Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been seeing all these crash posts up lately. I have crashed or been down yet and I always hear people saying that it is not if you crash, its when you crash or go down. No matter how cautious we are at riding, is there still the possibility that we will go down or crash at some point? I know sometimes it is not our fault most of the time (accidents), but there is always that what if? Are there any long time riders that have never crashed or been down?

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
My first crash I got hit by a deer that jumped out from the side of the road, directly into my bike. It was so random and sudden. No way to prevent that kind of thing besides not ride at all.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Depends on how you ride. If you ride very conservatively, sure you have a good chance of not crashing.If Push harder at the track and at least you will probably walk away....but if you are pushing - you are crashing IMO.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've only been riding for a few months now. Haven't laid the bike down yet, but I'm trying my hardest to postpone that day as far as possible.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Always wear gear, lol.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
My dad's been riding 25+ years and never took any MSF courses and he's never been down - he's in the slow lane with the loud pipes though (Harley's)

I heard you're most likely to go down within the first 6 months of riding and my only crash was exactly 6 months after I first jumped on a bike :(

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've been riding on the street for about 2 years now. Haven't been down yet. Started out for a couple weeks on our old (but nice) 1972 Suzuki TS125. Then I went to the 1981 Yamaha Maxim 650 when my dad got his new bike, and now I've got the '08 Ninja 250.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Theres a formula somewhere that will tell you when you will crash, and how many times over your lifetime. You just got to plug in your location, hours/year, personality, and a couple hundred other things. So mathamatically yes it is possible you may never crash.

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that aggressive/thrillseeking riders are more likely to wipe out than relaxed/commuting riders. I mean, sometimes they would go fast that they MIGHT miss the slightest thing thats critical. While the inexperienced skills will lead them down to it too. I mean, just my first 2nd week of owning ninja, I wiped out taking a slow turn into gravel road.. The second time, was aggressive and not paying attention so I wiped out. After that, I haven't crashed anymore so far due to calmed down attitude with the devastating conclusions. I'm glad I started on the 250 instead of 600, who knows it wouldn't be rideable anymore after first two crashes. My Ninja 250 is being treated slowly, and will be beautiful before spring season rolls in. :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
I took the MSF course the last weekend of june rode a friends cbr 600 for a grand total of maybe 50mi before I bought the 7r. I had it all of 3 weeks before I laid her down. My problem is I got too comfortable too quick then got in over my head when I came into a turn too quick caught some gravel and the rear got squirrely on me then I panicked and hit the brakes. Im and aggressive ride Im just cautious to my surroundings know my limits, which are nowhere near the capabilities of the bikes.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've been riding for 31 years. Had my first wreck on the street 2 1/2 years ago. I don't count dirt bike crashes. Everyone has them.

The more you ride, the higher the risk factor.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Riding on the track is probably the best (safest) way to experience a crash. I've been down numerous times on the street but only once at the track. (1- Highside is all it takes, to humble you down) But I've been hit by a drunk-lady while pulling into a gas station, hit a dog on the freeway, and had a low-side here and there.........some of them from trying to stunt, but I still count those as wrecks, because they STILL cost me money out of my pocket.

I've been fortunate to not have any serious injuries. Got some road rash from the drunk-lady, and some stitches from a stop-sign (long-story, but don't go "backing-it in" on public roads while making left turns with cars running red lights) But my wreck on a hot-summer day being an idiot and leaving my gear at home and wearing a tank-top and shorts, I low-sided into the mountain at 85mph and only got a slight bruise on my knee and rashed up gloves (Someone was watching out for me)...............................

But I've got some friends that have never wrecked ever with 20+years of Sportbike riding.

But it only takes one time for you not to be able to ride anymore.......so I strongly suggest Gearing UP and stay alert. Also keep your bike in tip top shape-------seen some horrific accidents from mechanical failures, such as brake lever missing bolt so no brakes at Tortilla Flats, or faulty headlights that shut off from bad wiring.............just try to be wise and watch yourself.

When on a bike..........your safety comes first.........always!!!!!!!!!(Even if that means having a cop follow you an extra mile to get off a notorious highway or accident prone location)

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
You can be as cautious as you want but that won't prevent drivers from making illegal U-turns, turning left in front of you, animals coming out of no where, gravel left on the road, black ice, etc. etc. etc.

There are some people who manage decades of riding and never go down. I call these people the very lucky exception to the rule.

You will go down. Wear your gear, don't act like a complete asshat and you'll probably walk away to live another day.

FWIW.....4 years of riding and gone down twice.

·
Registered
592 Posts
You can be as cautious as you want but that won't prevent drivers from making illegal U-turns, turning left in front of you, animals coming out of no where, gravel left on the road, black ice, etc. etc. etc.

There are some people who manage decades of riding and never go down. I call these people the very lucky exception to the rule.

You will go down. Wear your gear, don't act like a complete asshat and you'll probably walk away to live another day.

FWIW.....4 years of riding and gone down twice.

Well said-

A little over 4 years and over 30,000 miles and I have been down once., (which I think are pretty good stats).

IMO, you put yourself at higher risk (street riding) when you add in different factors. Wet roads, riding in congested traffic, and riding late at night... among other things. My personal wreck occured late at night where I was taken out by a drunk driver. That was over two years ago and I still have a little trouble riding at night- especially without street lights.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
In my opinion, riding a Motorcycle is no different than riding a bike, or driving a cage. Your attitude, and abilities, help but are not 100% of the factoring issues with an accident. I have been riding for almost 23 year, and have had 1 street accident. 100% my attitudes fault. Showing off for the ladies, I lifted the front off the ground, and came down hard. did not think anything about it until 30 minutes later while showing off again on the freeway. got the bike to 85 MPH as fast as I could, and then the damage to the front tire showed itself, and decided to completely leave the bike. I had damaged the tire severely, and it blew at 85. Now that was a ride let me tell ya. Like I said, it is just like driving a cage, riding a bike, picking up random chicks at the bar.... The more you do it, the chances of an accident go up exponentially. Keeping you squidlyness under control, and and attitude in check will counterbalance the rate, but there is always that chance for the asshat next to you is not. Since that accident 15 years ago, I always ride and drive, thinking that the next thing I do could kill a bus load of kids. I am not saying ride in fear, or knowing you will wreck someday. I am saying ride for the love of riding, but always, ALWAYS, wear your gear. Ride with some common sense, and self control. Ride within YOUR abilities. And if the day should come that you fall, you have a way better chance of walking away, with the knowledge that you did what you could. RIDE SAFE

1 - 20 of 39 Posts