Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that many sites don't offer jet kits for the 2001 model. Is there a reason for this? For those that have jetted their bikes, was there trully a performance enhancement? If so, was it worth it? I have also seen a link on here where the guy was talking about shimming. Have anyone tried that?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
dtmsurf has a good write up on how to shim the needles, it increases midrange power..do a searh and you'll find it

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen the web page on shimming you are referring to. I want to know anyone's experience after jetting their bikes more so than shimming the existing needles.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Well, just jetting a bike wont make it run better unless you jet it correctly. This is why the kits usually come with more than one size needle. You have to try and find what will work best for your bike. If you have a full exhaust system going to larger jets will probably help cause the increased air flow will allow you to put more gas in. If you just have a slip on jetting may be a waste of money. Shimming the needles really just made it smoother. It is allowing just a little more fuel in, especially right off of a shift. It just lets the bike have a little bit more gas to get rid of the flat spots. We are talking a very small difference. It was cheap and easy so I am happy with the results. You may want to try shimming before spending the money on a jet kit. You can always take the shims out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.