Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody ever used jet hot coatings to coat their headers with? just curious if you saw a reduction in temps...got any pics?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any pics yet and can't comment on header temperature, but. I had the headers on a 72 CB350K4 vintage race bike I'm building coated. Jet Hot was fantastic to do business with, delivered on time and did a great job. I choose the silver color and if I remember correctly it cost around $120.
Wally Anderson

·
Registered
226 Posts
I used jet hot on my vette headers. They are a great company and it does reduce temps by a ton. I thought about having the bike header done, I do have a couple of concerns. If you coat just the header then the mid-pipe will run hotter. No biggie on a car but on a bike I don't wont the extra heat on my leg. Second, the "sterling silver" coating looks just like chrome when you get them but looses some of its luster after a few heat cycles.

·
Registered
418 Posts
i had my headers on my race truck coated by jet hot and the coating melted off during the engine break in because we were running a bit lean. the coating just peeled off!! i have all of my manifolds coated by them as well and they have held up great. i brought the headers down to jet hot and they stripped off all of the coating and cleaned up my headers for free. they made good on theor products failure in my mind. definatly a reputable company. i do know that bike headers get red hot sometimes and would question the durability of their coatings for this application.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Originally posted by nick041881
i had my headers on my race truck coated by jet hot and the coating melted off during the engine break in because we were running a bit lean. the coating just peeled off!! i have all of my manifolds coated by them as well and they have held up great. i brought the headers down to jet hot and they stripped off all of the coating and cleaned up my headers for free. they made good on theor products failure in my mind. definatly a reputable company. i do know that bike headers get red hot sometimes and would question the durability of their coatings for this application.
You are not supposed to beak any engine in with any ceramic coated headers. The coatings cant handle the high temps. Thats a fact.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have also considered getting the header coated. Simply so they dont look like rust. But I think I would just upgrade and get a full system instead.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have used NHTC and Swain Tech before. The Swain Tech is the thickest of all the coatings and is supposed to last the longest. Have had them on my sled for a few years now with no issues.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I had a set of HTC coated Hedman Hustler headers and they were extremely nice. I hear excellent things about Swain Tech also.

·
Registered
418 Posts
i found that out after the fact!! but bike headers do get hot like when you are breaking in a motor, just questioning ceramic coating for this application.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.