Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Some of you may have seen my previous thread about me deciding which bike to upgrade to from an 06' Ninja 650R.

I picked up a 2005 Ninja 636 for an offer I couldn't refuse.

After riding it home I realized that the bike was bogging out/stalling out. I drove it home in the pouring rain so I figured that possibly it just had some rain the air box that was throwing it off. Nope. It turned out the bike had a "power chip" in it that basically richened up the fuel and caused it to run like complete ass after being warmed up beyond 170 degrees.

I was told that it had a power commander in it so I was completely in the dark about this "power chip", believing that it was just a bad tune with the power commander.

Long story short, I brought it in. Had it tuned with power commander and a new air filter. Runs like a champ and I still paid under blue book.

So far, I love it. I have only put about 200 miles on it since it was tuned with the new power commander. At first the 130hp 636 engine felt like a little much coming from the 75hp parallel twin of the 650R, but I am getting used to it. Also, it's nice to beat my friend's 750 GSXR in a straight line race for once :D

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. They don't make 130 hp; not sure where you read that.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Right, crank horsepower. I didn't think it was that much though. I was thinking of the actual useable horsepower numbers I've seen (rear wheel power).

Either way, enjoy your new ride. The white looks good; you rarely see white sport bikes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right, crank horsepower. I didn't think it was that much though. I was thinking of the actual useable horsepower numbers I've seen (rear wheel power).

Either way, enjoy your new ride. The white looks good; you rarely see white sport bikes.
Neither did I for the longest time. But mine actually dyno'd at 105whp on a conservative tune.

And thank you :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
congrats, 636's are awesome bikes. its my 3rd bike and ive had it for 2 years. i will probably run it til the motor blows!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
congrats, 636's are awesome bikes. its my 3rd bike and ive had it for 2 years. i will probably run it til the motor blows!
At first I wasn't too hott about the 636, I thought I may have made a mistake. But now that I'm used to it, I have really fallen for the bike. But I still want to test drive a Buell xb12, considering one for next season. Who knows? :Bike:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Niiice looking ride dude, I love the 636..... I'm feelin the white on the swing arm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts