Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys...as you can see this is my first post. just got my new 636 bout 4 months ago. been riding for 2 years but learned how to ride on an F2..what a difference :)

anyways, this is a picture of my wheelie...am i at the balance point? also i can ride out first with no problem till it tachs out...should i learn how to switch to second on the wheelie or just learn how to lift it in second...all my wheelies are throttle wheelies, i'm afraid of clutching it up and looping...anyway, i appreciate as much feedback as possible. thanks for everyone's help in advance.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Neither would I say you're still at the balance point.
But hey, it still looks nice [:p]
I'd be more afraid of looping while switching gears from first to second than clutching it up in second gear.

The other thing with switching from first to second is that it feels quite nasty if you hit neutral instead of second gear, brings the front down quite hard.

Still, keep up the good work :)

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
looks good kandy, been trying to find the balance point on mine foreva. nice color by the way.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Originally posted by TommyV

When you can't see the road in front of you, you're at the balance point[:p] It is a nice looking wheelie though.
haha :D good definition ;)
And if you're on your back, you've gone beyond the balance point? :(

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Just crack it up in first then just click it into second real quick. It's easy, espacially for our 636. I can pull mine up in first and hold up all the way until fourth then it sets down real soft and easy.

·
Registered
999 Posts
As everyone else said your not at the balance point. Its easier to loop doing 1st gear power wheelies than clutching it up in 2nd I think. I clutch every wheelie up unless Im doing standups down the highway. You have more control when clutching it up. Just start out slow clutching it up in 2nd, start @4 or 5,000rpm and just get used to the way it clutches up. Just take it slow because it is possible to clutch it up at those rpm, just take it easy on the throttle at first.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
so its easier to loop power wheelies?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
It's easy to loop any wheelie if you go insane with the throttle, or if you have absolutely zero throttle control. I ride with several guys who do wheelies. Some clutch them up, some power them up, and if you ask any of them which way is easiest, or best, they will say their way is. You just have to practice and find your own way and your own comfort zone.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I think it is if, because usually on a power wheelie your at full throttle or close to and the bike comes up pretty fast and then you have to let off and get back on the gas and most people dont let off in time. Where when you clutch it up it comes up at a more controled rate. I never really understood it to much till I got my 954, because I always wondered why people with liter bikes still clutch up wheelies, it easier to control.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have to agree that clutching up a wheelie is better.......once you get the hang of it. When I first tried to clutch it up in 2nd, It seemed very.... unnatural i guess. About 3 days ago I said F**k it and wnet to an empty warehouse parking lot and worked on clutching up for 3 hours. Im still not real good at them, and I havent reached the balance point yet, but ill probably rarely do power ups again. It is so much smoother on the way up, Its almost like the front just floats off the ground about 4 feet, rides for a while then set back down just as soft. It does take some getting used to though, but its worth it

·
Registered
211 Posts
can you explain in detail more on how to clutch it up in 2nd and 1st? i have been doing nothing but power wheelies in first and have been trying it in 2nd. i can get the wheel up with no problem but it comes up so damn fast that i immediately let off of the gas with the rare occasion where it comes up smoothly and i just hold the throttle steadyt until it goes back down smoothly. i havent been able to get the whole throttle & balance thing down. thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I need someone to come out with me, and teach me how to do a wheelie. The only time I've had the front end up was coming over a steep bump in the road. Top of the bump, I gassed it, the front came up probably 5-6 inches, and that was scary enough for me...

I figure once you can learn to control them though, it's not that scary! So I need someone to come out and teach me!

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Dixxer, If you're that scared to do wheelies my advice to you is not to do them.
People have to understand that stunts are not for everyone. Just because someone else can do it DOES NOT mean that you can. Enjoy your bike. Ride the twisties. Hell, to me the twisties are even more fulfilling as doing stunts.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
the best is when you ride and just incorperate tricks during your ride. for me anyway, that's why i want to learn tricks. i do that when i snowboard cause i'm not physco good with tricks. lol
the guys that have stunt bikes like minytrker or the guy that has octane 94 (?) kick ass with their tricks though. u guys rule!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.