Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone

I recently got a 2008 er6n with 15,000km. My problem is that when I'm riding it at a constant speed it becomes a bit jerky, it feels like I'm jerking the throttle rapidly on and off. It only seems to do it when the bike is between 3000-4000rpm. The only other time it does it is when I'm rolling off the throttle to slow down. At freeway speeds it's smooth and it accelerates with no problems.
Mechanic was sure it was a chain issue so I replaced the chain and sprockets but that made no difference. I have also had it serviced but the plugs haven't been changed. Everything is stock except for a slip on yoshi pipe.
Any ideas on how to fix this?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Hi Adam, the stock ECU setting of our bike sometimes alters the air/fuel ratio in order to comply with emissions regulations around the rpm range that you mentioned.

Sometimes the response becomes jerky or flat when you are accelerating in certain conditions.

If the symptoms that you described are not constant it could be that, in comparison with the Yoshi can which can amplify the effects.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not uncommon. Like GR said, stock ECU is a bit unrefined below 4K. I try to never ride with mine below there. Rest assured there is nothing drastically "wrong" with your bike.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I agree with the guys statements above!

I'm also disappointed with your mechanic saying it might be chain related - that's not a cheap fix if you didn't need them changing!?
I agree a chain with a number of tight links can mimic a lean surge, but this would be something you would feel all of the time in any gear and at all rev ranges; certainly not only in one particular rev range!!

Might be time to look for a new service tech/mechanic who knows what he's talking about!

·
Registered
71 Posts
hi everyone

I recently got a 2008 er6n with 15,000km. My problem is that when I'm riding it at a constant speed it becomes a bit jerky, it feels like I'm jerking the throttle rapidly on and off. It only seems to do it when the bike is between 3000-4000rpm. The only other time it does it is when I'm rolling off the throttle to slow down. At freeway speeds it's smooth and it accelerates with no problems.
Mechanic was sure it was a chain issue so I replaced the chain and sprockets but that made no difference. I have also had it serviced but the plugs haven't been changed. Everything is stock except for a slip on yoshi pipe.
Any ideas on how to fix this?
Change the spark plugs, synchronize the throttle bodies, and make sure your chain tension is correct.

I had the same problem, and doing the above helped tremendously.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Throttle body Sync

is a sync of the throttle bodies something that can be done at home by someone who is mechanically challenged? If so, are there any links on how to do it? Or is it best done by a mechanic?

Also, do Australian bikes have O2 sensors? If so, would getting an O2 eliminator be helpful?

·
Registered
420 Posts
do Australian bikes have O2 sensors? If so, would getting an O2 eliminator be helpful?
I know the 2009-2010 models do, not sure about the earlier ones.
I've been told O2 eliminators can cause even more issues, but I connected up my O2 sensor to my Yoshi pipe when I got it, plus I've installed a Power Commander 5, so that may have helped. The bike is certainly less jerky than what it was when I first got it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
is a sync of the throttle bodies something that can be done at home by someone who is mechanically challenged? If so, are there any links on how to do it? Or is it best done by a mechanic?

Also, do Australian bikes have O2 sensors? If so, would getting an O2 eliminator be helpful?
Synchronizing the throttle bodies isn't to tough. Read the maintenance manual, I know I found it in there and synchronized mine. I didn't have to pull the fuel tank.

I watched this a couple years ago and gives a basic understanding about what's involved.

I also made my own manometer / sync tool http://www.timeinthegarage.com/diy-home-made-carburetor-syncronizer/

·
Registered
420 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem with the intermittent surging randomly happening. After that one of the cylinders wasn't firing.

Cleaning the fuel injectors fixed the problem for about 100 miles but now the problem is back. Let me know if you found the solution. 2008 ninja 650 9k miles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts