Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard from various people that a K&N air filter is more trouble than it is worth. For $50 some bucks, there is no real gain in hp, and that a cheap filter will do just as good of a job. I have also heard that like more topics, it varies from bike to bike and make to make. Just wondering what everybody else thinks? And what you all have seen in your own bikes. Thanks

2002 zx-6r
green, of course

Edited by - mojo ninja on 12/30/2002 17:32:29

Edited by - mojo ninja on 12/30/2002 17:33:06

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hey.. I have a yellow 2001 and i put a k&n air filter in it... I couldn't tell a gain in HP but it seems just a little smoother but hardly enough to judge..

2001 Yellow ZX-6R

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The dyno run from independent sources show little or no horsepower gain for K&N filters over factory filter and sometimes loss in horsepower. The only reason I can think of for buying one was that is was a lot cheaper than a factory replacement.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
On top of that, if their claims are true in every case about increased airflow, there has to be a tradeoff... and in my books it's at the expense of more harmful particles being allowed to flow through the filter. I've had a mechanic tell me to avoid 'em and save my engine. Everybody will have a different opinion I'm sure, but the logic behind this argument is sound, if more air gets through, more damaging particles will too...

For a possible 1hp gain, naw, thanks I will pass...

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
768 Posts
I believe in mine. Dynos don't show the full picture because we have ram air.

However, the only mods ever done to my bike were a muzzy exhaust, K&N filter, and proper jetting. If I could find the dyno sheet from 2 years ago I'd show you my 96 hp.

Without jetting a K&N will do nothing. Just be glad we're the 6R and not the R6. The R6 needs the stock filter. It's a funny shape for the ram air system. You put a K&N into an R6 and it screws it up and runs super rich.

Dan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.