Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm sure glad I found this board.

I bought a 2000 Ninja zx6r yesterday. I am very happy, as I got a good deal on it. Bike is in extremely good condition.

My question is: This is my first ever bike, and went riding a few times already. When I took some sharper than normal turns, at low or higher speeds, the front end seemed to twitch a bit, which made me nervous.

I asked 2 of my riding buddies who have been riding most of their lives and they concluded the same thing, which made me nervous.

I was wondering is I should stiffen my front suspension, or maybe get it checked by a dealer. I don`t want to kill myself.

Any suggestions, anyone, on what could be the cause ?

My specs : 24 years old, 5'11'', 205lbs. The guy who sold it to me seemed to share my specs.

Thanks all, and glad to be onboard !!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
What condition are those tires in?

Also of note, are the head bearings tight? You can check this by standing the bike up and rocking the bike back and forth with the front brakes on. Or a better way would be to prop it up on the back wheel and sidestand and wiggle the whole front wheel around some.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
There is no telling how the suspension is adjusted. Before you get the suspension adjusted properly I wouldn't even think about quirky handling.

A good place to start is to set the sag. You can do a search and find information on how to do this or have some friends help you out. You can get some initial setting for the front and rear compression and rebound from Sport Rider.

Look at the top of the fork tubes. The top of the tube should be even with the tripple clamp if the front has not been dropped. Dropping the front will cause it to be more twitchy.

In general the '00 doesn't have a reputation as being twitchy, in fact the way it comes from the factory it is too stable. Take it easy for a while. Many people crash sportbike right after they get them before they get used to the handling characteristics.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice all...

Tires are in good condition. Only 1 summer of light riding on them.

I will look into it more before I going riding again. Hope it's not the bearings, it sounds like an expensive item to fix (could be wrong).

Thanks again. I'll will post again when I've tried setting the sag.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just bought my first bike three weeks ago and its a 2000 6r too. No problems with the front end at all ,altough I started off by re setting all suspensions to stock. The previous owner said everything was stock... but I found different.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
yes, that will help stabilize some, but check your suspension. are the forks pulled through the triple tree also? just curious.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by arturo3rd

are the forks pulled through the triple tree also? just curious.
Hmmm.. don't know what you said there [:I]

How would I know...

Also, earlier some of you guys said to check the head bearings, to make sure they are tight.

I tried rocking the bike back and forth with the front brake on, and did not hear or feel any play.
However, when I come to a stop sign (~5 km/h) and I tap on the front brakes, I can feel and hear a "click" of sorts.

Can I check and tighten the head bearings myself ? How would I so this ?

PS I didn't call myself NewbieNinja for nothin...hehehe

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The clicking sound is normal.

The fork tubes will slide up and down inside the tripple trees, the little thingys that attached the fork tubes to the bars and to the steering head. From the factory none of the fork tube is stick up above the top tripple tree. The aluminum cap that has the big hex and the adjustment thingy in the middle should be flush with the top of the top tripple tree.

I wouldn't worry about it. Judging by your level of expertise you don't have much experience riding. You should take it easy for a while.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK Thanks.

True, I am somewhat inexperienced.

I will take it easy for a while, winter is coming anyways.

But I love to ride, and love the bike so far !

Thanks again

PS, I love the multiple use of the word "thingy" :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.