• Vulcan series - The easy riders

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A Kawasaki doesn't need to be expensive and exclusive to be cool!

Choose the Kawi that made an impact without breaking the bank :smile2:

I know that some of the model series I posted include relatively expensive bikes but it would be too much to post specific models.

Also, the Er6-n is now called Z650, which is a blunder if you ask me, as the Er series bikes are very different in character, but you get the point.

I choose the Er - Ninja 650 - Versys series bikes as they revolutionized their category with features like, bespoke design, under slung exhaust and premium packaging in general, side mounted shock absorber for stability and agility, compact and powerful engine and overall beautiful design and riding character that many tried to imitate!

·
Registered
201 Posts
A Kawasaki doesn't need to be expensive and exclusive to be cool!

Choose the Kawi that made an impact without breaking the bank :smile2:

I know that some of the model series I posted include relatively expensive bikes but it would be too much to post specific models.

Also, the Er6-n is now called Z650, which is a blunder if you ask me, as the Er series bikes are very different in character, but you get the point.

I choose the Er - Ninja 650 - Versys series bikes as they revolutionized their category with features like, bespoke design, under slung exhaust and premium packaging in general, side mounted shock absorber for stability and agility, compact and powerful engine and overall beautiful design and riding character that many tried to imitate!

I'm personally seriously considering trading my 250 in for a 454 ltd. I do my own wrenching most of the time anyways, so it would be worth picking up something that's a bit of a classic. Or perhaps the Vulcan 500, because Frankenbikes are awesome. :p

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm personally seriously considering trading my 250 in for a 454 ltd. I do my own wrenching most of the time anyways, so it would be worth picking up something that's a bit of a classic. Or perhaps the Vulcan 500, because Frankenbikes are awesome. :p
Cool, nothing wrong with trying new things!

·
Registered
40 Posts
In my NTBH opinion, the ULTIMATE 'Frankenbike' (assuming by that, you mean: sport-bike engine in a street-bike/cruiser-frame) would be the ultra-rare Kawasaki Eliminator's...mainly the 600, 900 and 1000's.

It's amazing to me that all three versions had such a short production-run, given their rock-solid performance & reliability.

I had an 87' 1000 Eliminator briefly...my only reason for getting rid of her, was mainly the fuel-economy...no matter how 'light' a wrist I drove her with, she never once gave me 100 miles to a full-tank of gas...

...truth be told, the 'Millennium-Falcon-esche' launches she was capable of, seldom made for great gas-mileage anyways...lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
I voted KLR because it deserves a lot of appreciation.

Legendary usability and reliability through the years.

My no2 choice would be the Er series.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I Went with the ER - Ninja 650 for a number of Reasons,

1, It's my first Kawasaki
2, It's a stunning looking bike
3, It has great performance
4, It has good fuel economy
5, It's also a pretty versatile sports tourer allowing for good miles in comfort.
6, It's affordable compared with it's competitors.

My second choice would be the ZX6 Series as that was my first introduction to fast sports bikes but i've never owned one. (yet! ;) )

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I Went with the ER - Ninja 650 for a number of Reasons,

1, It's my first Kawasaki
2, It's a stunning looking bike
3, It has great performance
4, It has good fuel economy
5, It's also a pretty versatile sports tourer allowing for good miles in comfort.
6, It's affordable compared with it's competitors.

My second choice would be the ZX6 Series as that was my first introduction to fast sports bikes but i've never owned one. (yet! ;) )
Nice points my friend, it's hard to find one of us genuinely disappointed through the many years of production.

Of course the bikes have improved in various sectors with the latest models but I keep the rare five star review from motorcycle news for my model noted since the time of purchase! It was definitely spot on :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Cool, nothing wrong with trying new things!

It looks like it's probably going to be an '84 kz440, I know a guy that's got one that he just wants gone. It's the belt drive version. Most likely I'll have to clean the tank, carbs, unseize the engine, redo the suspension, replace the hoses and tires. No biggie. :p

Fingers crossed that I don't lose too much money on this if I decide that I don't want to keep it. But, it will hopefully keep mechancial work on my Ninja to things that actually need to be done over the winter.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It looks like it's probably going to be an '84 kz440, I know a guy that's got one that he just wants gone. It's the belt drive version. Most likely I'll have to clean the tank, carbs, unseize the engine, redo the suspension, replace the hoses and tires. No biggie. :p

Fingers crossed that I don't lose too much money on this if I decide that I don't want to keep it. But, it will hopefully keep mechancial work on my Ninja to things that actually need to be done over the winter.
Sounds like an interesting project and you seem to be handy with a spanner so go for it!

I would also really like to see pics of the process and the final result, I love this kind of topics >:)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sounds like an interesting project and you seem to be handy with a spanner so go for it!

I would also really like to see pics of the process and the final result, I love this kind of topics >:)
The only thing more dangerous than a monkey with a gun is a monkey with a 30 year old PDF of a service manual.

I've got access to an entire machine shop, 3d scanner, welding gear and the like. The only thing that I don't have access to is a paint booth. But, given the design of these bikes, there's no problem in removing the fenders and tank for painting. The main limitation here is just me following through on it as I've got access to just about every conceivable tool that could be used on a motorcycle.

My plan is to thoroughly document the process as there's a ton of bikes from this era and earlier that can be had for very little money. And they'll often ride just fine once you fix them.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only thing more dangerous than a monkey with a gun is a monkey with a 30 year old PDF of a service manual.

I've got access to an entire machine shop, 3d scanner, welding gear and the like. The only thing that I don't have access to is a paint booth. But, given the design of these bikes, there's no problem in removing the fenders and tank for painting. The main limitation here is just me following through on it as I've got access to just about every conceivable tool that could be used on a motorcycle.

My plan is to thoroughly document the process as there's a ton of bikes from this era and earlier that can be had for very little money. And they'll often ride just fine once you fix them.
I think that you are very lucky and you should definitely go for it!

Just study as much as you can and experiment with something dirt cheap before proceeding with any grand projects. Try to see how far you can go without wanting any help.

I am very good with the theory but when it comes to actually implementing it I am too insecure and, therefore, useless :frown2:

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think it's a shame that the Ninja 250 wasn't even mentioned...

Such an honest and trustworthy machine.
Me too, also there were plenty of people with 250's interacting here through the years.

Anyway, since you mentioned it, it gets a virtual vote :laugh:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts