Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, few issues with the bike, (already posted this in the newbie section, but figured it would get more attention over here).
first being the tank, but I think I have a temporary solution figured out, so I can at least get the bike running and down the road.
the speedo cluster stopped working mysteriously (said the previous owner) what things can I check to see if its wiring, the actual speedo, or a fuse (do bikes have fuses?)
***quick forewarning I'm going to have a lot of DUMB questions since this is my first bike, i've had my license for 6 years though, I've just ridden them, never worked on one. I also have a 2003 Mach 1 mustang, I've done extensive work to that myself so I'm good mechanically, just dont know a lot about bikes yet.

also the rubber tubes that connect the intake on the carb to the intake box where the filter is were almost completely melted, you guys heard of that before? I was thinkin about buying some POD filters to get it running for now.

The bike also doesn't want to idle for some reason. I don't know how to tune 4 carbs together... I know there is probably a search feature, so please go light on the flaming at first!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Well, as for your speedo issue, i am willing to bet your mechanical drive on the front wheel is bad, its pretty common on older bikes for it to wear out. As for your airbox boots, they break down and deteriorate over time, and also on older bikes that didn't run good, they would backfire and the flame would sometimes catch the airbox on fire and melt them, i have seen it on many customer bikes that people had tried to get running right. Now for your idle issue, have you taken the carbs apart? I bet your pilots are clogged, i would give the carbs an overall cleaning. If you did clean them, the lack of airbox and air leaking in, will make it idle rough or not at all because the extra air is leaning it out and it needs the regulated amount of air from the airbox. Pods would help, but still give you too much air, but you can rejet and compensate for the added air.
Hope this helps.
Ben

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'll say that I know its an 85, i'm not trying to dump gobs of money into this thing to get it running well again, but I'm not trying to cheap it out and not do it the right way. I've never rejetted carbs before, is it something anybody that is "good with their hands" could do? How would I know what size fuel jets to get to compensate for the increased airflow from the pod filters?
the internals of the plastic airbox have been melted as well as the rubber connectors, I'm guessing the piece is shot and think it would be easier to get some jets and pod filters, rather than buying that huge plastic piece and going back to a factory airbox setup. What would you recommend I do?

I'll check the mechanical drive on the front wheel for the speedo. I've seen a site before that has every part laid out in a diagram and you can order whatever part you need from it, so it should be an easy task to source out the speedo gear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright I've got an update on the bike, threw some fresh fuel in the tank after a good clean and an inline fuel filter replacement. got the bike to run on choke, but if i even so much as touch the throttle or try and take it off choke, the bike will die. now once the bike is warmed up if i give it slow throttle and then rev it quick, it will run up through the RPMs but it sputters and bogs at first.

Any general advise on what could be wrong with the bike why it won't idle? the guy I bought the bike from had the carbs completely apart and said he cleaned them very thoroughly and the bike still wouldn't run. Should I take them apart and clean them myself just so I know it was done right? seems like a lot of work that could just be duplicating what the other owner already did.

well any help to fix the symptoms my bike has would be awesome, thanks guys

·
Registered
840 Posts
yes

clean them again. Chances are he lied for the sale or did not do it very well. but as ttr50 said, if your airflow is messed up your carbs will make the bike run like shit, clean or dirty.

If it were mine, I would go back to the stock airbox .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes

clean them again. Chances are he lied for the sale or did not do it very well. but as ttr50 said, if your airflow is messed up your carbs will make the bike run like shit, clean or dirty.

If it were mine, I would go back to the stock airbox .

Well I bought it off a buddy of mine, I saw them all taken apart on his workbench and he had all types of wire brushes and carb cleaner and dirty rags that he had used to clean them out with... I think I'll take them to another friends house with an air compressor and give them a once over again.
The K&N website says the POD filters from them are specifically designed so you don't have to re-jet the carbs. Is that a false claim?

The only issue with the stock airbox is that it looks like the carbs backfired HARD and melted the rubber connectors from the carbs to the airbox, all 4 are melted and looked like they were on fire from all the damage to them, the inside baffles of the airbox have melted parts of them too.

This bike is an '85 with only 7K miles on it, so I'm not sure why it would be having all of these problems with getting running correctly.

Also is there a special trick to getting the rubber connectors from the carbs to the airbox onto the carbs? they have this spring thats wrapped around it, and only about an inch to stick your finger down in there to push the boot onto the carb. I tried putting it all back together and couldn't get two of the connectors on there.

·
Registered
731 Posts
how hot are you letting the bike get? my 02 stumbles a bit at anything under 70 degrees(celcius, think thats like 180f??), but runs like a top when it gets hot. Personally i would do a compression test to make sure it has compression, you've already put good fuel and a new filter in it. You've changed the plugs as well right?

I'm not even wondering if the carbs are clean, but more so did he mess with any of the settings? fuel mixture? And did it go back together properly, carb's are really simple to take covers off of but theres enough little rubber washers that its not hard to lose something. Did you clean the carbs again yet? i'd definitely be pulling out the pilot jets and making sure they're not plugged, and if float height was messed with that could be causing fueling issues as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow an 85 ZX600 what does that thing look like? What did you pay for it if you dont mind?
honestly its got a few and I mean a few scratches on it, somehow the side of the tank has a few dents in it (which has some surface rust on it), but i'm in the process of clay barring, 3 step polishing, and waxing the whole thing, I'm guessing by the end of this week I should be done cleaning it, and when I do I'll post up some pics, the paint looks phenominal from what I've done so far. I paid 100 bucks for the bike haha, but really its not that bad from what I can see, its got flush mount turn signals, the tail has been modified so it doesn't have that terrible plate mount anymore, I'll get some pics by the end of this week with it together.

how hot are you letting the bike get? my 02 stumbles a bit at anything under 70 degrees(celcius, think thats like 180f??), but runs like a top when it gets hot. Personally i would do a compression test to make sure it has compression, you've already put good fuel and a new filter in it. You've changed the plugs as well right?

I'm not even wondering if the carbs are clean, but more so did he mess with any of the settings? fuel mixture? And did it go back together properly, carb's are really simple to take covers off of but theres enough little rubber washers that its not hard to lose something. Did you clean the carbs again yet? i'd definitely be pulling out the pilot jets and making sure they're not plugged, and if float height was messed with that could be causing fueling issues as well.

Good luck.
So, I'm really not sure about the fuel mixture settings, after I get it apart I'll be sure to clean the jets really well, but are there any "stock" type settings I can put the screws at to give me a decent baseline for at least getting the thing to idle? I know how to tune a carburetor on a fox body mustang and an old chevy 350, but these bike carbs look completely different so I'm lost. I've tried to do research but nobody has pictures with arrows pointing to where all the fuel mixture screws are at and what to mess with to get it running. It just says things like "adjust the mixture screws".... well alright thats fine and dandy but where are they? haha
Once again I'm not trying to ask dumb questions i'm simply ignorant when it comes to working on bikes. My buddy has a compression tester for a 302 mustang, are the spark plug threads the same for bikes as they are cars? i could just borrow that and see if the bike has good compression.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts