Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Cruzing??

2K views 17 replies 18 participants last post by  shadee 
#1 ·
At 60kph I generally ride in 4th or 5th between 3000 and 4000rpm.

Red 2002 ZX-6R 636

It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stop...

See less See more
#2 ·
I used to own a Honda NSR150 '01 which is a 2 stroke, here in Australia our speed limit on most surburban roads is 60 to 80Km so i used to cruz around in 6th gear alot just to keep the engine from loading and also so it was a bit smoother to ride i haven't ridden a 4 stroke until i got my '03 ZX6R What gear do u guys cruz in and at roughly what RPM? I keep finding myself in 6th gear all the time when only doing about 70Km if i ride in a lower gear it feels like the engine is sort of straing and waiting to change gear but this is only around the 4500- 5500RPM range or is this cause i'm used to the free reving 2 stroke??

#3 ·
The 4 stroke will feel like that, but you're not straining it in the slightest at 5000rpm, you could ride around at 10,000rpm all day and the engine would be happy.

It takes some time to get used to the revs, but dont worry about doing any damage.

On my 02 @ 70km im normally in 5th, but will use 6th sometimes if Im trying to be quiet (ie coming home at 4am) :)

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

#7 ·
Generally, on suburban streets that have 60-80kph limits, I like to stay in 3rd or 4th, which sees me cruising at about 5000-7000rpms. I like to keep the revs above 6000rpms in case i need to do a quick manouvre. This might b just me, but when i cruise below 4000rpms in 6th gear, it sounds like i'm really lugging the engine and when u gas it it takes some time for the power to kick in and to climb towards the powerband. However if u stay in a lower gear this wont be a problem and u wont be lugging the engine around all day. yeah it might be a bit louder, but I see that as a good thing. I didn't buy a slip on just for looks![8D] Just my 0.02

"Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead."
-Scottish Proverb

#9 ·
Mebbe it's just me... but 4000rpm as some have said feels to me like it's really lugging it. Or maybe it's just that since I ride with some big-bore guys and I gotta be ready for the roll ons that I just have trained myself to keep it closer to the boil... I like to cruise between 7-8000rpm unless I KNOW we're not going to be hitting it, in which case around 5000rpm is the lowest I'll drive for extended periods.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

#10 ·
Well I find the bike has more than enough power to cruise along at 3500-5000rpm without straining the engine. Any higher than 6500rpm and I have to keep close tabs on the throttle lest I twitch myself into the car ahead. Also, I only weigh 140lbs so YMMV

-2000 ZX-6R.....

#18 ·
Marsalin, I think it is about 3.5 liters to the gallon, so roughly about three and a half bucks a gallon there in Finland. That's europe for you. I am paying about 1.45 a gallon. Always premium. Gas is crappy around here as it is, so gotta find the best of the worst I guess. As for engine speed, cruising, I stay around 5000 RPM. I think that anything lower leaves you out in the cold when it comes to throttle response and acceleration.

-Cops want a hot pursuit, so entertain them! -Shadee

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.