• All the pads, all the time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Remove some pads, keep others

• Remove all padding from jacket

• Jacket doesn't offer any padding

• My t-shirt is thick enough, who needs a jacket?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a new Joe Rocket Sonic 2 leather jacket. I like it a lot. It's got removable lining on the inside, removable side vents, and foam padding in the shoulders, elbows, and back (which can be swapped with a rigid spine protector). I like how it has all this protection but the first time I went riding, I felt the arm and shoulder padding was a little restrictive. So I removed them but kept the back pad since it doesn't bother me and it is probably the most important part anyway. What is you guys opinion on this? I figured being comfortable is more important than having the extra protection, besides the leather is still thicker in these areas so it will still offer decent protection. I figure I'll save the padding for track days. What kind of set up do you run, and why?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
You'll wish u had it if u ever end up goin down. I even got extra hard plastic armour to go inside the elbow & forearm part. I'm glad I did...

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
My arms also feel restricted at times; but only when I'm doing movements I shouldn't be doing on a bike such as writing on a piece of paper. But on the bike the jacket "helps" me to keep the proper position of arms and back while I ride.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
The reason we have "motorcycle" jacket is because of the protection, you are removing the protection and essentially making your purchase of the jacket, how can i say...Retarded. LOL...

anyways try finding a jacket that is comfortable with its armor in.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
2kr brings up a good point. It could be the jacket or the size of the jacket that would make it seem restricting while riding.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even with all the padding removed, it is still a thick leather jacket that offers good protection, I'm just talking about removing the foam inserts. There is still padding built into the jacket that cant be removed. I think the word retarded is a little excessive; riding in a wife beater, now that is retarded. I feel that im pretty "safe" with it how it is, but if I'm going to the track or somewhere like the dragon (which I'm trying to set up this spring), I'm going to put it back in. I can't argue with the comment about if I go down, i wish i would have had them. But if I do happen to go down now, I think my vital areas are going to be ok, my shoulders and elbows might be pretty hurt but I should be alive, I hope. But I would still like feedback. Anybody gone down and have a story about elbow or shoulder pads saving their ass? Maybe you guys can convince me to put them back in before I go ride later today. They aren't that bad I guess.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
The "writing on a piece of paper" was in ref to things that I might do when wearing my jacket that feels restricting. Normally signing receipts at a gas station. But as my statement was ON the bike the jacket "helps" me to keep the proper position of arms and back while I ride.

But as far as the padding on my jacket saving my butt? Can't say it was the padding that saved my butt or the helmet; but more of the combination of wearing full gear (errr dragging jeans not race leather pants though) and I walked away with not a scratch on my body (bruises and a sprained elbow) and my gear all held up pretty good.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
think about this, obviously you're wearing leather so you have abrasion resistance checked. Now, think about potential crashes and the speeds at which they occur. If you fall or get hit at 60mph/70mph and land on your shoulder, square on your shoulder there's a good chance you're gonna break it armor or not but the damage will be a lot less with armor. Impact protection is a bit more important than abrasion resistance at the "street riding" level. Think about it.

Now, is the rest of your body covered or are you invincible?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.