Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. Newbie to riding here. :)

I just bought my first bike. It's a new 2012 Ninja 650 in black. I pick it up either this Tues or Weds. Paid $4500 straight which included all the misc fees. Got that price as a favor from a friend of my uncle.

I originally wanted the Ninja 300. When I sat on it, it fit me perfectly like a glove. Felt like I was in complete control even though I was only just sitting on it. I expected the 300 to be smaller. Then I sat on the 650 and it felt even better. Didn't fell like I was in complete control like the 300, but it felt very manageable and more spacious while still having that perfect fit feeling. I'm 6'1 225lbs. I feel like if I were an inch or two taller, the 300 might be a tad too small. With the 650, I feel I have a better margin of space. Also I wasn't able to get such a great deal for the 2013 Ninja 300 as I got for the 2012 650. The 300 would have cost more.

I was also looking to see the KLX250 but they didn't have any. They did have the KLX650 which the dealer(my uncle's friend) highly advised against. I didn't need to take his word for it, cause once I saw it, I couldn't believe how freaking big it was. When I sat on it, I couldn't even flat foot it. That became out of the question for me.

Now for my riding history ..... The MSF safety course which I took two years ago using Honda rebel 250. That's it. :eek:

I'm going to ride home when I pick my bike up. The ride will be from Brooklyn to Queens. I will be taking the back roads and completely avoiding highways and busy avenues. I do know someone with an older Ninja 250 who is going to let me practice in a parking lot and then riding in the street for bit before I pick my bike up.

I've done massive research, watched just about every biker vlog on youtube, and read through out many forums. Plan on using what I've learned so far to at least give me a slight edge to make it home safe and not drop the bike. Not that really age matters, but I'm in my mid 30's and I've noticed my driving habits have become much more conservative compared to my mid 20's.

Wish me luck, and any more advice would be appreciated. :thumbup:

BTW .... SO DAMN EXCITED!!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Damn, that's a killer deal! I, too, picked up a bike recently. 2012 Ninja 650, but in green. Had them deliver it to me tho, since it was free. Didn't wanna risk embarrassing myself trying to ride it home haha!
Congrats on the bike, ride safe! I'm pretty much on the same boat as you are.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Damn, that's a killer deal! I, too, picked up a bike recently. 2012 Ninja 650, but in green. Had them deliver it to me tho, since it was free. Didn't wanna risk embarrassing myself trying to ride it home haha!
Congrats on the bike, ride safe! I'm pretty much on the same boat as you are.
Yea, It was was half of wanting to rid of the 2012 models and half cause the dealer was friend of the family. I really wanted the red version, but he only had two blacks and a green. Later on I might look for red colored rotors to match the red shock spring. But I plan on keeping everything all stock until I get used to riding.

As far as embarrassing myself, that's what full faced helmets are for. LOL

So how are you enjoying the 650 so far?

·
Registered
48 Posts
As far as embarrassing myself, that's what full faced helmets are for. LOL
hahah, good point!

It's great! Very comfortable, definitely the perfect first bike for me. Slowly learning, not quite ready for any lane splitting..

Only mods I've made is the fender eliminator and rim tape. Any performance mods will come later...much later!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been riding my friend's Ninja 250 in decent traffic for the past two days on local roads and busy avenues. Some of it was inpatient traffic. One car even went around me. LOL. Only 1 stall at a red light which I recovered quickly from. Other than that I been doing pretty good although I didn't hit over 40mph yet and still need to work on my down shifting.

Speaking of shifting. Will the 650 have a longer speed range on gears? Cause with the 250 I had to shift to first very quickly to bring down the revs and gain speed, and second gear was only twice as long(very short too). I'm just hoping that I can ride home the 650 on local streets mostly on first gear and still push a comfortable 30-40 mph.

So now I feel pretty comfortable riding my bike home from the dealer. Only problem is ..... there is a chance of scattered showers today and tomorrow. So how is riding in the rain like?

Thanks .....

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I wouldn't recommend riding in the rain until you have a few more miles in the seat. You have to be very smooth with all of your controls when you ride in the rain.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Congrats man! I also started on a 650. Good bike with lots of room to grow - have fun and ride safe.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't recommend riding in the rain until you have a few more miles in the seat. You have to be very smooth with all of your controls when you ride in the rain.
If it's normal or drizzle rain, I'll just chance it and take things very slow. But if it looks like it might down pour heavy. I'll just pick it up the next day.

I've read about how there is more oil and grease loose on the road at the beginning of rainning or light rain, so I will consider those factors while riding.

Of course I'll be going around the corner multiple times until I feel the bike out and comfortable to go on the main roads.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new bike :thumbup: Sounds like you are really responsible and only riding to your limits. Enjoy and ride safe bud!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just finished driving it home an hour ago. Stalled twice from 16 miles of mostly busy local streets, from Bklyn to Queens. Have no problem handling the bike, love how it handles. My throttle control is pretty good but not perfect. Fastest I hit was around 55 so far.

My main problem which I need to work on is shifting, it's mainly first and second gear. First and second gear still seems to short for my taste, or I might be reving to quick. I'll eventually get used to it. I feel in love with third and forth gear, and found it very easy to get off the line while on third gear. Half way home, starting out from third made it easy for me to coast on thru traffic, and the ECO light seemed to stay on most of the time.

I don't yet feel comfortable lane splitting or even communting back n forth to work. Even though I'm only 15min away from work, I don't want to deal with the serious rush hour traffic just yet. I'll be practicing my shifting coordination in quiet streets.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey NYC, same here, could ride to work but traffic is unruly.
I take the bike out on weekend nights and zoom around the empty highway roads.

And yea it feels short on first and second gear. Most probably due to short shifting.
I don't know what i'm doing wrong but i feel the lack of power there too.

I do find that engine feels like its cruising on 6th around 6-7000 rpm.
That is when "7th gear" syndrome hits me. ( Click up and curse, DAMN no more?? WTF!!)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hey NYC, same here, could ride to work but traffic is unruly.
I take the bike out on weekend nights and zoom around the empty highway roads.
That's the very reason I forced my self on the highway. I rode the same route that I would normally take to work. Rush hour over here is pretty brutal too.

And yea it feels short on first and second gear. Most probably due to short shifting.
I don't know what i'm doing wrong but i feel the lack of power there too.
I also felt like it had a slight lack of power. But that's until I would look at the speed gauge. Always feels like I'm going slower than I actually am.

I'm actually getting use to first and second gears. My main problem is downshifting to slow the bike down without the engine revving like crazy.

I do find that engine feels like its cruising on 6th around 6-7000 rpm.
That is when "7th gear" syndrome hits me. ( Click up and curse, DAMN no more?? WTF!!)
I didn't get that far yet. Didn't bring it past 70mph due to breaking it in.

I can say this. Thank god I choose this over the 300. I feel like any thing under powered than the 650, I would have got tired of quickly. It's weird for me to say that as a complete newbie.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wait did you say you're starting in 3rd gear off the line?
If so, DO NOT do that.
When you come to a complete stop, make sure you're in 1st.
When you go, make sure you're still in first. Don't go from zero in any other gear besides 1st.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wait did you say you're starting in 3rd gear off the line?
If so, DO NOT do that.
When you come to a complete stop, make sure you're in 1st.
When you go, make sure you're still in first. Don't go from zero in any other gear besides 1st.
I think he just said that he loves being in 3rd & 4th gear. He never mentioned starting from 3rd

1 - 20 of 37 Posts