Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not on purpose either!

I just want to share my story here so other riders can benefit...

Last night, ride home from work, I'm all excited because I just got my new Shoei RF-1000, and I'm feeling like a badass...
Two corners, a long sweeping lefter and then a slightly tighter blind right over a curved bridge.
I'm coming through the first corner at about 80-85 and I slowed down for the tighter right hander. I shifted my weight and hung out my right knee, ready to go around the bend. I notice half way through that there is a line of traffic on this back road completely stopped in my lane about 100 yds ahead of me, and I'm doing 70 mph.

I stand the bike up as straight as possible and hit both brakes. Well needless to say, I locked up the rear, (before I stood it up I think) and the rear starts sliding to the outside of the corner. I think to myself, stay on the brake, don't let go! Then, THE FRONT LOCKS UP TOO! AHHH, so both wheels start to slide, I instantly released a little pressure from the front brake, and kept on the rear. The bike slid to a nice stop right behind the pick-up truck that was in front of me....

WOO!

It was close, had me thinking about blind corners and whether it is really safe or not on the street...

To give you an idea, I was doing 70 or so coming into this right hander. An older guy I ride with (50 or so) goes into that corner at about 110...so I wasn't really riding "hard" but just practicing shifting my weight and getting off the side of the bike during a corner (preparing for dragging my knee)...

BE SAFE!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
You never know what those blind corners are going to throw your way. Glad to hear you came out of it on the good side.

So did you go home and change your underwear?[:p]

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had some dumbass pull out in front of me earlier this summer and I had to lock it up to avoid hitting him. Now, I've locked up the brakes and started sliding in cars before--but on two wheels, it is a whole new feeling. Pucker factor 9.5!!!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
i have had simliar events happen...

you did good keeping the bike up...

nothing scares you more than the front locking up...or when the rear slides really far out and your just praying you keep enough pressure on the rear brake to keep it from ctaching and highsiding you....

I bet the old adrenaline was pumping....after things like this happen, I feel like the incredible hulk!!!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
This is an illustration of precisely why I don't use the rear brake - if you're on the front anchors hard enough the rear end is going to top out anyway - STAY OFF IT! You're not riding a cruiser!

·
Registered
76 Posts
my friends and i were having this discussion, oh i ride the track they don't and they were lecturing me bout using the rear!?!??! I stay off the rear cuz i don't want it to be habit forming. I ain't valentino rossi so i can't two drift my machine not to mention those radial mounts can stop us just bout quicker than any two wheel set up!!

oh yesterday i was just curious how much better my brakes were than my friend's RC51 Brembos, i stopped a helluva lot quicker, actually i accidentally did my first endo but i absolutely romped all over my friend's brembos

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the words everyone!

I've seen the vids of rossi sliding it around the corner, I'm sure it looked exactly like that, except I had a big brown stain on my pants :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
The only time I ever use the rear is when I am stopped, or I am goofing around.

Whats really fun is going around a corner and getting on it hard enough to break the rear loose. I learned rather quickly that cold pavement and cold tires don't stick.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"Whats really fun is going around a corner and getting on it hard enough to break the rear loose. I learned rather quickly that cold pavement and cold tires don't stick. "

it's fun but still kinda scary and very addicting...i find it the easiest to do on wet pavement. Seems I can control the slide better on the wet pavement too....

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think it's funny that everytime my rear wheel skids out I start freaking out and panicing then after I regain rear traction my adrenaline kicks in and makes me ride faster.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Those guys on the GP bikes aren't using the rear brake to get things sideways, that's a result of the engine braking they're dealing with - if you watch the wheels are still spinning on the way in, not to mention they're braking as hard as humanly possible.

I couldn't find it, but there's a great photo of Kenny Roberts Jr and Alex Criville trying to hose each other at Jerez with the rear hoops hovering an inch or two off the ground while they're cranked over 30 degrees! Had a rear brake been used in that situation things would NOT be pretty.

www.gptechllc.com make some very nice thumb brake set-ups, but those are for tightening up your line mid-corner and keeping wheel-spin to a minimum on exit - trust me STAY OFF that rear brake on corner entry before that rear end comes around to bite you! You're not riding a hog kids, these are superbikes - the rear break is smaller and weaker for a reason!

Ride safe - ride fast

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
i thought that they do powerslides around those corners. maybe the back squirmming out before the corner is when they are using the brakes and engine braking and then through the corner some of thewm can powerslide

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Spartan that's pretty much what happens, between hovering the rear hoops on the pavement to the engine braking they're putting up with; that's what gets them sideways on the way in. Those lurid slides on the way out are something else though!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
it seems to be fixed...apparently is was a problem with the boards...

darn, and here i wished I had some fans ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.