Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After only 1000 miles, I have decided the V is not the bike for me. And with the super sexy '09 650R, I have decided to switch to it. I am extremely happy with the engine and tranny, just don't think the V is quite the ride I want. Although I have gotten past the lean issue I was having earlier, I find myself longing for a slightly more sport bike riding position. Would move up to a zx-6r, but can't justify the cost of the bike, or the power. Going to get one eventually for the track though.

That, and every red vehicle I have owned up until this point I have wrecked. So I figure if I can go for the green '09 and be that much safer :rolleyes:

So how many people have done a track day on their 650R? Thinking I may go this summer.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Welcome, By V i am guessing you mean Vulcan:confused:
I love my 650, and the ergos are very standard and impressively comfortable, there many mods out there for 650's also if your a gearhead. As for a track day i haven't yet as i want to get few thousand miles on her and then go to a weekend track school etc.

Check here for specific information regarding the ninja 650.
http://www.brp650forum.com/phpbb3/index.php

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome, By V i am guessing you mean Vulcan:confused:
I love my 650, and the ergos are very standard and impressively comfortable, there many mods out there for 650's also if your a gearhead. As for a track day i haven't yet as i want to get few thousand miles on her and then go to a weekend track school etc.

Check here for specific information regarding the ninja 650.
http://www.brp650forum.com/phpbb3/index.php
Sorry, V = Versys. That is why the part of me being happy with engine and tranny was in there.

Not too much of a gearhead on the bike, yet. Someday, maybe. I just like to ride really.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sorry, V = Versys. That is why the part of me being happy with engine and tranny was in there.

Not too much of a gearhead on the bike, yet. Someday, maybe. I just like to ride really.
My understanding is that the Versys has much better suspension than the 650R which has no rebound control. You are pretty much getting a lower Versys with a faring and cheaper suspension by going with a 650R. If looks are you primary concern I agree the new 650R is MUCH better looking when compared with a Versys.

I have an '08 Ninja 250R and see both the Versys and new 650R as likely upgrade paths. But, the 250R gets about 60mpg, does what I need it to do and sells for about half the price of those two. Guess I'll stick with it a while longer.

Tim

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was under the impression that they redesigned the swingarm/suspension for '09.

Part of the switch is for looks and part is for riding position. I will be test riding it before I buy it, that is for sure.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was under the impression that they redesigned the swingarm/suspension for '09.

Part of the switch is for looks and part is for riding position. I will be test riding it before I buy it, that is for sure.
They did redo some of that stuff but still no rebound control front or rear. Too bad we can't test ride bikes. It sucks to just sit on a bike in the showroom to see how it fits.

Tim

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can't? I test ride them at my dealer. Must be a difference in policies. We can't test ride without an endorsement though.

·
Registered
854 Posts
According to a test rider on the Kawi payroll (would love to have THAT job) he had this to say... "The new 650 is faster than the old one. I'm not sure about hard numbers but I'm guessing +3 HP. I passed a couple of guys on R1s on Ortega Hwy (fast twisty road in the OC) the other day on a new 650R. It handles much better than the old bike for sure!"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts