Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This would be my first bike! My brother in law had a 2007 gsxr 600 i rode around in a parking lot before it got stolen..other than that none besides the msf class I'm taking this weekend!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Bit of a beast bike to start off riding, but, it doesn't really matter what I think, I'm positive you'll do what you want either way!

Good on you for taking the MSF course, it will help you a lot. If you don't know a lot about bikes, I suggest finding a mechanic who is familiar with motorcycles and can do an inspection for you when you find the *potential* right one. If the seller is confident the bike is in good condition he may be willing to go half in on inspection cost with you.

good luck in your search and gear up!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan on starting out VERY slow. KBB says a 2006 zx6r would be around 4100$. The guy is asking 4000 with 20k miles on it. Is that a good deal with that amount of miles on that bike?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I plan on starting out VERY slow. KBB says a 2006 zx6r would be around 4100$. The guy is asking 4000 with 20k miles on it. Is that a good deal with that amount of miles on that bike?
These are the oh-so-very words of every beginner I have ever met who was attempting to justify starting on a super sport. The thing is that no matter how slow you believe you will start, the risk is heightened and you aren't learning to ride the bike the same way...you're learning to SURVIVE. The bike itself is beyond a beginner's level of control, and WHEN (not IF) you make a mistake, it will bite you back much harder than a more suitable bike. One can only hope that the result will not be an accident or harm to you or anyone else! There are always some exceptions to the rules but everyone seems to think they are the exception to the rule.

Without seeing the bike, and without knowing the average asking price in your area, nobody can tell you if it's a good deal or not. Price varies according to location, mileage, condition of the bike. KBB is a decent guide but not always accurate. Most of all, I'd say get it checked before purchasing it to ensure it is in good running condition and that the previous owner did all the necessary maintenance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
10-4 thanks for the advice..ill look at some 300s also. I figure Ill learn a lot during the class so i can make a smart decision which is probably not a super sport haha. Last question..buying off craigslist. So say i find the right bike for me with a good price..the owner has the nc title (I'm from nc btw), I take it to a local shop to get it inspected and all is well..and i decide to buy the bike and pay in full with cash..what do i do next? go to dmv? i know i have to have liability before i can get title transferred correct? I know i could figure all this out but i figured someone has done all this before and could help me here.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
10-4 thanks for the advice..ill look at some 300s also. I figure Ill learn a lot during the class so i can make a smart decision which is probably not a super sport haha. Last question..buying off craigslist. So say i find the right bike for me with a good price..the owner has the nc title (I'm from nc btw), I take it to a local shop to get it inspected and all is well..and i decide to buy the bike and pay in full with cash..what do i do next? go to dmv? i know i have to have liability before i can get title transferred correct? I know i could figure all this out but i figured someone has done all this before and could help me here.
I don't know the laws in NC since I am from Canada. Here, when we bought my friend's bike, we went and met the person with cash and a title transfer form. She just had to fill out her section of the form and sign it, my friend filled out his section of the form and signed it, then she signed in back of the registration in the 'title transfer signature' box. Then he rode the bike home (uninsured at this point but in hindsight he should have called for insurance first - it only takes like 5 minutes) and then the next day went to transfer the titles. Really was not difficult.

Call your insurance and ask how to proceed if you want to insure the bike beforehand. Hope you got insurance quotes first on the bikes you are looking at! if not - DO IT! only takes a few minutes over the phone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts