so that's something to consider as well. I mounted the reservoir just using an M8 bolt through the bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Nice! I am pretty sure you can reuse your stock or aftermarket 650 brake lever with the 03-04 ZX6R master cylinder as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts