Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '03 ZX-9R that I just purchased. The guy put on a Yosh slip on but did not jet bike, only has 1600 miles on it. The dealer I bought it from said he will pay for parts if I get it jetted. Bike came from NY and now is in CA so runs a little rough due to altitude and humidity change. Bike meets CA emmission standards though. I can buy DYNOJET stage 1 kit for about $95.00 but how hard are they to install? Dealership wants around $300.00 to do it. I have a friend who does his and said he would help. Any suggestions....should I just pay the $$$$ or do it myself? Any tips from anyone who has done it before? Thanks.....:D

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have a dynojet kit and have a flat spot only at 2500, but it runs great everywhere else(every dyno guy I've talked to says "i could rid of it at 2500 but you'd see it somewhere else...")... alot of guys here will tell you to spend the extra money on a FACTORY jet kit- and they can be completely tuned out-supposedly(sorry no experience here)....

I dont really spend 'that' much time at 2500 so its really not that big of deal to me

If your stuck on the $95 dynojet,, then absolutely do the work yourself-- its REALLY simple to do (its really self explanatory)-- you could spend the $300 and it still might not be tuned the way you want (and the mechanic can just say---"sorry thats the best I could do")--->and your stuck with it...and the bill, if you have to tweek it-- your your time-not your bill...good luck

pm me if you need some help

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would buy the factory pro kit.
The dealership is paying for the kit right?
Get the most expensive one you can find!:)
Unless you are unsure of the dealership you bought the bike from.

My 02 was tuned by Hare Racing. The previous owner told them he wanted a FP kit and they said,"you don't need a jet kit". They went 1 size up on the mains and left it at that. He said he was quite suprised that they only charged him around $4 for parts and didn't capitalize on the sale of the jet kit.
Bike only has a slip-on, advancer, bmc and no flat spots anywhere.

I'm itchin for a full titanium exhaust! Prices are dropping.

·
Registered
367 Posts
the factory kit is like ~$130 (retail) .... hardly a months wages and much better value for money

not sure what the base settings a FP or ivans kit for a E or F model recommends, but the C model requires you to adjust the float height. thats the hardest part of the entire job, and its not hard.

heres a guide showing how to adjust floats:

http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_float_height_adj_procedure.html

if you think you can do that, then you can save yourself some cash. why not spend some of that money you saved on a +4 degree advancer :D forget about a K&N or BMC, just take the steel mesh out of the stock filter.

with all of the above it will feel like the bike has gained 100cc ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ordered a factory pro kit and had the dealer do it which they charged me $340 which included carb sync. It use to bog out on the low end but Italked to the tech Friday and he said that "MF runs like a beast now". He was absolutely amazed with the difference it made in my 94 zx9r but now have to wait for them to fix my front fork leak before I know how it feels.

BTW factory is in calif so you can get a kit in one day. I paid for mine to be overnighted which cost me $156 total.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It looks like Factory wants to sell you the float level setting gauge. Hardly worth $50. You can buy pilot jets for $20 and receive enough fuel to get rid of the low end bog.

·
Registered
367 Posts
or you can just adjust float height using a little 6" steel ruler and a good eye ;) works fine for me

besides float height and pilot jets/screws control different things, you shouldnt adjust one to fix the other (ie bandaid fix)

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info! I have always left my bikes stock (I know BORING) and do not know much about after market exhaust. A few of you have said I do not really need to jet it if only mod is slip on system, which is the only mod. That is also what the dealership I bought it from said. However, when I called dealership here in CA, they said pretty much any bike with after market exhaust needs jet kit installed??? Dealership I bought it from said to just take it in and have carbs adjusted for this climate and cleaned (it sat for a while only 1500 miles in 24 months from prev owner), basically a tune up. In fact dealership I purchased it from recommended I NOT jet it. Said just put about 1,000 miles on bike to finish breaking it in and then take it in. Seems to run better each day I ride it so maybe just needed cobwebs blown out from sitting? Thanks for all the helpful info and keep suggestions flowing!
[8D][8D]:D

·
Registered
367 Posts
bikes with full systems can get away with no jetting... i know of a 98 with a full akra and no jetkit and 107,000km (~70,000 miles) on the odometer that made 130hp on a dyno

its just that there are things to gain from it, more power, smoother, better delivery etc... even on a bone stock bike. the E models were criticised in reviews for poor carburation out of the factory being over sensitive to small throttle openings which could really upset the bikes line in the middle of a corner.... completely fixed with a jetkit tho. id assume F models would be about the same.

but if your happy with it, why spend money on it... you'll only wanna keep spending money on it... its a vicious cycle ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.