Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have anybody tried to put a K&N airfilter on a FI bike yet???

I took my bike apart today to see if it wouldt be possible... But I might need some help with this...

I have a couple of questions I hope you guys can help me with...

Question #1
This sensor is mounted in the airbox.. but i think it is some sort of airtemp sensor to ajust the air/fuel mix in cold and warm weather... but im not sure...
When i disconnect it and start the bike the FI lamp is on... so it would have to stay on the bike... but i think i could just let it "hang" someplace on the bike... but what do you guys think???

Question #2
This unit is mounted in the same place as the kleen air system on the carb bikes... it has two hoses and a plug on it (the blue plug)... one of the hoses goes to the cylinder head and the other goes to the airbox...
I dont know what the sensor in it does... but could I put a breather filter on where the hose to the airbox is mounted???

I do not think it is some sort of MAP-Sensor or vacuum sensor for the intake system because next to it is mounted a sensor that has a small hose going to the throttle body... I think this is some sort of MAP-Sensor...

Question #3
The throttle body flange diameter is 44mm (1.750in Sorry guys... I'm metric) I can see the airfilter VeX used on the carb bike has an inside flange diameter on 48mm (1.875in)... What size is the carb flange and do you think i can tighten it in so it fits???

I hope you guys can help me out on this... and if you can see a reason for this not to work please let me know...

·
Registered
836 Posts
So how does it run without the air box connected? Have you figured out some way to make it run richer(like bigger injectors/higher fuel pressure/ecm re-map) if needed?

Vex mentioned he went thru the k&n book and picked the size filter he needed, Dont see why you couldnt do the same.

For that first sensor(air temp), just put a hole in the back side of the pod filter and mount it there. Another member did that for the AIS hose (cant remember his name).

For the blue connector on the AIS valve, looks like the ECM controls it(valve). The carb bikes it vaccum controled. On my other FI bike I just disconnected it and removed the AIS crap, it doesnt throw any codes. Try disconnecting it and see what happens if you wanted to remove the AIS stuff. If you leave it, connect the AIS hose to the pod filter. Anyway, if you decide to remove all that crap, and it has a code. You will have to leave the valve with the connector, or read the value of the valve and try and fake out the computer with something(resistor).

Well, looks like fun either way. Good luck :)

Oh, Iam with you on the 3rd sensor too. Has to be MAP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your posts...

I havent tryed to start the bike yet... it started to rain when i got it apart and i am working outside so i just covered it up... it should be better weather tomorrow so i will try to start it tomrrow...

I was hoping the MAP-Sensor could ajust the fuel mix automatic... but will see when i start the bike...

So you dont like k&n.. do you have enything else in mind that i could use instead

·
Registered
836 Posts
K&N didnt work very well back in the day on the two strokes, so I just will never buy from them again. Tried some BMC's, they seemed OK. Foam filters are my favorite, pipercross and Uni.

BTW: Very cool pics of the FI set up :) +rep

Pic #3, kinda looks like the bike has a different ingition system too. Like each cylinder has it's own coil ?

Welcome to the forum to :D

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
why not use a quality drop in filter?

K&N, isnt a good filter...
Everytime someone says K&N you appear in that thread and shoot them to shit :p . They don't have a drop-in filter for these bikes as of yet so people have to resort to pods. As for the 'quality', I PREFER the accel "Cool Blue" filters on my cars/trucks, but as for custom set-ups such as the one for these the K&N can't be beat. So long as you clean the filter periodically and make sure it's oiled they do a good job of filtering. If I (which I don't) lived in a dustier environment I would totally have a foam pre-filter over the K&N, but as it stands I don't have a dirt problem. :confused: When you say you've had 'bad luck' with the K&N's what exactly do you mean? (I can understand price being a little absurd, but other than that)

·
Powerhungry
38,138 Posts
more restrictive than the aftermarket ones... CFM
hm, ok, i guess the trade off isnt worth it for me. i want a filter, thats actually going to do its job.
are the OE ones really thats restrictive on the 250? i know the OE filter for my bike is pretty much as good as it gets.
theres a reason the k&n flows more than stock....its full of holes, and doesnt filter nowhere near as well. in fact even K&N themselves claim it filters BETTER after its a little dirty.
now...wtf, how can that be..unless its not filtering properly when CLEAN/new.

i'll stick with OEM, thanks.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
A stock paper-type filter filters 98-99% of air whereas a cloth-type filter such as a K&N filters around 97% :) Not TOO different really. That and I didn't use a K&N for it's 'less restrictive' nature (The few extra CFM are negligible as perhaps a 1% increase in power on these bikes is about .3 hp? Whoooopty doo). I use cloth type filters because you can clean them, and they DO in fact filter well if you keep them well oiled! (Better than paper if you're REALLY into keeping it oiled).

That and if you're removing the whole restrictive and HUGE airfilter box you aren't left with a plethora of options :) I wholeheartedly agree with you Nevada though. If your airfilter box isn't that restrictive then hells yeah to a foam air filter!

... Man this thread derailed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So i got the bike started up today... without the airbox...

I'd put some nylon stockings over the throttlebody...:D figured it was better than leaving it open...

When i take the blue plug of the AIS valve the FI light comes on.. so I guess it wouldt have to stay on the bike...

I think im just going to plug it where the hose to the airbox is mounted... its kind of loud when its not pluged... as you can hear in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtI90AzCua8

But when it is pluged the bike sounds very nice...:D this video is with no airfilter and stock exhaust...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_MfjUFnHws

Well of corse I could not resist taking it for a ride... so i took a small ride... it drives very well it feels like it has a better throttle response and revs faster... but in 5th and 6th gear it struggles to get past 9k rpm... but it's no problem in the other gears where it just revs straight to the red line... does anybody know why it is so???

So I will order the K&N filter tomorrow.. it seems like the danish supplier has one in stock... im looking forward to getting it on my bike... I will also see if I can get my hands on a Yoshimura carbon exhaust this week...

·
Registered
836 Posts
When i take the blue plug of the AIS valve the FI light comes on.. so I guess it wouldt have to stay on the bike...

Well of corse I could not resist taking it for a ride... so i took a small ride... it drives very well it feels like it has a better throttle response and revs faster... but in 5th and 6th gear it struggles to get past 9k rpm... but it's no problem in the other gears where it just revs straight to the red line... does anybody know why it is so???
Plugging the ais works just as good, I did that on the r1 before getting in there to remove stuff. Could try using an ohm meter and read the value of the valve, then just get a resistor to put across the connector. No biggy leaving the valve in place thou.

I recon it's running lean, thats why it wont pull in upper rpms in higher gears. I wonder what kinda fuel pressure it has..... The nylons on the throttle body's are a nice touch :) My old GPz900r ran around with Keihin CRs & open stacks, no filters at all for almost 2 years... Didnt hurt it at all ;)

On your first post, the last picture of the throttle bodys. Were you holding the throttle open for the pic? Just wondering if theres two set of throttle blades..

Again nice pics :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No I'm not holding the throttle open.. but there is two sets of throttle blades... it looks like its controled electric...

Thanks for your help... i appreciate it...

I have ordered the filter today but it might be a week before i have it...:(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts