Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have a K&N air filter. I'm buying a Yoshi RS-3 bolt-on. Which kit should I get...the #1.0 Supersport kit or the #1.1 Ti Prokit. I'm leaning towards the Prokit, it's only $20 more. And if after a while, I decide to get a full exhaust, will I need to get a new jet kit? or can I use the same kit?

·
Registered
32 Posts
go for the ti kit if only 20 bux more. needles last longer or wear better or sumtin cuz of titanium. should be able to use same kit when u get exhaust, jus have to rejet

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spoke to a mechanic a Britt Motorsports here in Jacksonville and he said I won't need a jet kit as long as it's not a complete exhaust system. Looking for more oppinions.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Originally posted by ZX6R_rider
I spoke to a mechanic a Britt Motorsports here in Jacksonville and he said I won't need a jet kit as long as it's not a complete exhaust system. Looking for more oppinions.

His statement would appear to be true. I have posted the same information on this forum on more then one occassion. If you don't have a full system there is no need to re-jet your carbs. Save your money. That's why I only spent a $1.99 at RadioShack for the washers/shims. Shimming the needles did what I wanted it to do.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Originally posted by ZZRrocket

His statement would appear to be true. I have posted the same information on this forum on more then one occassion. If you don't have a full system there is no need to re-jet your carbs. Save your money. That's why I only spent a $1.99 at RadioShack for the washers/shims. Shimming the needles did what I wanted it to do.
Yep that's what I said.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really don't understand the whole shimming concept. Anf how the washers even do anything at all. But I'll give it a search or something.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Originally posted by ZX6R_rider
I really don't understand the whole shimming concept. Anf how the washers even do anything at all. But I'll give it a search or something.
Go to RadioShack and buy the washers they come in a multi pack bag for $1.99 and you want to use the #4 washers. One for each jet needle. Here's a really good how to link that has step by step instructions. The link has a good video clip that shows you how to shim the needles.

Be sure to pay special attention to this part of the process.

** Remove vacuum valve cover by removing 2 screws. *WARNING* there is one tiny o-ring under the vacuum valve cover that will fall down into the motor. It is imperative you find it or order a couple from your dealer ahead of time (Kaw p/n 16038-022). I located all of them and had to fish them out with tape on the end of a long screwdriver. I used a tiny smear of contact cement in the cover to hold o-ring in place to reinstall. Also, after I did the job I thought about using silicone sealant instead due to ease of use (just a tiny smear on the o-ring then stick it to the cover). You must put them back and whatever you do, don't block the air port! THIS IS THE TRICKIEST PART OF THE JOB.**

http://www.gstwins.com/zx6r/zx6r_shim.htm

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2103391&cp

Flat Washers Catalog #: 64-3022

The best that you can do for yourself is buy the Kawasaki Service Manual for $59.95 Part No. 99924-1254-04

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<URGENT>How will my bike run with just the two insIde needles shimmed? I can't get to the two outside needles. The screws are just getting stripped. What can I do????<URGENT>

PS: IT'S GOING TO RAIN SOON AND IM DOING THIS ALL OUTSIDE!!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, thanks for the backup guys. Heres the update, I barely missed the rain, I was able to just put my tank on halfass and put a plastic tarp over the bike. But I only have the two middle needles shimmed, how will it run that way?

·
Registered
32 Posts
i wouldnt suggest doin that. it wont run right, the center cylinders will be richer than the rest in the midrange and prolly be doggy or somethin. see if u can use a small pair of vise grips on the screws and order some new screws from the dealer. good luck man.

·
Registered
32 Posts
jus a thought- dont lose the little o-rings on top of the carbs. they are really small and easy to lose track of. if u lose them they will create vacuum leak and wont pull the needles up at midrange and it will prolly have a dead spot in midrange.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Originally posted by zix6er
jus a thought- dont lose the little o-rings on top of the carbs. they are really small and easy to lose track of. if u lose them they will create vacuum leak and wont pull the needles up at midrange and it will prolly have a dead spot in midrange.

Really[?][?][?][?][?] Read about EIGHT posts above yours. This shit gets old really really quick.

Go to RadioShack and buy the washers they come in a multi pack bag for $1.99 and you want to use the #4 washers. One for each jet needle. Here's a really good how to link that has step by step instructions. The link has a good video clip that shows you how to shim the needles.

Be sure to pay special attention to this part of the process.

** Remove vacuum valve cover by removing 2 screws. *WARNING* there is one tiny o-ring under the vacuum valve cover that will fall down into the motor. It is imperative you find it or order a couple from your dealer ahead of time (Kaw p/n 16038-022). I located all of them and had to fish them out with tape on the end of a long screwdriver. I used a tiny smear of contact cement in the cover to hold o-ring in place to reinstall. Also, after I did the job I thought about using silicone sealant instead due to ease of use (just a tiny smear on the o-ring then stick it to the cover). You must put them back and whatever you do, don't block the air port! THIS IS THE TRICKIEST PART OF THE JOB.**

http://www.gstwins.com/zx6r/zx6r_shim.htm

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2103391&cp

Flat Washers Catalog #: 64-3022

The best that you can do for yourself is buy the Kawasaki Service Manual for $59.95 Part No. 99924-1254-04

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Originally posted by zix6er
i wouldnt suggest doin that. it wont run right, the center cylinders will be richer than the rest in the midrange and prolly be doggy or somethin. see if u can use a small pair of vise grips on the screws and order some new screws from the dealer. good luck man.
What he said.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I'm going to the shop right now to see if someone can do the last two needles for me, and replace the screws. And I'm missing the spacer the goes between the tank and the frame, so I'll try getting a new one of thoes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am thinking of doing this instead of a jet kit on my 01, and just have a quick question. I do have a hickup most times that I open her up so fixing that would be great. But, will I increase my power at all with this or will it merely smooth out the power band. BTW, I only have a Two Brothers Slip on it, and I am not sure if I have a kn or not...was told it came with one, but never looked.

Fry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.