Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my oil/oil filter, not the 1st time ive done the oil but last filter was changed by the dealer. After finishing i started up the bike and it started to smoke down by the filter.. I assumed it was from the oil that dripped on the pipe when i removed the filter.. But when i look in the window to see if the oil is filled properly it almost looks like there is steam on the window, like if water got in the oil or something? What could it be? If its water in the oil how do i fix it? I dont think it would be smart to run it with water in the oil.. Do i just changed the oil again? The filter? Pic will be posted in a minute..

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its hard to tell in this picture, alot of the steam has went away since i shut it off n im not comfortable turning it back on just to get a pic of the steam.. Im going to wait wash the bike off n let it dry and see how it is after that.. ImageUploadedByMO Free1377479173.856601.jpg

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had to run to the store to get a wrench to remove the filter, when i came back someone at the house had turned the water on and it looked like it may have gotten on the bike, it wasnt alot and it wasnt from what i can tell.. But when i left i had forgotten to put the cap back on and the bike was wet on the side where the cap is.. It smokes up quite a bit when it was on, and the fairings were very warm as if the bike had been running all day

·
Registered
448 Posts
May want to change the oil/filter again just to be safe. If there's water in the oil you should see it because it will be milky and will seperate after a bit. If you put it in a clear container you should be able to see it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do u think it would be noticeable thru the window used to check the oil level? I never thought about that.. I get worried over things that go wrong with the bike because it is my 1st bike and i didnt do these things with my 1st car, and because of that i have had alot of problems with it..

·
Registered
653 Posts
Don't stress over it, just oil getting burnt off. Happens to me with my bike and car. I'm very messy with my oil changes and it's like impossible not to spill oil on the bike because of filter location. Besides the only way the bike is going to smoke is the radiator cap isn't on all the way or u have a leak in the cooling system. But if u don't see anything on the ground then your fine. Only way the oil is going to smoke is if it's hitting the exhaust or burning through ur cylinders and coming out the pipe. What you described just sounds like excess oil getting burned on the exhaust. Just go ride it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ImageUploadedByMO Free1377492668.835449.jpg

What is that though? I really cant guess anything other than water? It seems like something is in the oil? Idk tomorrow i will ride it before class and hope its ok.. Since thats my ride to school everyday..

I really do hope im over worried... Alot of my posts have been me over worrying something.. Im not very engine savvy and like i said this is my 1st bike and i know from experience if little things get over looked they can cause bigger problems.. So id rather be over worried and make an ass of myself than to be over confident and end up with some big mechanic bill

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I had an engine get water in the oil from condensation. Too many short starts and not leaving it running long enough to burn off water. It went away after a few 20 mile rides. It was much more milky
Looking in the sight glass then yours. I say ride it. You should have any problems
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
check your coolant level. I thought I recall that when you see a milky foam in the oil window, it could be coolant leaking somewhere in the engine mixing with the oil. I've had condensation in the window before, but it always went away and never seen agian after a full ride/heat cycle. Someitmes if you let the oil drip down for a long while with drain and filler ports open for a while, you may get moisture in there in the form of trapped water vapor from the air around it. If milky substance is a constant thing, check the coolant level.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
and don't leave the darn cap off next time.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
and don't leave the darn cap off next time.
Haha i know! I swear i put it back on.. N after reading the posts it may have been from leaving the filter off for a little too long.. After i got the filter off i let it set for a few min to do something else..

Lesson learned, next time i do it i will 1) have everything i need there and ready.. 2) i will make enough time to do the job and be able to only focus on it..

Yesterday was probably too hectic for me to be doing it.. I had a million things to do and probably shoulda just waited till today to do it

·
Registered
529 Posts
One of the biggest byproducts of a gasoline combustion engine is...water. If you have ever driven a car in winter time and noticed the exhaust, the majority of what you see is steam, not exhaust fumes. Their will always be some amount of water in your oil, when you idle an engine for a while the water will start to build up in the engine. Water is a smaller molecule than oil, this allows it to easily get past the piston rings and move between the combustion chamber and the oil below the pistons. When a bike is idle the temperature and low air flow through the cylinder, can allow for condensation to form on the cylinder walls and be pushed into the oil. After a few spirited runs however, most of it will boil away and be pushed out through the exhaust. Water also wont make the oil appear "milky", the milky color and appearance comes from engine coolant, not just water.

So next time, never leave caps off the bike, no matter what. It only takes a few seconds to seal them back up and the possibilities of something worse happening are great. Also just run the bike, its fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts