Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo, I went online and bought a manual cam chain tensioner from Kawasaki and I must have screwed up. After going through the hassle of taking off my fairing and dealing with the 8mm screws from hell, I took out the stock automatic cam chain tensioner only to find that it is indeed LONGER than the manual one I bought from Kawasaki. The stock tensioner is not broken in any way. Spring and rod are both fine but I just need more length to tighten her up (the story of my life! haha) Now this drives me crazy because I was looking forward to a quieter running engine and really only wasted my time in the process (I think). Has this happened to anyone else and does the APE CCT have a longer adjustable arm that the stock version??

·
Registered
455 Posts
Post up a pic of the kawi one and your stock one, cause if it's the wrong one they have to exchange it. Or call another kawi dealership and see if their part # matches with the one the other Kawi place sold you.
It's probably the right one just looks short.
I bought a a.p.e. it looked a little short as well but after adjusting the bolt it was fine.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
If you just pull the automatic tensioner out (removing the two screws) it will fully extent and will, of course, be longer than the manual one. Around 6 clicks from shortest is factory spec.

If you remove the spring (big nut on middle) before removing stock tensioner it will come out in the adjustment it was.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Sooo, I went online and bought a manual cam chain tensioner from Kawasaki and I must have screwed up. After going through the hassle of taking off my fairing and dealing with the 8mm screws from hell, I took out the stock automatic cam chain tensioner only to find that it is indeed LONGER than the manual one I bought from Kawasaki. The stock tensioner is not broken in any way. Spring and rod are both fine but I just need more length to tighten her up (the story of my life! haha) Now this drives me crazy because I was looking forward to a quieter running engine and really only wasted my time in the process (I think). Has this happened to anyone else and does the APE CCT have a longer adjustable arm that the stock version??
I'm curious also, I want to get the same CCT as a few guys have recommended them on the forum, and it's an easy install. I dont' wanna have the same issue. I wanna se a pic and possibly get part # so my shop knows which one I want or anyone know a supplier online?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, thanks for the responses thus far. Here is a picture of what my manual Kawi CCT looks like. To add to my above post I did install the manual Kawi CCT and tried to run it in finger tight but never reached a point where tightness occured. I was able to extend the arm all the way out with only my fingers which tells me that the CCT is too short to do its job. Also, the stock automatic CCT was fully extended when I took it out (and yes I did take out the large center bolt first so it wouldn't extend anymore upon removal). Sorry but I don't have any pics of my stock CCT because I already reinstalled it for the time being so I can get these last few days squeezed out of my bike before it turns cold as hell.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just got a tensioner from APE and it looks longer then the one you got. I haven't installed it yet. The tensioner from APE has great reviews.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got a tensioner from APE and it looks longer then the one you got. I haven't installed it yet. The tensioner from APE has great reviews.

Thanks for that, I figure that is probably the case. Will let you guys know as soon as my APE arrives.

·
Registered
19 Posts

hi all kawa bros, normally when do we need to replace our CCT? Do we replace it when doing valve clearance or....?:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, so just installed my APE CCT over the holiday and am very pleased with the results. My baby purrs like a kitten now instead of chain slapping the shit out of my internals. When I extended the APE CCT all the way out it was considerably longer than this Kawi CCT I have therefore telling me it was indeed the wrong part. Now I only wish that I had snow chains on my bike. hmmmm.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
737 Posts
hi all kawa bros, normally when do we need to replace our CCT? Do we replace it when doing valve clearance or....?:D
Hey guys. I looked through some threads but they all say HOW to install a cam tensioner, not exactly WHEN to replace it :confused:. I remember reading about some knocking sounds, but I'm not quite sure what that means. Can someone please explain to me. I is noob :p.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
usually never, but the stock one kinda sux. thats why a lot of peeps went with the manual cct. it has nothing to do with the valves

Alright, so just installed my APE CCT over the holiday and am very pleased with the results. My baby purrs like a kitten now instead of chain slapping the shit out of my internals. When I extended the APE CCT all the way out it was considerably longer than this Kawi CCT I have therefore telling me it was indeed the wrong part. Now I only wish that I had snow chains on my bike. hmmmm.......:rolleyes:
good deal man. you could tube the tires and install ice spikes on them lol.
Hey guys. I looked through some threads but they all say HOW to install a cam tensioner, not exactly WHEN to replace it :confused:. I remember reading about some knocking sounds, but I'm not quite sure what that means. Can someone please explain to me. I is noob :p.
the sound is more like a rattling sound, just about all the kawi's do it, a manual cct adjusted rite will quiet the engine

1 - 15 of 15 Posts