Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 2002 kawi zx6r and looking to get a stage 1 jet kit. which ids the best for my bike. i put a D&D slip-on, on my bike. all comments would help.

thanks,[^]

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Ivan's and Factory Pro make good jet kits. I prefer Factory Pro but I would talk to both. You probaly don't need a jet ket. I think the '02 even has adjustable needles from the factory.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i might not need it, but that 5% increase in power works for me too but anyway where can i look to get it too?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
According to the November 2003 issue of Superbike magazine after testing three top-end slip on systems (Laser, Akrapovic, and Micron, and dyno-testing on a CBR600RR, they found that the average gain was roughly 3-4 peak power gain when mated with a properly-tuned PCIII. (Of course, the Akrapovic was slightly better in the dyno charts... ;))

Or - roughly a 3 percent gain in power. Point being, today's bikes are so well-designed right from the factory that adding aftermarket parts and gaining some 15-20hp is just not possible anymore. Yes, you can realize some significant weight savings and get higher-quality materials and build quality, but the bottom line is that bikes today are being built to squeeze close to 100% of the juice they can muster without sacrificing too much long term durability. Stock parts are better than ever today. It's just that the industry is so competitive that people are willing to pay big bucks to extract every last possible pony out of their rides. 3-4 hp out of a slip on is actually not an insignificant gain from a muffler and a short section of pipe. But it sure ain't earth shattering either.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My bike deveolped a lean flat spot at 6k rpm's with a two bros. slip on so Im having it jetted by a local carb guru....That and a K&n filter should straighten it out but your bike will be more finicky to temp changes.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Do you guys know where I can find info/directions for adjusting the factory jets on an 02? I have some weird flat spots in the first 3 gears. I have rebuilt old sliding carbs but have never had this carb apart.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Originally posted by Transman
put 1 shim under the needle
O.K. do I have to buy a whole jet kit for 1 shim? arent there more than 1 needle? I have a service manual so I am not asking how to do the teardown and rebuild, just specifics on how and why to adjust.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The '02 might have clip style needles, not sure. If it does you just move the clip down to raise the needle. If it doesn't have clip style needles you put a #4 washer under the needle to raise it. You can get these at a hardware store. The ones I get are usually brass.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Maybe, bike are typically jetted lean in the mid-range, 4,000-8,000 rpm because this is where the EPA testing is done. Raising the needles richens the mixture in that range.

·
Registered
700 Posts
this might seem odd but I run a mixture of dynojet and factory pro. I'm happy with my results

·
Registered
940 Posts
good choice....Ivan made that jet kit specifically for the '02....you're going to love the throttle response

·
Registered
363 Posts
I did my own little jet kit/adjustment and it really cleaned up the flat spots. Check out the post, HOW TO: adjust/modify main jets for 2002
I am really happy with the results and it only cost me about 5 cents to do. It feels a little faster and much smoother.
Maybe something to try before spending the money on a jet kit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.