Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of the best 600's that I have ever been on. I was wondering I know the valve intermets for adjusting is 16K, but only have about 8k on the bike. But the valves sound pretty ticky. How easy is it to readjust the valves? I just bought the book, and it seems pretty easy.

Any recomendations before I do the task?

Is it common to do the vavles so early 8k compared to 16k?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Is this your first kawi? They tick pretty loud compare to other bikes. I'm guessing your valves are fine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sound is only on idle. but when you get the beast screaming, no ticking is heard on the top. Is that normal to idle like that?

I might check them anyways, just to be on the safe side.

But how hard is it to do (valves) on a 03 RR?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Noise is very common on a Kawi and if heard at idle and not when reving then could be the cam chain adjuster instead of the valves. Pretty common problem... I've got a manual adjuster in mine to quite it down. Do a search for "manual cct" and you'll find lots of info.

Also try the push it engine off in 6th trick as well it's helped some. It didn't work for me but worked great for a friend who has a 04 zx6rr as well so might work... it's in this thread written by tickles

http://www.kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=41117

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW GREAT INFO ZX6RRDAN. I'll go ahead and do the search, and see what's up.

By the way, would anyone know the difference between rr's from the 03 model to the 04?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Too funny I just posted this in another thread...

The 04 zx6rr frame was black as well the inner fork tubes are black and coated with dlc suspension settings where suppose to be different 03/04 as well.

Motor is quite different in the 04 zx6rr vs 03 zx6rr... from what I remember the 04 has different gear box ratios, larger intake valves, different camshafts with more lift, different velocity stacks, different combustion chamber shape, different piston crowns, coating on the piston skirts, cylinder wall cut outs for less pumping loss, oval valve springs, ti valve shims, oil pump gear ratio is different, dual injectors with shower type in the air box and different air box with a removable plate in it.

I've got the release for the 04 zx6rr changes home though so if someone thinks I'm off base from memory let me know and I'll check out the release :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.