Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and found nothing on this. I've heard some say that a non CA kit won't work on a CA bike. I actually have the dynojet CA kit at home, but haven't put it on yet after seeing negative posts about it. I spoke with the secretary at Ivans and she said their kit would work on a CA bike. Would you have to delete the emission equipment for it to work right?? If so why? I don't see why a non CA kit would not work on a CA bike. I was also wondering why the dynojet kit sucks so bad. I went to two shops here in town and they both said the dynojet kits are just as good as anything else, and can be tweaked just like any other kit. I'm confused......:( Sorry about all the questions, but I want to get my bike dyno tuned and keep getting conflicting information.

·
Registered
320 Posts
For most bikes , yes Dynojet makes a quality product,but for the zx-9r it is not the jet kit to buy. It takes a band aide approach to correcting the off on issues that zx9r's are famous for by having you install brass plugs in one of the two air tubes in each carb, which does not work that well and then you are pretty much stuck with them once they are in. And then my bike still did not run right, the other kits take a much more complete approach to modifying the carbs with needle and jet design. I tried the dynojet when I first bought my bike before all the forums were around and it was a nightmare, I then went with the Ivans even without having the floats set and carbs sysced by a professional the bike ran a whole lot better and felt alot stronger than with the dynojet. By all means if you want to install it be our geust but you will have a hard time convicing the many guys on this site and zx12r.org that the dynojet is worth a crap. Ivans and Factpory don't have the reputation they do for know reason, jet kits are cheap it's not like you are choosing between a 1000$ Akrapovic exhaust and a 400$ D&D. Its only like 50$ difference.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Oh yeah the shops that said the dynojet was the kit to get, ,did they possibly sell the dynojet kits?
Bet they did and bet they did not stock the Ivans.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response! Yeah you're right. One shop did sell dynojet...the other didn't, but used them quite a bit. I want the best one for my bike, so I guess I can sell the dynojet and get the Ivans. I just want to make sure it will work on a CA bike with emissions crap. Does anyone know if it will work, and if so do I have to delete the emissions???

·
Registered
320 Posts
Cool, you get it now, dynojet makes great products, I just thinked they missed the mark on the zx9r kit, makes sense since they have put all of they money into the power comande rand the wide band stuf, which are great products by the way. Give Ivans a call, he is pretty easy to get a hold of and he will take time to talk you through any issues, great cutomer service I experienced with him and he knows his stuff and stands by it. He pretty much gauranteed me 140+ hp with his jet kit, the Akra full system I have and the advancer and the bike dynoed like 144 or something and has spot on throttle response. I had a gixxer 1000 at teh same time and besides the choked cold starts you could not tell a difference between the FI bike and my zx9r. Do they emision test bikes in Cal as well? If they don't I would loose all that crap and loose the kleen air as well, it will take the intake ticking away, removing it.
Like I said before, the install was no problem, but I am still learning carbs so I had my buddy, a expert with carbs, syc and set the floats.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Originally posted by myninjazx9r
Like I said before, the install was no problem, but I am still learning carbs so I had my buddy, a expert with carbs, syc and set the floats.
just out of curiosity, what settings did you use on your bike? like what mainjets, needles clip setting, float heights and pilot screws?

i have basically the exact same setup, akra full, advancer, but with a factory pro jetkit... and the stock air filter with the steel mesh removed ;) thinking about pulling the resonators out of the ram air ducts and sealing up any condensation drain holes in them

·
Registered
320 Posts
Can't remember exactly, but I followed the Ivans instructions to a tee,his kit wass made to be used with the Akra full sytem and the advancer so it gave you only one choice of jets and like only two needle posionts and told you exactly where to set the floats and even gave you a base line or the mixture screws, now we all know that conditions and bikes vary but his intial setup was ver close, I rode it set up just as he recomended for a couple of months before my buddy helped me sync them up and all I reall had to do was lean it out a bit with the mixture screws and he set the floats for me.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I can look for the instructions from Ivan and see what all the specs were but i have no idea how those settings would react with the factory needles. I do remember all four mains were the same and I think they were bigger than stock, but I'll have to search through my stoarge unit.

·
Registered
367 Posts
the factory needles are more or less identical to the stock needles, just they have notches to adjust them... with them set to the 4th clip from the top is the same height as the stock needles...

for my setup it recommends 155/158 staggered main jets (stock are 155) the needles set to 3.5 from the top (3rd notch and an extra shim) and 16mm float height with 2.5 turns on the pilot screws...

found it had a little hump in the midrange, took the extra shim out so the needles are on 3 from the top even and took the pilots out an extra half turn to 3.0 turns (had a harshness under cruise thats gone now) ... i still think its a little rich down low, might take the floats to about 16.5 - 17.0mm

would love to see the ivans base settings for the full akra and +4 advancer if you can find them... thanks!

btw, your bike is a C model with E lights isnt it?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So does anyone know what the deal is with non CA kits? Why wouldn't you be able to use a non CA kit to tune a CA bike? Whats the difference between a CA vs. non CA kit?

·
Registered
367 Posts
http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prodk90.html

they dont list a seperate jetkit for CA bikes, nor does dynojet ... if you click on the link to factory pro, theres a very long letter from a tuner out in cali explaining how to tune a E model 9R ... they did get rid of all the emission gear tho... doesnt say if you have to or not tho...

question is, will you? ;) i hear its pretty strict in cali, will cops pick on you for it? cant see them pulling off your tank and air box on the side of the road [:p] but then ive seen some of their training videos [B)] the bike is definately a lot nicer with the KLEEN disabled, pops way too much on decelleration with it...

you could always put it all back on for annual inspections if you have them?

best bet is to send them an email asking exactly what you asked us...

[email protected]

or

see if you can actually talk to ivan, or ask the secretary for more info... 845-268-1212

they both give very good, accurate technical support and will be able to tell you everything you need to know

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yeah, its a c with the e front end, I was probably one of the first to do the swap, I bought all of the parts new except the gauges new in 2000, I found the gauges on ebay and it took me quite some time to figure out the pin arangement puzzle. Had everything working by early 01.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by NinetySix
http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prodk90.html

they dont list a seperate jetkit for CA bikes, nor does dynojet ... if you click on the link to factory pro, theres a very long letter from a tuner out in cali explaining how to tune a E model 9R ... they did get rid of all the emission gear tho... doesnt say if you have to or not tho...

question is, will you? ;) i hear its pretty strict in cali, will cops pick on you for it? cant see them pulling off your tank and air box on the side of the road [:p] but then ive seen some of their training videos [B)] the bike is definately a lot nicer with the KLEEN disabled, pops way too much on decelleration with it...

you could always put it all back on for annual inspections if you have them?

best bet is to send them an email asking exactly what you asked us...

[email protected]

or

see if you can actually talk to ivan, or ask the secretary for more info... 845-268-1212

they both give very good, accurate technical support and will be able to tell you everything you need to know
Thanks for the detailed response!:DWe don't have inspections for motorcycles here.....YET!:(Living in CA though, I'm really suprised we don't!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.