Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Slip on Muzzy pipe and I just want to get a little more spunk to it. People keep on telling me to jet it but then I hear that the bike never runs right when the weather changes. Has anyone heard of IKE's jet kits?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Never heard of IKE's jet kits before...

I had my 6R jetted to set it up for a full Hindle system. You'll notice a little bit of a flat spot emerge when the temperature goes down, but nothing to worry about. It's still running great, and delivers when you want it to.

You may not need much work to jet it at all with just a muffler.
Talk to your dealer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
with just a slip on, you shouldn't have to jet your bike at all. Your bike comes from the factory with jetting for general weater conditions. If you want to add more spunk, you need to get the complete exhaust system.then you will have to jet your bike.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Minor jetting and a better flowing air filter will make the engine breath alot better. But, you don't have to do anything drastic w/ just a slip-on.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
With my 'ole '00 ZX9R...Idynoed it at 130.7 hp, stock with a shim under the needles and the mains out 2 1/2 turns.

About a month later,installed a D&D [B)] slip on...it dynoed at 140.8

I then installed the Factory 1.7 RK jetkit...It made it SCREAM up top, and smoothed the bottom end down a bit. I never dynoed it after the jetkit, but I'm guessing maybe 5 hp gain up top with the jet kit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
In stock form the 00 9R has some carb issues ... jerky on-off throttle response ... go with the Ivan's kit .... you won't believe the difference.... It's not a kit that's easy to install though ... any doubts .. have an expert install it ....

·
Registered
771 Posts
very few people have ridden a bike that is tuned good. they feel like a good song that hits you deep. If you get a dynojet kit and study, spend time setting your bike up for the temp you normaly ride in.
You will get rid of vibration, poping, spuddering, flatspots and gain smooth response and power. It all depends on how serious u r

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm about to install a Stage 1 Dynojet Jet Kit on my bike tonight (to go along with the Hindle High Mount I installed).
The worst part, it seems, is having to removing the carbs from the bike to instal the Main Jets.[B)]

Doing the needles seems easy enough.

Wish me luck, and if you have any pointers, let me know.;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well I jetted her last night with the Stage 1 Dynojet Kit and re-synched the carbs myself. They were pretty close, only needed a slight synch tweeking. I used a Motion Pro Mercury Manometer kit that lets you do all four cylinders as once. Pretty easy to do once you locate all the vacuum ports. Two have nipples on them and two are plugged with bolts. Kind of hairy putting the mercury into the manometer, I was freaking out that I wouldn't spill any or get any on myself. I have damaged my brain enough with drinking already! he he he :D

If you have questions on it PM me or email me at: [email protected]

The trickiest part to the whole process was putting the rubber diaphragms back in as they are very soft and don't like to seat in the o-ring grooves easily. But with patience, it's not too bad.;)

No if only the weather would break and stop being so cold and snowy out here in MI!:(

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just installed a Ivans Kit in my 03 with a Yosh RS3 SS slip on. He did about a years worth of R&D on the kit. He recommends a 4 into 1 thats what comes stock on the ZX9, not 4-2-1. The stock header on the ZX9 is supposed to be a real good piece its the mid pipe that sucks the ID is to small any 2inch slip on will work well. The only company out there that makes a 4-1 is akro and you have to order the 00-01 model. The 02-03 is a 4-2-1 for those looking to put a Akro on your ZX9. He has the best prices too a full Akro he sells for $815.00 thats unheard of with a Akro pipe atleast I havent found one any cheaper. I am very happy with the jet/pipe combo I went with he also advises a 4 degree advancer too. Good Luck and have fun

·
Registered
64 Posts
In most cases its not necessarily installed for more power.... but to increase throttle response .... I installed it on my 00 9R and it did seem to rev quicker .... here is what Ivan said

"A +4 degree ignition advancer is recommended and will sharpen throttle response throughout the rpm range with no penalty to top end power."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.