Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that bikes are jetted lean from the factory to meet emissions, so I'm considering a Stage II jet kit, see if i can get a few more ponies.

Anyone got experience with jet kits or other mods to squeeze some juice outta the 2000?

Red 2000 ZX6R
License: SPD METL

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
That is not exactly true. Bikes come jetted lean in the midrange where emissions are tested. Many times bikes will be too rich on the top end which is controlled by the main jets, especially those at higher altitudes.

I do not care for Dynojet kits. There is a word for them and it begins with s and ends with t. If you are going to rejet you might want to consider Factory Pro or Ivan's. You can also just buy factory jets and shim the needles.

What ever you do, don't mess with the airbox or air cleaner.

You can probably get a little bit more horsepower at high speed by sealing up the ram air system better and by removing the screen inside the airbox. You can also add an ignition advancer. There are some plugs, CR9EK, suppose to be good for a hp or two.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I'd like to see the combustion chamber after a year of running those plugs before I threw them in. Gotta be something funny about that if the hp gains claim is accurate...

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Suzuki uses it for a stock plug in many of their models. It is exactly the same length and heat range as the stock plug.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm always a little amazed at all the interest in jet kits when the Flo-Commander is less expensive and makes a huge difference in performance instead of just a little one. I have a bike shop and I install a lot of jet kits, in fact I'm installing one today on a ZX-7 race bike. They always seem to help, but my customers say things like "it seams to run a little better and I think the flat spot is pretty much gone too". Not a bad thing, really, but when I've installed the Flo-Commander, my customers are always amazed by the huge gain in performance. “Its like a totally different bike” or “I can’t believe the power” are typical comments. I’ve even called many of my Flo Comm customers after a few weeks and I can hardly get off the phone as they are so thrilled with the performance gains. I'll be happy to explain how they work, if anyone has any questions. My own ZX-11 picked up just over 10 hp at only 6,000 rpm. I rarely see more than 2 or 3 hp gain from any jet kit at 11,000 or 12,000 rpm. No comparison, really. You can check their website at [www.flo-commander.com].

Sorry I don't have a picture of a ZX-6 installation, but this picture of my ZX-11 with two Flo-Comms on a set of FZR-41s (one on the main air jets and other on the idle jets) is pretty typical of the ZX-6.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
So SW if it's the same size and heat range as a stock plug, how does it gain performance? I don't get the premise, but then, I'm kinda slow that way I guess... [:p]

·
Registered
130 Posts
dj dunzie,
The NGK CR9EK are dual electrode plugs. I've been using them for years, but I must admit that on the Dyno with a number of different bikes, I have never seen any difference at all, none. Maybe at the North Pole or under Niagara Falls, but not on the Dyno. Unfortunately, manufacturers can make just about any claim they want. Most are pretty honest, but some play fast and loose with their numbers.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by Dave Leonard

Sorry I don't have a picture of a ZX-6 installation, but this picture of my ZX-11 with two Flo-Comms on a set of FZR-41s (one on the main air jets and other on the idle jets) is pretty typical of the ZX-6.
Dave,

Can you post dynos run before and after a Flo-Commander installation on a ZX-6R?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Dave, thanks, and that's kinda what I figured. You learn quick what company's claims are reputable and who's aren't. Might be great plugs that last longer or seem to make the engine smoother in effect, but a 2hp gain from plugs just kinda seemed funny somehow.

And I'd also be interested to see dyno results from the Flow-Commander.... sounds like a good product, just haven't heard a lot about it...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Rob Lee,
I don't think I have any ZX-6 Dyno sheets, but I'll check to be sure. I never quite understand why so many guys want to install performance items but choose not to spend the extra money to run any Dyno tests. I'll also check with several other shops that have been installing the Flo-Comms and see it they can come up with a ZX-6 example.

·
Registered
130 Posts
dj dunzie,
Not many motorcycle products get me excited the way the Flo-Commander has. My own ZX-11, for example has just over 170 hp with a big bore kit, SS oversize valves, porting, Dyna 2000 ignition, supercrank, etc, but none of this stuff singularly made anywhere near the impact that the Flo-Comm did. Also, everything I've done is old hat after a week or so. You know, after a week I can't remember what is was like before. The Flo-Commander continues to impress for months. It's more than just the power increase, its the overall smoothness and electric rheostat feel. I somewhat hesitate to show any of the Dyno printouts as they look almost fake or 'hand done'. There's no hiccup or obvious transitions between the various carburetion systems (idle-to-needle-to-main jet, that is so typical with non-FC equipped carbs.

Here is a ZX-11 example, notice the approx 10 HP gain at only 6000 rpm.

I did find a basic install on a ZX-6E

·
Registered
130 Posts
Rob Lee,
Actually, the test you're looking at reflects only the installation of the Flo-Commander. You're hinting at precisely why I have so few 'meaningful' Dyno printouts for the Flo-Commander. In so many instances, one thing will lead to another and you'll wind up changing many other factors so that in the final analysis, you can't honestly claim that the Flo-Comm or jet kit or whatever is actually responsible for what you’re looking at. In this case, however, we took care to do nothing else to the bike or correct any pre-existing conditions until after running the test you see here. Some of the runs we've made actually look much better than this one, but they reflect correcting other problems as well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
swjohnsey,
Not even close. Not a salesman of any kind. I'm a mechanical engineer and I own a bike service shop. It really gets me when someone attacks a product without having slightest idea how it works. I do carry these in my shop as well as jet kits, and many other items. It just happens that I really like this product and see no point in keeping it a secret. I also get carried away with the new open mesh jackets for those really hot days, and I've never even sold one of those. Attacking me or anyone else personally on this website is not permitted and only detracts from the common good. I'd be more than happy to explain anything about the Flo-Commander as it is truly one of the best things to come along in many years. My only interest here is helping folks with Kawasaki's. They happen to be another product I like bragging about.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
You sound like a salesman to me. I am a brain surgeon but teach Algebra I in a local school because it give me a warm fuzzy feeling and I get to ride my bike to work.

On the merits of you product, on examining the dyno trace I see about a 2 hp increase in the part of the power band that makes any differenct, namely above 8,000. I have seen greater hp differences on back to back runs on the same bike with no changes.

·
Registered
349 Posts
[B)]

Hey, can't we all get along?

JK. [8D] Swjohnsey is a pretty stand up guy from what I read. He's on several Kawi boards and he's right up there for technical experimenting.

'00 ZX6R silver

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well, since Internet allows everyone to become whatever they want I guess I wont be trying one of those FC's since now I trust no one. I think you were defending the FC way too strongly there Dave. Now everyone kinda does not trust you. Thanks for your effort anyway in case you are being legit. Dont take it personal.

Let Saddam come and play!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was only attempting to guide you in the direction of a terrific product. Sorry about that. With guys like swjohnsey, this is obviously hostile territory for any kind of technical discussion. It's kinda funny, some websites are open to this, but all too many have just enough closed minds to prevent any introduction of intelligent thaught. Unfortunately everone looses out on anything meaningful and the place is overrun with endless exchanges on how to put air in your tires or how to remove a decal. But get into something beyond the sixth grade level and someone always jumps in replacing curiosity with hatred. So Eltorito, don't let someone else's fear or ignorance influence your ability to consider something new. We'll never talk swjohnsey into anything, and that's fine. He may be perfectly happy with the slowest bike on the block. That's his choice, but I'm always looking for something better.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I am not hostile. I think skeptical is a better word. I think would be tickled to match my slow, old ZX-6R against against any ZX-6R with your magical new invention. I am only surprised that all the factory race team haven't picked up on it yet.

Maybe you could provide us with some dyno data that was ZX-6R specific or at least 600 cc specific so that we could better judge your product.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.