Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I just recently picked up a big package of parts and 2 bikes. One is a zx7 with lots of zx7r parts kiehin flatslide 41mm carbs seller is saying a 950cc supersport motor with falcion lightened polished crank. The other is a true zx7r I believe (no ownership) that was involved in a crash and is missing carbs and a header.

Looking to possibly get some info on the carbs. I don't see a choke on it, is there no choke switch or enrichment knob on these.

Appreciate any input as I am pretty uneducated with these bikes.

Thanks
Asphalt Automotive tire Motor vehicle Machine Luggage and bags

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Motorcycle

Tire Wheel Crankset Automotive tire Vehicle

Land vehicle Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank

Attachments

Registered
1992 ZX7J & 2017 z650
Nice find 馃槑

I recently acquired a 92 zx7 (J, not R) and have gone through it a bit, so I might be able to offer some help.

I spy an RC390 in the background, I have one too 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice find 馃槑

I recently acquired a 92 zx7 (J, not R) and have gone through it a bit, so I might be able to offer some help.

I spy an RC390 in the background, I have one too 馃憤
Awesome. Thanks man. Just got the carb un stuck and cleaned up. Seals look not bad actually, and a lot less evaporated gas than I expected. Was just wondering about the choke for this bike though, as im not seeing anything on the carbs.

And awesome rc390s are fun, it was my first bike. I got it out on the track last year, it was a blast, handled very well.

Registered
1992 ZX7J & 2017 z650
If it isn't too cold this weekend (Michigan) I'll take a look at what the choke cable connects to, though my zx7 carbs are going to be different than the zx7r carbs, I believe. I have a service manual at home that covers the 7r so I'll check that out too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it isn't too cold this weekend (Michigan) I'll take a look at what the choke cable connects to, though my zx7 carbs are going to be different than the zx7r carbs, I believe. I have a service manual at home that covers the 7r so I'll check that out too.
Beauty. That would be helpful, thanks a lot.

Registered
1992 ZX7J & 2017 z650
When you pull the choke cable, it pushes a piece of metal (like a rail) along the front of the carbs to pull out or push in the choke plunger thingy (technical term)

Here's the cable (carb 4 is on the right if you're on the bike). I couldn't get a good picture of the rail the cable attaches to, but it's on the front of the carbs:

Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Auto part Automotive air manifold

Here's the plunger/rod it pushes and pulls in/out (left side).
The "rail" is the steel piece hooked on to the brass rod:

Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle

And a pic of the right side for good measure:

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

The service manual had pretty crummy line drawings, I couldn't find a good image of the choke.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you pull the choke cable, it pushes a piece of metal (like a rail) along the front of the carbs to pull out or push in the choke plunger thingy (technical term)

Here's the cable (carb 4 is on the right if you're on the bike). I couldn't get a good picture of the rail the cable attaches to, but it's on the front of the carbs:

View attachment 140475

Here's the plunger/rod it pushes and pulls in/out (left side).
The "rail" is the steel piece hooked on to the brass rod:

View attachment 140477

And a pic of the right side for good measure:

View attachment 140476
The service manual had pretty crummy line drawings, I couldn't find a good image of the choke.
Thanks for the reply, it looks like my carb is a different settup entirely. Also looks like I'm missing an airbox. good to know what the stock parts look like. I will have to inspect where the linkage goes. I didn't have to disconnect anything when I removed the carb I know that. I will probably have to look up the carb specifically probably. I looks like it has a little fuel pump going into the carb as well.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper

Automotive tire Musical instrument accessory Musical instrument Automotive design Motor vehicle

Light Sleeve Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Gas

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, those look fancy. There definitely is a fuel pump and an airbox. They also refer to an additional "accelerator pump" in the manual. I think it kicks in when you give it the beans.

I wonder if they ran with a custom airbox: Race Airboxes | Andys Kawasaki ZXr/ZX7R Tribute Website
Ah so they mentioned these Carbs in this article. These are fcr carbs It looks like. But they just got rid of the airbox completely instead of modifying it.

Registered
1992 ZX7J & 2017 z650
Interesting. I wonder how they started that thing, maybe it's just set up for it, maybe they used a roller starter. Mine definitely needs choke to start but is happy wihtout it after ~60 seconds or so.

The one with the fcr carbs is the 950, right?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting. I wonder how they started that thing, maybe it's just set up for it, maybe they used a roller starter. Mine definitely needs choke to start but is happy wihtout it after ~60 seconds or so.

The one with the fcr carbs is the 950, right?
Yea it is. Im going to go over it a little more this weekend and try and fire it up.

Registered
Thanks for the reply, it looks like my carb is a different settup entirely. Also looks like I'm missing an airbox. good to know what the stock parts look like. I will have to inspect where the linkage goes. I didn't have to disconnect anything when I removed the carb I know that. I will probably have to look up the carb specifically probably. I looks like it has a little fuel pump going into the carb as well.
View attachment 140483 I thought the flat slide carbs didn't have a choke ?????
View attachment 140480
View attachment 140481
View attachment 140482

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It doesn't appear to have one. I have seen videos of some fcr carbs being cleaned, and the one (out of a Kawasaki dirt bike) had a choke on it, so I was just confirming if anyone has any input on that.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome, let us know how it goes. That's a cool bike for sure!
Got it fired up. Carbs were seized got them moving and cleaned out. Tank was sitting with gas for 20+ years so put the other tank on. Changed filters, lines and swapped the fuel pump unit from the other bike. Next is coolant. All new hoses for that, drained out alot of nasty stuff. Going to need a really good flush.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts