Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a conversation with one of the guys I work with. He used to ride a Ducati 996 I think. Anyways, he said that there's somewhat of a class distinction between the ppl who ride Japanese bikes and ppl who ride European bikes?

i.e. Pacific Coast Highway here in CA where a lot of people ride, I guess the ones who ride European bikes, ONLY wave to other European bike riders. They don't return the waves to the Japanese bike riders. Iono. I thought two wheels were good enough for all riders to be friendly.

I don't even know where to start about Harleys, b/c I don't know much about them.

your thoughts??? [?] Thanks! :D
-Duo

·
Registered
875 Posts
I wave to everyone who rides, some wave back, some don't..... I'm just out to have fun.

If they need a certain class of bike to make them feel better about themself, thats their problem not mine as far as I'm concerned.

Harley guys def waive less, most euro guys i see waive. It usually the guys with no gear and a shorty helmet on a huge bike that never waive, or look angry when you do.

Def somewhat of a class distinction at least in their eyes - kinda like the 25k toyota vs the 60k benz or lexus..... how much are you willing to shell out?

Personally, I don't care if you ride a $500 scooter, if you ride, you ride.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Mad Mike

Def somewhat of a class distinction at least in their eyes - kinda like the 25k toyota vs the 60k benz or lexus..... how much are you willing to shell out?
Me, once I'm settled in on a career, job (after college lol...i keep forgetting that) I figure I'll spend around ... iono. 10-11k? on a bike and then as much as needed on gear. Then I'll get like just a whatever pickup.

I think your question was rhetorical but I wanted to answer it anyways.:D

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Originally posted by DuoAnimaXVII

Me, once I'm settled in on a career, job (after college lol...i keep forgetting that) I figure I'll spend around ... iono. 10-11k? on a bike and then as much as needed on gear. Then I'll get like just a whatever pickup.

I think your question was rhetorical but I wanted to answer it anyways.:D
+1 that's exactly my plan. ive got one year of college left and when I graduate, I plan on buying some POS pickup truck and spending the rest of my money on mods/upkeep for my bike.

or possibly a second bike :D

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Im gonna be going back to school in september and when im done I plan on driving the same car with no payments and paying off this bike to invest in a new one. I dont care what my car looks like, as long as my bike looks good lol.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
I wave to everyone, V-twin, Jap bikes, scooters, chicks in cars esp.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by FightingFalcon

+1 that's exactly my plan. ive got one year of college left and when I graduate, I plan on buying some POS pickup truck and spending the rest of my money on mods/upkeep for my bike.

or possibly a second bike :D
Yup!!! I really want to get a motorcycle, but I don't have much money up front. Is financing thru kawi (or your own bank) a good way to go? Seeing as how I have no credit... (makin a credit card soon though, and planning on building my credit up)

Originally posted by 2k6r520

I wave to everyone, V-twin, Jap bikes, scooters, chicks in cars esp.
^^ do the chicks wave back? :D

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Yup!!! I really want to get a motorcycle, but I don't have much money up front. Is financing thru kawi (or your own bank) a good way to go? Seeing as how I have no credit... (makin a credit card soon though, and planning on building my credit up)
Ask Trig all about that....

Honestly I would save up a lot of money first. If you make the minimum payments of $69, you'll be paying off the bike for the next 40 years of your life because of the 7-9% APR.

Save up some cash and then pay off the entire bike ASAP. I've got about two more weeks of work before I can pay mine off. The APR is raping me...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok I'll try to find Trig :D...[:I] who's Trig? Is he/she a moderator/contributor? ><'
ok. I'm signed up for MSF on the 1st-3rd of Sept, but I think I can hold off on buying a bike for a while. Maybe. Kind of. NO!!! ^^ I want one now... ^^
Friend got a honda shadow. Not that I'd want one, but I'm jealous he has a motorcycle... [:M76] I want mine!!!
GAH...
*sigh*
*rant*
*...breathe!*
*grin*
*ish...*[?]

EDIT: back on track anyways, yea I will get the bike only if I can pay it off in about a year or two I think. A good down payment up front, and ... yea. >< I don't know anything about the real world... :D high school level economics is about all I know haha... (AP but still...) I want to grow up! [^]

EDIT2: http://www.kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=64616 oh... so that's Trig... [:M66] I feel awkward now. >< urgh. haha.[|)][8)]

·
Registered
875 Posts
Is financing thru kawi (or your own bank) a good way to go
Financing through kawi is on a credit card you apply for there. But if you do, pay more then the minimum otherwise you will pay thousands in interest charges once you finally pay it off (like 10-20years later)

If you find a good used one, get it and save some $$$$

I think your question was rhetorical but I wanted to answer it anyways.
Yes it was rhetorical, but I agree, my bike is by far the newest vehicle I have ever owned. lol
I'd rather buy the bike than make payments on some nice looking car I cant really afford.....
hmm, where was it where I saw the stickers that said "my $6,000 bike is faster than your $60,000 porsche"

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts

Lol, asshole...

Get your credit card, and build credit while saving up man. Don't get to many inquries, like applying for credit and stuff...

Starting with wanting a bike as the first credit purchase or even second will be a pain in the arse, just don't give up...

I've been actually trying for the past year, and have been wanting a bike for my whole life.

Credit sucks, but you'll get there.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,507 Posts
European bikes and bikers typically have a much closer-knit community. There's none of the Kawi-Honda-Suzuki-Yamaha squabbling that the big four have. Basically it boils down to:

1 People who ride japaneese bikes, but love Euro bikes too.

2 People who ride Japaneese bikes, and hate Euro bikes because they just don't understand. These are the people that are always bitching about how you "spend twice as much for something that's slower". They just don't give two shits about actually using their brain for anything but dragging knee on the street and seeing how fast they can go in a straight line, and don't care at all for the history and real passion behind riding and the art behind the motorcycles.

3 People who ride Euro bikes that get along with type 1 Japaneese rider, but not type 2. No one likes an asshole.

So yeah, there's a large number of Euro bike guys that won't initiate a wave at a Japaneese bike, but most of the guys I've met on Euro bikes are 10x more friendly and accepting and socially capable than the typical japaneese-bike squid-tard.

This was especially seen at the MotoGP at Laguna Seca. I walked into Ducati Island with my Kawi hat on, and everyone there was very friendly and accepting (a few made jokes, but they were just jokes), very generous...they even let me chill in their Ducati-owners-only grandstand on Turn 2 for a while to relax and eat some food (and watch part of an AMA race). The big four tents were honestly a lot more exclusive than the Ducati island was, even though the Ducati island represented a far more exclusive community.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Originally posted by trig

Lol, asshole...

Get your credit card, and build credit while saving up man. Don't get to many inquries, like applying for credit and stuff...

Starting with wanting a bike as the first credit purchase or even second will be a pain in the arse, just don't give up...

I've been actually trying for the past year, and have been wanting a bike for my whole life.

[:++1] Also as someone else mentioned if you do get a kawi card make sure you pay it off in the first 2 years. Once 2 years passes the promo APR goes away and is replaced with an interest rate of like 18%. Make sure you make all your payments on time as well, or you lose the promo rate early in favor of a default rate of like 23%. [:0]

·
Registered
399 Posts
this waveing thing is getting outta hand, all bikers have the "free as a bird" sensation when ever we ride so sayin whats up to your fellow rider shows we all have that in common. except for harly riders i dont know what there big fat deal is but then who really gives a crap? as for those ducc riders who cant wave to jap bike riders "dont be a ****" [:M42] owning a ducc doesnt mean your in a gang. besides your bikes cost 2 to 3 times more then our bikes and ours are still better.[:M117]

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
owning a ducc doesnt mean your in a gang. besides your bikes cost 2 to 3 times more then our bikes and ours are still better.
I think that's why they don't want to wave to us....

I wave to anyone on a motorcycle. If I don't get one in return.....whatever. I was waving to your bike anyway...

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,507 Posts
Originally posted by modcrazy
this waveing thing is getting outta hand, all bikers have the "free as a bird" sensation when ever we ride so sayin whats up to your fellow rider shows we all have that in common. except for harly riders i dont know what there big fat deal is but then who really gives a crap? as for those ducc riders who cant wave to jap bike riders "dont be a ****" [:M42] owning a ducc doesnt mean your in a gang. besides your bikes cost 2 to 3 times more then our bikes and ours are still better.[:M117]
Well...owning a Ducati puts you in a community that's much more organized and tight knit than any of the big 4...go to any race where Ducati Corsa is represented, and you'll see the Ducati tent packed full of Ducatisti, and unlike the other big 4 where the goal of their tents is to sell shit, 80% of the Ducati setup at races is purely for hospitality for their owners. So it's not a 'gang', per se', but it is a substantially different community than I've ever seen from a japaneese bike turnout.

As for Japaneese bikes being better...I don't know about that. Bayliss is kicking ass on his 999F06 in WSB, and the Ducati and Suzuki consistantly turn the highest top speed in the speed traps at WSB races over Petronas, Kawi, Honda, and Yamaha, so obviously the Duc isn't lacking power...and if you HAVE to insist on the idea that the monster everywhere torque doesn't count as "power" because it's not made over 12k rpm's, then you'll have to admit that the Duc's carry much more speed through the corners and put the power down so much sooner that it can overcome their "lack of power" to still turn the highest top speed at the trap at the end of the longest straights...so either way I don't see how you can say they're worse. More expensive, sure. Not worth the cost from a purely performance perspective, possibly. But worse? No way.

And as for Duc's not waving...I don't know what you guys are doing wrong, but I ride an 03 636, and EVERY duc rider I've ever run into has waved back at me, and every duc rider I've run into at dealerships has been very friendly and open, even though I roll up in a three-year-old Kawi.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by Mad Mike

hmm, where was it where I saw the stickers that said "my $6,000 bike is faster than your $60,000 porsche"
DUDE! [:p] i know exactly what you're talking about! I think its on the ninja650r.com site. I'm so getting one of those, even if my bike doesn't end up costing $6,000. ^^ I love that sticker, I want it. :D

Originally posted by trig

Thanks for the advice! And nice to meet ya, I've seen your posts here and there. I'm somewhat of a lurker hehe. And... saving up and building credit? sounds hard. >< I'm planning on using a credit card wherever I can (even like groceries and...stuff???) and then paying it off.

brb! :D

back~

Originally posted by dragknt

European bikes and bikers typically have a much closer-knit community. There's none of the Kawi-Honda-Suzuki-Yamaha squabbling that the big four have.
Even then, I still want a kawasaki, just because of this forum. I've tried looking for the other forums (for suzuki/honda/yamaha) but can't find any...

Okay. I haven't really tried looking. :D kawiforums is pretty sweet.

Originally posted by Atroxus

[:++1] Also as someone else mentioned if you do get a kawi card make sure you pay it off in the first 2 years. Once 2 years passes the promo APR goes away and is replaced with an interest rate of like 18%. Make sure you make all your payments on time as well, or you lose the promo rate early in favor of a default rate of like 23%. [:0]
[:M74] eh? [B)] I'm so lost. I should've paid attention to my econ class. Is there an advantage to getting a kawi card vs financing thru my own bank?

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt

3 People who ride Euro bikes that get along with type 1 Japaneese rider, but not type 2. No one likes an asshole.
I'm number 3, but i also like harleys and custom choppers. To be honest most sport bike riders, esp the Big 4 riders, talk alot more shit then any other group i've encountered. They always think they are the best but complain that they are not accepted by the other group, that is just a fact that i've come to know. Other Euro riders i've encounter are just glad to meet someone else that appreciate the machine for what it is rather then what it says on paper, and over all seems like enjoy anyone on two wheels' company, same thing with the Crusier guys.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.