Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is there a good or bad jet kit out there if so which one would you use if you had a carberated bike??? anyone!

Cheers

·
Registered
700 Posts
this might sound weird but I have both factory pro and dynojet in my bike

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Probably used the jets from one and the needles from the other in his carbs.
BC.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Originally posted by t15_roberts
not shooting you down, aznridr -- but why would you purchase 2 jet kits for 1 install????
shooting me down? dont worry about it. well i bought a factory pro kit but when my buddy was tuning the bike he needed smaller jets for some of the carbs, so he had some extra ones and just used they dynojet and factory stuff. thats his story that he told me but the dyno proved his theory so I don't doubt him.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Factory Pro makes the best kits. They also have superior technical assistance. You can call and talk to the owner about what they would recommend on changing settings. They also stand behind their products like sending me 4 sets of larger main jets on the last bike I jetted for free.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I just finished tuning the jet kit on my 2001 ZX6r and it is great. Smoothes everything out and gives you some more ponies on top. I would suggest the shift kit with detent arm and star from Factory also.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am so total n00b, but what does jetting the carbs do? Does it makes the bike run a lot smoother, but how is it done? and how smooth does it run? looking at some of the websites eg. ivansperformanceproducts.com... it doesnt seem that complicated, and there isnt that many parts...Do I need a manual to do it? Just need somemore info on this please Thanks!

·
Registered
252 Posts
OK, if you've never done any engine work (minor), than it COULD be complicated. You could do a search about jetting and fin some very in depth info -- but the quick version is jetting replaces the fuel needles in your carbs with larger ones, allowing more fuel in. Only worthwhile if your bike is getting more air flow than stock through the engine (ie: aftermarket exhaust). Because our bikes are shipped lean (less fuel) through the midrange (where they do the emmisions testing), jetting your cabrs can increase the fuel throughout the midrange and "smooth" out any flat spots in your RPM range.

You have to take your gas tank off, airbox off, drain the carbs, open the carbs (there is a few steps I won't mention here), replace the needles, ut it all back together, test is, and probably open it all back up and do it again if it needs tweaking... I could be done in a couple of hours if you're quick, or it could take a couple days if you're not. \

TIP -- if you do search, DTMsmurf has apost aroound here that shows how to shim your needles -- that adds more fuel without going up in needle size. It may be worthwhile if you haven't modded your exhaust, or don't want a jet kit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't want to come off as a smart ass, but they the call those things jet kits because you replace the carbs "jets" not just the needles. Anyway, I put a factory pro in mine and the hardest part was getting off those 3 phillip head screws on the carb. bottom, required and impact screw driver, once past this its not at all bad. My bike def. feels crisper then before.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't want to come off as a smart ass, but they the call those things jet kits because you replace the carbs "jets" not just the needles. Anyway, I put a factory pro in mine and the hardest part was getting off those 3 phillip head screws on the carb. bottom, required and impact screw driver, once past this its not at all bad. My bike def. feels crisper then before.

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
even with a stock pipe rejetting will make the bike run smoother. A Factory Jet kit will include new springs that will be snappier. Also removing the emissions junk is easy and saves weight and space. I would also get an ignition advancer which will make the throttle response quicker also.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'd recommend the Factory kit. People say good things about Ivan's, but no matter how good he is, he can't design a set that will work perfectly at all altitudes, in all climates. Actually, even my Factory kit could use a couple more sets of smaller main jets.

Sport Rider installed an Ivan's kit in an '02 6R, and mostly liked it, but there was a flat spot they couldn't get rid of. A more complete kit will give you ways to work around that.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Originally posted by twowheel
even with a stock pipe rejetting will make the bike run smoother. A Factory Jet kit will include new springs that will be snappier. Also removing the emissions junk is easy and saves weight and space. I would also get an ignition advancer which will make the throttle response quicker also.
Throttle response? [:p] That's what I'm interested. Last time when my delaer had the bike for service the guy checked the carbs and the bike runs now really smooth without jetting and with stock exhaust, but I could use a better throttle response.

Can I put an ign. advancer without jetting & pipe, or do I need a pipe etc.? Any other ways to improve throttle resp? More info please.

I am not looking for a pipe now because the ones allowed to ride on the street here (Germany) does not bring any (ok maybe few) HP gains.:(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.