Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if it's already been posted, but I've talked to a few mechanics of multiple different engines (boats, small engines, and road worthy vehicles) and they are all saying that the ethanol levels in the fuels are terrible for motors and you should run fuel stabilizer in every tank every time. It apparently attracts moisture and is terrible for injectors and carbs. So just to let you all know it's a good chance you'll get more from your motor if you run stabilizer in every tank of gas

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Yes it attracts moisture. So if you leave your tank say half full for a month (on regular intervals) it will soak up a lot of moisture. If you go through a tank of fuel like a normal person you won't have any issues. And have you ever used alcohol to clean anything? Because that's what ethanol is. It's awesome for cleaning. If you let it sit exposed to moisture for a long time it will soak it up and become gummy. If you ride often (or drive a vehicle) the ethanol acts AS a fuel system cleaner.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I just run sea foam from time to time

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
every once in a while I'll drain the floats just to make sure there's no h20 down there. Then I'll run sea foam once a year before I get the bike emissioned. I can't figure out why you'd need to put stuff in anything, every time out if you're using the bike regularly.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
You can't tell if there is water in the fuel bowls like you used to. Ethanol absorbs it :evil6: There's usually not a clear separation.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
You can't tell if there is water in the fuel bowls like you used to. Ethanol absorbs it :evil6: There's usually not a clear separation.
well, if you drain it entirely, then there be none there. :D

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
:squint: Well played.

I've said it a million times though. Ethanol isn't as bad as people make it out to be. If you put yourself at risk by constantly leaving your tank half full (or less), leave it out in the elements, etc. you're going to run into problems. If I leave a tool outside and then come back 2 months later would I blame the manufacturer for using the wrong alloys of steel in the tool because it started rusting? No It's my fault and as the tool wasn't meant to do what I subjected it to.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
I've been drinking ethanol all night...

Can't be all bad...

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Gasoline in my state is legally mandated to be 10% ethanol. That alone is kind of stupid but the liberal bastards are wanting to raise it to 20% where it may cause vehicles like idk... a high performance motorcycle like we all ride? to run differently. It doesnt lower the prices like they say because its taxed the same.

As long as it stays at a low enough a level that I dont have to retrofit and retune my bikes or car ill be fine I quess.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Gasoline in my state is legally mandated to be 10% ethanol. That alone is kind of stupid but the liberal bastards are wanting to raise it to 20% where it may cause vehicles like idk... a high performance motorcycle like we all ride? to run differently. It doesnt lower the prices like they say because its taxed the same.

As long as it stays at a low enough a level that I dont have to retrofit and retune my bikes or car ill be fine I quess.
if you dont think 10% is effecting your performance or gas mileage then you too have drank the koolaid :D

·
Registered
28,050 Posts
:squint: Well played.

I've said it a million times though. Ethanol isn't as bad as people make it out to be. If you put yourself at risk by constantly leaving your tank half full (or less), leave it out in the elements, etc. you're going to run into problems. If I leave a tool outside and then come back 2 months later would I blame the manufacturer for using the wrong alloys of steel in the tool because it started rusting? No It's my fault and as the tool wasn't meant to do what I subjected it to.
No it's your fault for being said tool. Go inside and shave, you look ridiculous!

I do seafoam every other tank just cause.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts