Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think a few good folks are experimenting but I haven't heard good results as yet. I have an Akrapovic race system on mine and that was probably good for a few horses and I have just fitted a Power Commander with a European map that seems to have helped it too. I just fitted the kit velocity stacks to cylinders 1 and 4 and put the stock 1 and 4 in cylinders 2 and 3 (if that makes sense) to hopefully get a little more top end power. I am waiting for my BMC race filter before I get the Power Commander set on the dyno.

Regarding using the kit gaskets, it won't hurt but I think the head and cylinder really need milling to get some real compression in there.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The 4 thou the kit gaskets give you are not really going to net enough compression to add noticable hp, IMO.

If you want to go the gasket route vs milling a better option would be to take it apart, measure the squish and then have cometic make you gaskets to get to the squish you want.

just my $.02 but what do I know...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Has any one tried the hotter cams, tighter valve springs, different sized velocity stacks or the thiner head and base gaskets on the ZX6RR?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Correct me if i am wrong the shorter the velocity stacks the more it helps your horse power but the taller ones help your torque. Also has any one tried muzzys full system, for one it is about half the price which means when you pitch it on the race track it hurts half as bad on your wallet.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Originally posted by britracer1

I think a few good folks are experimenting but I haven't heard good results as yet. I have an Akrapovic race system on mine and that was probably good for a few horses and I have just fitted a Power Commander with a European map that seems to have helped it too. I just fitted the kit velocity stacks to cylinders 1 and 4 and put the stock 1 and 4 in cylinders 2 and 3 (if that makes sense) to hopefully get a little more top end power. I am waiting for my BMC race filter before I get the Power Commander set on the dyno.

Regarding using the kit gaskets, it won't hurt but I think the head and cylinder really need milling to get some real compression in there.
I ordered my BMC air filter Friday May 9/2003 and will arrive at my Canadian addresss Monday or Tuesday May 12 or 13/2003. They are in stock. I ordered from this company/reseller, which intern they order from the Distributor. At the time of my call (Friday May 8/2003)the Distributor had 8 in stock.

Part number from BMC for air filter for ZX-6R and RR is (There are two other for the 6R also)...

Part#/Code#: 323/04, or 323/04 RACE.

I ordered the RACE filter.

The part #/Code # from Yoshimura-RD is : BMC-1027

Manufacture: http://www.bmcairfilters.com/ and select from the Bike drop down menu.
Reseller: http://www.starcycle.com/ Ask for Terry. 1-800-634-9166 The price I was given was competitive.
Distributor: http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/default2.asp

As for the MAPS for the Aki with PC Unit and Filter I would be interesting to caht more about your DYNO tests and perhaps share maps.

Thanks,

Fly

Point A to point B is always faster when you Fly!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well i broke down and ordered the gaskets cams and springs along with a full muzzy carbon system. I plan on ordering the bmc filter but i wanted to dyno my bike first. I also am going to polish the exhaust ports and match them up to the exhaust system hopefully this will help as well. Does wera have any problems with this?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Muzzy??? You should really look at the Sato or Arata full Ti systems that Dan Kyle sells. They make more power than the Akrapovic Evo system and cost less. I can just about guarantee that the Muzzy system won't be as good.

Scott

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hell, I wouldn't bother with an Akrapovic system anyway, they don't fit right. It torched a whole through the lower fairing on my GSX-R 1000 K1, which really irked me the wrong way. Thinking that it was only me, I've seen a few other Thou's with the same problem. Moreover, the header pipes were junk on that too, they just don't fit right. I'd get a Yoshimura if I really had the money, but since I don't, I ordered the Arata, can't go wrong with a full Ti system for $1,000!

Moral of the story, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON AN AKRAPOVIC!!!!!

Chaos, panic, disorder......

my work here is done

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well i went with the muzzy for two reasons I could get the full system carbon for under 600 dollars and also they have a map for it on the powercommander website. I also looked at the fact that i could get the system and all the hop up parts for cheaper then the akrapovic system. These other systems you spoke of are new to me and might be worth looking at do you have any links to them?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Just wait for the Yoshimura EMS, you get all of that plus the ability to add a proper shift light, a quick shifter and a three-way map toggle switch. Screw the Powercommander, I seriously doubt it could command a toilet brigade!

my work here is done

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I had no idea, but considering you can advance and retard the timing out of the box I'd go with the Yosh anyway, not to mention all the other goodies it comes with. I mean, waiting for a patch to come along so you can advance and retard the timing - what the hell is that about - is this some kind of WinXP type bullshit program?!?!?!???

my work here is done

·
Registered
67 Posts
How do you program the maps on the yosh ems? I ordered the powercommander because of avaliblity not any other reason(ya know how that goes). Also it looked nice at 300 dollars compared to kawasaki's version at about 1400 for all the individual parts. Did any one tell kawasaki they were smoking crack when they priced that?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Doing the maps for the EMS is pretty much the same as you would for your Powercommander. You use a 9-DIN connector to attach your laptop or PC and download/modify the maps to your liking. You can buy a remote connector kit so you don't have to take the cowl off butI prefer putting it on top of the micro-battery under the seat so you can imagine what a life saver that was. You put in, hook up your laptop, make the adjustments you need want, d/c and then off you go again. [8D]

I actually spoke with Jeff Hadeloc at Kawasaki's accessory department in California sime time back. He told me they were actually considering making it an entire package for $1,400. He also told me that the only other things offered from Kawasaki Japan for the race kit were a different instrument cluster and wiring harness. He didn't do that citing lack of appeal. Damn him - I could use a new instrument and a dedicated race harness would have been nice as well.

my work here is done

·
Registered
135 Posts
The Yosh EMS does not allow one to take advantage of DynoJet's Tune Link software. This software allows the dyno operator to make custom maps easier, better, and faster. That reason alone is enough for me to stay away from the EMS. The quickshift add-on sucks too.....and I don't need two maps available at the flick of a switch.

Scott

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.