Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a full Micron exhaust for my 95 ZX-6R sitting for a while waiting for a jet kit. I finally decided to go with the Micron (made by dynojet) jet kit since I thought it was for that full exhaust. Installed the jet kit, which was easier than I expected, and went for a ride with stock exhaust and D&D canister on it and it felt alot smoother and definately picked up some power.
The next morning I put on the full exhaust and took it for a ride. It ran like ass; you could tell it was stupidly rich, I mean any more than 1/4 throttle under 5k and it would start to bog and hesitate. Not being very Carb savvy, I promptly went home and put back on the stock exhaust w/ the D&D and it runs like a champ.
I need to call Micron monday and see if they have diffent setting than what came with the kit for the full exhaust (even though its under the parameters?)...
any carb tuning advice?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Fuji,

Definitely call Micron and ask them if the Micron jet kit part# you have is appropriate for their full system. It sounds like your jet kit is setup for slip-on with stock headers. Our bikes with slip-on typically only need the idle mixture screws richened a little and the slide needles shimmed 0.5mm. A full system should get larger main jets, richer needles, and adjust idle mixture to suit. Just out of curiousity what parts came with your jet kit? New slide needles, main jets, slide springs, main air bypass plugs, etc? After you call Micron post their reply on this board. Inquiring minds want to know! :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The kit came with different main jets (smaller than the OE jets), plugs for the main air jets, slide springs, new needles, and the tools needed to remove the blanking plug to adjust the fuel screw. It is different than the stage 1 offered by Dynojet...

·
Registered
823 Posts
Fuji,

Those are the same kind of parts that came with the DJ Stage 1 kit for the 05/06 ZZR600. With a Yosh RS-3 slip-on and stock air filter my bike ran too rich with the DJ kit. Symptoms were raw gas smell that would knock out people riding behind me and really black color on the sparkplug ceramic. Oh and gas mileage went to hell too. I ended up removing all the DJ stuff and going to the settings in my previous post.

Since your bike runs good with the slip-on + DJ kit and bad with the Micron Full system + DJ kit I would say that your fuel mixture is too lean for the full system. Bog/hesitation is frequently a lean mixture symptom. Try riding off from a stop on a cold morning before the engine is warmed and with the choke off. The engine falls flat on its face but does not stall.

One thing to remember is that DJ jets have a numbering system that is different from the stock Mikuni jets. (How confusing is that?)

My guess is that Micron will tell you to lower the clip one notch on the needles and maybe go one bigger on the main jets. (lower the clip=raising the needles=richer midrange)

Be very persistent when you call Micron Customer support. You spent a lot of money on their system and jet kit. I've read on other forums that their customer support (and Dynojets) sucks.

Hindsight being 20/20 I would have gone with the Ivan's Jet kit if I was going to a full system. He claims that he spends months dialing in his jet kits and personally answers calls when you contact product support. (How cool is that!)

Good luck and let us know what Micron says. [8D]

·
Registered
164 Posts
A full exhaust system will definately change the fuel requirements for the bike and require some tuning. If your kit only came with 1 set of jets then it is only for a specific setup and it sounds like it isnt for a full exhaust. All jet kits with the exception of ivans require some tuning and dont always run perfect out of the box. I would call micron but they probably will tell you to lower the clip on the needles and go a size bigger on the main jets just like glovis said. Your kit should have come with some instructions that tell you what size of jet to use for different setups and a basic setting for the clips on the new needles which is usually right in the middle. If they recommend that you go with a larger main jet and you dont have any then you can order them alone for about $2 a piece from dynojet rather than go with a whole new kit. Keep us posted on how things go but dont give up yet cuz a little tuning will make a world of difference.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called Dynojet and Micron and both said that my K&N filter were to blame and that it should run fine with a stock filter (which I'm now trying to source) and thier full exhaust. They also said that raising the needle one notch would be a good idea if I kept the K&N... I'll let everyone know how it turns out

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
it takes a lot of work to get a bike tuned properly with a full exhaust and aftermarket filter. i had my tank off at least 10 times to adjust different things. try using this link, the power improvement is worth the time investment. if your not good with carbs, pay to have it installed. shouldnt cost more than $150. http://66.47.68.116/tech/carbtune,CV,high_rpm_engines.html

·
Registered
823 Posts
Fuji,

Thats interesting what DJ and Micron said about the K&N filter. Their advice to enrich the mixture to compensate for the K&N implies that it flows more air than the stock filter. Ivan recommends using a stock filter with his jet kit because he says K&N filters flow less air than the stock one! [:M99][?][?][xx(] Well you will prove who is right when you either put the stock filter back in and it runs fine OR keep the K&N and enrich the mixture and it runs fine.
I have a hunch that the difference a K&N filter makes on fuel mixture is more significant with a full exhaust system relative to a slip-on because the slip-on just does not flow that much better than the stock muffler and is the weakest link in the performance chain. Hmmmmmm maybe I'll throw a K&N on my ZZR and see how (or if) it affects my fuel mixture. [:M56] Oh goody more s**t to throw money away on!![:M6]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Gino... I know that feelin...I've had my carbs apart 10 times and at least the tank off six more[xx(] I just came in from the garage and had found what the problem may have been the whole time...the pick-up coil- it's resistance value is out of specs!!! I'm callin the dealer early tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
The whole point of a new air filter (such as K&N) is to increase air flow, giving more "umph" to the bike. Thats the principle behind a turbo, it gives the bike more air to work with, therefore - when its getting appropraite gas as well - you will have more power.

So. If you have a K&N filter, you should expect your bike to be running lean i.e. getting too much air for the amount of gas being alowed in by the carbs. So, you should expect to need to tune your carbs richer, i.e. alowing more gas in, to match the greater air volume. The end result should be more power.

If someone is saying a K&N is more resrictive than a stock filter, they are mistaken. There is absolutly no point in anyone makeing a MORE restrictive filter. That would just give you decreased power, and would only be good if you bike was running very lean (i.e. getting way too much air or not enough gas) for some reason and you really needed to richen it up. Even then, you wouldnt get a performace gain, just a bike that runs "normal".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.