Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought one of these for my bike since they last forever and they are easy to clean and they are good on performance. My bike is all stock except for visuals. Just want to hear other peoples epinions when they installed them in there bikes if there was any performance gains at all.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Ive got the k&n in my bike 03'RR (with after market full exhaust) i really couldnt tell any difference by the seat of my pants. ive heard they actually may cause you to loose a horse or two but I guess we wont know till someone post a true dyno with and without one installed.

·
Registered
278 Posts
They slightly improve horsepower because they allow way more air to get in, as well as keeping a great vlitering system. The biggest pro, they cleanable.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by SeDiCe
They slightly improve horsepower because they allow way more air to get in, as well as keeping a great vlitering system. The biggest pro, they cleanable.
not neccesarily true.
This is true if you rejet the bike to optomize it for more airflow, otherwise it will run slightly lean, and lose power.

I think they do give more power with a properly jetted bike, and some good exhaust.

·
Registered
287 Posts
according to dan kyle, a k&n filter restricts more air than the stock air filter. but that's with a full arata system and remap. he's not the only one that's said that either.so.... who knows[?]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Originally posted by kronk
according to dan kyle, a k&n filter restricts more air than the stock air filter. but that's with a full arata system and remap. he's not the only one that's said that either.so.... who knows[?]
I agree with that. I have the K&N and actually noticed the bike back-fired more, then i took it off and voi la!

The thing is is that Kawasaki spends sooo much time to R&D so when they choose parts for our bikes they're usually the best ones made for our bikes. It's not the same as with cars where you can change the Air Filter and you can automatic feel and hear the differnce.

I say just keep the stock and don't buy in to the K&N hype, just my epinion :).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update; I installed the K&N filter with new plugs and a oil change. I bike is running smoother and sounds like it is breathing easier under hard exceleration. Also NO backfiring! Who the hell knows but I'm happy with the way it is running. Thanks for everyones input.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
The key isn't the filter, necessarily, it's proper jetting or mapping. You could take the filter right out and hook a vacuum into it to get more air in - that doesn't mean power. As CDN stated, if it isn't mapped to compensate for better air intake you'll run lean and lose horsepower.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah K&N filters let more air in, but they also let more dirt in. K&N has great marketing and that is why their name is out there and known. And hell, if you have a race car/bike that you could care less about dirt and crap getting into your motor then by all means go K&N. But if you want your bike to last then stick with your stocker.

For those that don't believe do some searches on the net and you will find what I am talking about. K&N filters really don't do their job...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.