Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got motivated by the ebay ad posted earlier and bought myself a 05 zx10R engine. I am very excited to get Fuel injection. So now I will have a well maintained 03 zx9R engine for sale with 8k miles on it. I will also be selling my 01 zx9r (complete bike, with 11k miles) to help finance the transplant of engines in my 03. Anyone interested in either, let me know. I will keep you all posted on the engine installation.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Your gunna put the 10r engine in the 03 9r? I have an 03 9r and it would be sweet to have the comfort of the 9r with the additional 10r hp. I wasn't sure that it would fit... let us know how it works out.

How much would you sell that 03 engine for? I have 18.5k on my 03 and its still running strong, but I love that bike and will probably need another engine eventually.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want the wind protection, stability, and superior touring comfort of the 9R with the extra 30 horses of the 10R. I will offer my engine for 1200 probably. I will keep this post updated with the transformation.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Yeah, let us know how that goes, I would definitely look into putting the 10r engine in my bike if my engine ever goes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Cant be done easily

http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11204&highlight=notice

Originally posted by knowledge
Got motivated by the ebay ad posted earlier and bought myself a 05 zx10R engine. I am very excited to get Fuel injection. So now I will have a well maintained 03 zx9R engine for sale with 8k miles on it. I will also be selling my 01 zx9r (complete bike, with 11k miles) to help finance the transplant of engines in my 03. Anyone interested in either, let me know. I will keep you all posted on the engine installation.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I read through the link strezx and it seems pretty easy. If the front and bottom rear bolt up it would be pretty easy to fab up the upper rear mount. The hard work was the tranns[lant into the zx7 frame or rather complete build of a frame.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry guys, it ain't happening! I took the engine down to Fast Lane in Chantilly and after measuring the holes, I was given an estimate of 2k labor. I looked around but no one else seems to want to do it. I found a reputable welder who said that he could fab some mounts for me for $500 and then I could have integrated everything else but this guy has never worked on a bike and I don't plan on popping chains and doing u-turns evertime I hit it hard. Needless to say I just sold the zx10r engine and lost about $500 but hey you live and you learn. Back to my original plan of the 998 kit. Damn, Ireally wanted FI. I have been very tempted but I promise I won't be selling out the 9 for a 10. I am still happy to be riding the best all around superbike ever built IMHO. Back to the original questions, Muzzy's or ZLOCK? JE or Wiseco? Am I going to run too hot?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello all. I just bought the one on ebay that has the 10R Engine in it. It was a lot of work and some fab. But it does run real nice and the FI is awesome......

·
Registered
311 Posts
Originally posted by ZX9RTommy
Hello all. I just bought the one on ebay that has the 10R Engine in it. It was a lot of work and some fab. But it does run real nice and the FI is awesome......
Congrats! Cool looking bike, and it must be fun!

Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
750 Posts
2k dollars to put a 10r motor in a zx-9 seems like a deal, for about the price of a big bore kit installed you would be making more hp stock, with the ability to upgrade eaisly from there.. then again i'm not unhappy with the power of my stock 03 yet

·
Registered
154 Posts
Originally posted by knowledge
Back to the original questions, Muzzy's or ZLOCK? JE or Wiseco? Am I going to run too hot?
Since you have a 2003 engine you can go with the muzzy kit with no mod, but I have been told by many experts that the 14:1 compression is a little high for street use, but then again I have never driven a bike with that high of compression. Im going with the wiseco 923 kit, only because I have a 98, and I want it streetable. And JE is the same as wiseco. Thats my 2 cents. Good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"2k dollars to put a 10r motor in a zx-9 seems like a deal, for about the price of a big bore kit installed you would be making more hp stock, with the ability to upgrade eaisly from there.. then again i'm not unhappy with the power of my stock 03 yet"

Well 2k was just for the custom fab work. I would still have needed to have everything converted over to the 9 frame, a custom mid-pipe, zx10 speedometer and then another $500 to map it (Fast Lane custom tunes for every gear). I was easily looking at 4500 including what I paid for the engine. I am happy with the 03 9's power but I am just greedy! I probably will just do the big bore. But wifey just talked me into buying a house and that was another driving factor. I am curious what the ride is like with the zx10 engine. I may just get remotivated after closing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Knowledge - I got your PM. I can't reply back yet. But yea, let me know when you are comin around and we could probably meet up. It is in the garage for the winter and I'm in the process of finishing some stuff on it that wasn't on it when I bought it. if not soon, let me know in the spring and we can meet up....

Tommy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.