Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I can finally get the bike in the air now :) now my question is how do I keep it there? I let the bike come up until I get scared and then I let go of the throttle and my bike usually slams down. Once I get the bike to the point that I want it do I just reduce the throttle and hold it steady, or do I come off the throttle and give the bike gas once it starts to dip? Please help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There is a point at about 45 degrees called the balance point the bike seems to float and you will be able to modulate the throttle and keep the bike there. However before you get there, because if you are new it feels pretty high, practice picking the bike up and setting it down nice and soft. If you practice this technique, before you know it you'll be higher and going farther. Always cover your rear brake in case you get in a jam, and take your time and practice, practice, practice it'll come.

later

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right, that is the point that I'm at right now. I let the bike come up until I get scared and then I usually let go of the throttle which results in the bike slamming back to the ground. That falling backwards feeling is a bitch!! I guess all I can to is keep practicing until I get it :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey vito,

All I suggest is when your coming from your wheelie in first gear give the throttle a roll, the bike come up again but not all the way up, therefore the front wheele dosn't slam to ground, and your wheelie is much more smoother.

NO FALLZ NO BALLZ

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please excuse my newness to this but when you say roll do you mean just a little bit of gas or as much gas as it took to get the bike up?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I mean just a tad of gas. When your up in the air you probaily gun it to get it up and then release to come back down, and the front wheele slams to the ground. When in air and coming down just gas it a bit and you will see the diffrence, also in the air you can ride them out longer.

NO FALLZ NO BALLZ

·
Registered
46 Posts
put ur ass as far back in your seat too... and remember your not as high as you think you are so u can keep on the gas a little longer...

having your ass back gives you a little better balance, and holding the gas on will let you 'ride' the wheelie down... because if you didnt get to the balance point yet, the wheelie will 'ride' out because youll run out of power to stay up...

take your time tho, go ride out to an empty lot with your friends and have them snap digital pics of you so you can get a feel of how high you are... I'm just learning too, and this is what i think about when I'm doin wheelies...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm still trying, I've getting on them a little longer but still cant carry one to redline. I'm not going to give up though because I fell like I've put too much practice time in to give up.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know this may sound crazy but my bike would not power wheelie until I put that slip on on it. I let 5 people who can do pretty good wheelies try to power it up and none of them could get it up. After I put my slip on,on the bike it easily power wheelies. Is this weird? I also have an 02

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have tried several times to power up the front but no success, perhaps my 6.2” 240 lb frame is heave for the stunt. I have had a couple of front tire lifts by mistake as the clutch slipped from my hands accelerating into second gear…..baddd

Black/silver 02

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dude,

Listen....the bike WILL COME UP in 1st gear...i dont care if you weigh 300lbs. Get the bike up to like 6k, cut off the gas, and WHACK it open....IT WILL COME UP. The reason the bike is not coming up for you is because your method of attempt is not correct. I dont mean to sound like an ass, but just try it....get going in 1st gear....up to about 6-7k....cut of the gas, and about a second later, (after the front forks compress) WHACK the throttle back on, and the front end WILL COME UP. Trust me on this one big fella.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I'm 6'1 215 and I have no problems lifting the wheel in first OR second... the above method is right for clutchless wheelies, but I prefer to do it at around 9000rpm... drop off the gas, and crack it hard wide open and that wheel should lift. Your weight might actually help you if you get back in the seat and lean back a little when you crack it.

Just practice in a safe road and keep doing it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.