Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i searched this site and cant really find much on WHY we gain 8 or so hp when this is performed so if someone could enlighten me with step by step instructions it would be greatly appretiated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The jumper mod tricks the USDM ecu to think is is a Euro ecu, the reason you gain horsepower is cause the octane ratings in Europe are higher the so you need to be care full. Think of it like your running ( bare with me i'm not a professional and i know these # are perfect), a 95 octane map but you only running 92 from the pump. . In Europe the octane ratings are higher they have 94 or 95 at the pump so they can give better tunning to their bike because the avlalibility of higher octane.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so what you are saying is we are "tricking" our ecu to see another "better" tune...how exactly do you perform this...i know its a plug with 4 wires under the seat but what wires do i jump together

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
black w/yellow stripes connects to aqua w/ green stripes.

·
Registered
585 Posts
hmmm i have the malaysian spec bike and it also has the mod done straight from the factory and i highly doubt that mayalsia has that reasoning...

i know the japanese spec bikes are actually the opposite..the power is reduced...dramatically, namely cuase the power bikes make are to powerful for the road conditions and/or what not...jap law kinda says they hafta reduce the power on there own spec bikes but the retarded thing is they are allowed to export and reinport the bikes cheaper than buyin than own spec.

anywho, there mita been sumthing somewhere possibily that they couldnt put it on the US spec bikes...and its not gas either, japan base lines for fuel are higher than ours as well

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Damn, search button works wonders, but i will give you the real reason..
Like the Honda Rc51 the US bike has a SOFT REV LIMITER that pretty much kills some power and revability of the bike at higher RPM.
The non sugar coated version is that this prevents Jackasses from hitting the rev limiter and possibly causing valave float or other such damage which kawi does not want to deal with claims,. yamaha has had some issues with their R6 motors goign POP!
Typically american bikers are not as experienced as Euro riders and or just dont give a shit about their low priced bikes.
so with the wire mod you get a full spec euro/un-restricted bike.
if you add a Kit Ecu for racing it does the wire jumper as well in the harness.

Moral of the story you are just making your bike a NON-NEUTERED BIKE..has nothing to do with exhaust valves or fuel octane.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Like the Honda Rc51 the US bike has a SOFT REV LIMITER that pretty much kills some power and revability of the bike at higher RPM.
The non sugar coated version is that this prevents Jackasses from hitting the rev limiter and possibly causing valave float or other such damage which kawi does not want to deal with claims,. yamaha has had some issues with their R6 motors goign POP!
Typically american bikers are not as experienced as Euro riders and or just dont give a shit about their low priced bikes.

Moral of the story you are just making your bike a NON-NEUTERED BIKE..has nothing to do with exhaust valves or fuel octane.
Excellent answer jd.
quick and to the point

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
The jumper mod tricks the USDM ecu to think is is a Euro ecu, the reason you gain horsepower is cause the octane ratings in Europe are higher the so you need to be care full. Think of it like your running ( bare with me i'm not a professional and i know these # are perfect), a 95 octane map but you only running 92 from the pump. . In Europe the octane ratings are higher they have 94 or 95 at the pump so they can give better tunning to their bike because the avlalibility of higher octane.

Hope this helps
Incorrect, it has nothing to do with octane.

It had to do with the octane ratings and emissions.
Nope.

Good how-to but the gains are more in the neighborhood of around 3 HP, not 9.2

Allow me to edify. The USDM limiting factor is the DOT. If a manufacturer wants to sell their shit here, the DOT is the boss. Kawasaki did it to appease them.

It has nothing to do with valve-float, get that reasoning out of your mind. If it were a valve-float preventative measure on USDM bike, it would be a employed on a JDM, UDM, AU, SZ ect. bike as there is no mechanical difference. These engines would have to turn a lot higher to achieve valve-float.

Kawasaki does not engineer a bike on the projected skill level of their target market in the US , Europe, Asia, or where ever they are going to sell them, they design the bike to beat their competitors pure and simple. I am puzzled as to where you are getting this from. :confused:

EVERY manufacturer has had problems with engine failure/transmission failure ect. at one time or another, not just Yamaha R6s. They attempt to fix the problems the next time around with field and factory directed modification service bulletins but shit happens and they expect it too. When they do patch a mechanical problem, I promise you, they don't do it with an electronic/software counter measure. Please believe me on this.

Long story short, it is to keep the bikes from exceeding 300kmh or 186.4 MPH

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
So your telling me they do this on ONLY the zx6r which cant even break 165mph, yet dont do the same thing on the ZX-10r which can actually go 185 or the zx12/14 for that mattter?
The Rc51 limited stateside but not in europe again, cant do 170mph...
The 08 cbr1000rr limited as well but cant do 180mph?
I call BS

As for valve float i read your other post in another thread and revving this bike to the rpm's you mention (if it actually could do it) is going to leave you with a Busted ass bike.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Lol - sounds like some of us dont have the patience for the "average-joe" rider. I'm not expert but I would say that I am a "power-user" and to put it in average speak: Combining the Extensive knowledge that JD and Tough Guy have and describing it to a regular rider, I have done some research on this before I did the mod and JD and Tough guy both right but forgot one aspect, sound. According to many websites, the rev-limiter prevents you from blowing your engine (anywhere in the world) but also keeps your sound within US guidelines. (This sounds like bullshit to me cause what about Harleys then??) If you hit the limiter with a stock can on back, then the valve is closed and opened, which inturn cut the airflow/power/sound of the bike. Outside Europe they dont give a F.

On the point of the speed limiter, I thought that was a completely different mod. Am i right?

Im sure someone will disagree or correct me. Please do - knowledge is power!!

On how to do it, simple follow the link to i-hacked.com (i used an insulated paper clip and cut it down)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Lol - sounds like some of us dont have the patience for the "average-joe" rider. I'm not expert but I would say that I am a "power-user" and to put it in average speak: Combining the Extensive knowledge that JD and Tough Guy have and describing it to a regular rider, I have done some research on this before I did the mod and JD and Tough guy bot right but forgot one aspect, sound. According to many websites, the rev-limiter prevents you from blowing your engine (anywhere in the world) but also keeps your sound within US guidelines. (This sounds like bullshit to me cause what about Harleys then??) If you hit the limiter with a stock can on back, then the valve is closed and opened, which inturn cut the airflow/power/sound of the bike. Outside Europe they dont give a F.

On the point of the speed limiter, I thought that was a completely different mod. Am i right?

Im sure someone will disagree or correct me. Please do - knowledge is power!!

On how to do it, simple follow the link to i-hacked.com (i used an insulated paper clip and cut it down)

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
thats all fine, and dandy...but you didnt really answer the question.....
What/who's question was not answered? We've gone over just about everything pertaining to the jumper mod. How to do it, what it does, and what to expect.

So your telling me they do this on ONLY the zx6r which cant even break 165mph, yet dont do the same thing on the ZX-10r which can actually go 185 or the zx12/14 for that mattter?
The Rc51 limited stateside but not in europe again, cant do 170mph...
The 08 cbr1000rr limited as well but cant do 180mph?
I call BS

As for valve float i read your other post in another thread and revving this bike to the rpm's you mention (if it actually could do it) is going to leave you with a Busted ass bike.
1) The ZX6R CAN exceed 165 MPH and will approach 180 without the ex. valve restriction.

2) The ZX10R, ZX12R, ZX14/ZZR1400 unlimited are all capable of well surpassing 186.4 MPH and can (in the ZX12r-ZX14's case) exceed 200 MPH. Feathering the exauhst valve is not a feasible way to limit or slow a bike that fast down. All have speed limiters that operate in a different way than the 636. The ECU electronically cuts fuel and ignition to alternating cylinders at max speed. (drops #1) fires 2-3-4, fires #1 (drops #2) fires 3-4, and so on.

Umm... an stock RC51 will do 170+

CBR1000RR is limited at 300kmh as well. Unlimited that bike will do in excess of 190MPH.

Yes! reving a bike to 18+K rpm will leave you with a busted bike eventually. That's why the manufacturer limits them down in the 15K's ;) As for valves to actually "float" or remain out of contact with the cam for a period of time in the lift duration...the engine would have to turn well above redline before valves contact the pistons. They don't set the rev-limiter at 15.5K and the engine comes apart at 15.6K. The engineers design the bikes knowing some dumb asshole is going ot operate it out side of it's "intended" use.

I have done some research on this before I did the mod and JD and Tough guy both right but forgot one aspect, sound. According to many websites, the rev-limiter prevents you from blowing your engine (anywhere in the world) but also keeps your sound within US guidelines.

The ex. valve's SOLE purpose in life is to vary the back pressure (because these engines have a relatively long overlap duration) to optimize the torque curve through out the power band. The stock muffler's SOLE job in life is to quiet the exhaust to acceptable federal levels. The quieting effect the ex. valve produces is a byproduct of shock-wave suppression in the exhaust. Even without the ex. valve, the bike would still pass federal noise emission levels in stock trim.

Yes, bypassing the speed limiter is a different modification than the "jumper mod".

·
Registered
585 Posts
I believe it is a combo of JD gun and tough guy...

but like i was sayin and as tough guy also chimmed in about...as in the japanese spec version they are very limited due to the japanese say they must be...each country has diff rules regarding their DOTs hence the diff spec/power abilty of the same exact engine

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just a correction about the R6's blowing up. It was and is an issue with the 06-07 model due to the know problem of the crank bearings being to small and not having enough oil flow. I had a 50th Anni and got lucky that I did not have the problem. It's a hit or miss kinda problem.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
What/who's question was not answered? We've gone over just about everything pertaining to the jumper mod. How to do it, what it does, and what to expect.
I think they/we wanna know why or how it works as pertaining to the original question being that so many different opinions were thrown in

·
Banned
1,505 Posts
Just a correction about the R6's blowing up. It was and is an issue with the 06-07 model due to the know problem of the crank bearings being to small and not having enough oil flow. I had a 50th Anni and got lucky that I did not have the problem. It's a hit or miss kinda problem.
Just a correction, just about every bike out there has an issue of one sort or another. NOT just R6's. Could there be a known issue with crank bearing on that year/make/model? Sure. Are they the ONLY bike that "blow up". Not by a long shot. I never stated R6's DON'T have problems, I stated every manufacturer has had problematic models. This issue is not specific to 2G 636's.

I think they/we wanna know why or how it works as pertaining to the original question being that so many different opinions were thrown in
How it works: You stick a paper clip in a plug under the seat and ECM/ECU reads a different set of paramters. What's hard about this? The Ex. butterfly opens fully 10K rpm. No magic there.

·
Banned
347 Posts
None of anything is this thread is correct as to why the Kawi 6R was limited on top end.

It has to do with 1 thing and 1 thing ONLY.

United States EPA Noise testing.

EPA noise testing is done at the manufacters rated Peak HP divided by 1/2.

In other words, if the peak power of the engine is rated at 12,000 RPM's then the DOT does noise testing at 6000 RPM's.

So by limiting the top end of a bike from say 12,000 to 11,000, then noise testing is done at 5,500 RPM's. These #s are used for educational purposes only.

Then is why Kawasaki limited the top end of the US 6R from Euro specs whose noise testing is not as tight as the US. The Euro emission testing is a different cirtieria and the US bike meets both.

This has NOTHING to do with limiting top end speed, (laughable to think that a stock or lightly modded 600 could go past 186 with a jumper mod) or to prevent engine damage, or to lower the power to a different rider skill level.

It was designed so Kawi could reduce and "certify" the peak HP rating of the engine to the US EPA and thus pass noise testing at a lower RPM. If the Euro map was used Kawi would have to certify the engine with a higher Peak Horsepower RPM and thus noise testing at a higher RPM.

The exact same thing happened with the 08 HONDA 1KRR and when pressed Honda sent out a notice stating such.

Use Google, look it up. It clearly states that nosie testing on motorcycles that are certified for the USA is done at a RPM rating of 1/2 Peak HP.

By lowering the rated peak HP, the noise tesing is also lowered.

JJ

1 - 20 of 42 Posts