Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was speaking to one of the service guys at my local Kawasaki dealer today about rejetting and air filters. He says that if I were to install the K&N air filter without rejetting I could end up damaging the engine. Does anyone have a differing opinion?

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Well, everyone will have their take on this.
First , save your money and forget about the K&N..stock filter flows perfectly,by an extra one to switch back and fourth to save down time on services.....jet kit....sure if you have a full system....slip-on, make your own and save big bucks......shim needles and go up on the mains,all from the company that made the carbs(Kehin/Mikuni).....

All depend on what you are in search for.....

Just my .02

Jason

Everyone has their own thing.....

·
Registered
999 Posts
A k&n is worth the money and it WONT huet the engine or viod any warrenty. They flow a lot more than stock, you may not notice a big diffence in power but it will help smooth out the power delivery. By adding a jet kit with a slipon it allows you to fine tune your bike. You can gain more topend or more lowend depending how you install it, but a jet kit isnt required. Hope this helps.

2001 ZX-6R

·
Registered
158 Posts
I put a K&N and a Yosh bolt-on and have put over 2800 miles on since then. Have not noticed any reason the re-jet what so ever.

And NO a K&N will not hurt any engine. Sounds like the guy at the dealer wants to convince you to pay for things you don't need. Next he'll tell you the jet kits at the after market shops will ruin your engine you have to let him install a kit from his shop.

DON'T ALWAYS BELEIVE WHAT YOU HEAR. As you did with this post, ask around for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th... opinion.

It's days like this I wish I still did drugs!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have heard from many people that the K&N is not worth it on our bikes. The reason is it actually has a smaller surface area than the stock filter so it typically flows less air than stock. I run a hugh K&N filter in both my cars but if I have to go to a smaller swept area filter on my bike to run one, forget it. I'll stick with the stocker and keep it clean.

Green/Black 01ZX6r. LP LP flushmount v's, tank guard. Removed decals, 2002 rear fairing, Pyramid hugger

96 SVT Cobra Black/Tan Vert 32V. Not stock!

93 Blue Probe GT 24V Commuter car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fitted a Remus viper carbon fibre oval end can on my ZX6R J2 2001 model. Later I added a K&N Filter and dyno-jet kit. Boy what a difference, Power is a hell of a lot smoother and these's notable more off it. Well worth the cost and effort to fit.

BTW I tried both a Pipercross and a K&N filter, both gives a huge improvement on standard and there's little to choose between them performance wise.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Hmmmmm....

As far as my knowlege goes...the K&N flow "smoother" air at rpm's.....the stock filter has more surface area so it flows "more" air.....but not as "smooth".......I have both for my bike and switch back and fourth trying to see if I notice a difference....usually with the K&N I seem to feel a little more on the top 10-14,000 rpm range......not enough for me to be sold on the benefits of them.

But to each his own.....it is your money and all....

Jason

Everyone has their own thing.....

·
Registered
280 Posts
minytrker, I've heard this from many 6r owners as well as guys who ride many diff types of bikes. The K&N may flow more cfm but it doesn't typically show itself in extra power but everybody's results can vary I guess. I'll stick with the larger stock filter until I see proven dyno results, not just K & N's flow tests. I believe in the filter for my car but I'm sure if I had a foam filter like the stocker on our 6r's.

Green/Black 01ZX6r. LP LP flushmount v's, tank guard. Removed decals, 2002 rear fairing, Pyramid hugger

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've heard the K&N filter's swept area is smaller than the stock foam area, not the actual bracket sizes on the filters.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Most of the guys on the R6 Board claim the K&N actually gave them more troubles and worse performance than stock. I would just save the money because I don't think there will be much difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
it can give more trouble cause the bigger air flow means the engine runs leaner. add to that a new can and the poor thing is gulping pure air with no fuel. You'll need to get a dyno jet kit and then have the engine dyno tested and set up on a proper rolling road.

·
Registered
226 Posts
One big advantage of the K&N filters is that they're washable!! That is, you only buy one for the entire life of your bike! It's cheaper than using the stock filters...

Wilder than the wildest dreams!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.