Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Thats how I get down baby
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had become used to the tick. My bike (07) sounded like a time bomb from the day I bought it (June 2007) and it had no longer bothered me. I just accepted it and ticked my way all over the place.

The other morning I start the bike and boom. No tick. It currently sounds like a normal motorcycle and not like a roller coaster going up a hill.

Has this happened to anyone else? Or is everyone still ticking around?

·
What is this place?
18,517 Posts
Maybe thats a bad sign? Kind of a reverse of every other motor in the world? If our engines stop ticking (mine is 04 and ticks the same) then we are doomed?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
That would be the Auto cam chain tensioner taking up slack, it will get loud again and then quiet. it is normal.

·
Thats how I get down baby
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its confusing for sure. a bad omen? i fuggin hope not.

i hope it doesnt get loud again i like not hearing that shit.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
That would be the Auto cam chain tensioner taking up slack, it will get loud again and then quiet. it is normal.
This. And if you put a decent amount of miles on your bike, you'll hear this more often. This is the exact reason many change over to a manual CCT such as the APE (as I have).

Just remember this "tick" can also be from out of wack valves. I didn't find this out until I had my motor taken apart and my valves were way out of wack. Just a heads up...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Lucky dog! I wish my noise would go away. My shit isn't just a click, it's a click/clack/shallow metallic "bang" that's been there for...god, 7000 miles now? I can hear it over my gutted exhaust and my intake and shit. Never gets better or worse, but the oil is clean and it makes 103 to the back tire on a hot day, so whatever. Doesn't mean I'm not going to get it throughly looked at though when I finally get my V/C done under warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It makes me feel so much better hearing about others with the same noise. I just picked up a zx6r and sold my SV650. The first thing I noticed was the loud valve noises at start up. But once the bike warms up it seems to go away. When the bike has been running all day, it purrs softly. Its only at start up for 5 mins or so until warm.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is not a bad thing, my bike did the exact same thing about a month ago, but its a good thing. these bikes have an automatic chain tensioner and over time it pushes itself out to take up the slack, and yes the noice will come back at somepoint and then later on it will start to come back and then go away again. dont worrie about it.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
You all need to check out the how to stickie. The very last how to just so happens to be on tightening the stock cct. I did it an hour ago and holly fuck is it amazing. Tick is gone!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I hear Mine from time to time i did not put to much thought about it like u did But what do u know i Learned some thing new

·
Registered
18 Posts
my 08 was ticking at 3890 tightened the stock cct now just when i first start it it knocks about 4 or 5 times than when the oil is cycled it just purrrrrs

·
Registered
247 Posts
mine was doing it for a few months but after a good hard riding weekend away (about 2500kms) the noise is gone!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
can anyone confirm that putting in the manual CCT has successfully taken their noise away? I have one in hand just trying to decide if i want to put it in or not....

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
can anyone confirm that putting in the manual CCT has successfully taken their noise away? I have one in hand just trying to decide if i want to put it in or not....
Do it, fuck trying to adjust a tensioner that was never meant to manually adjusted.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I put the manual CCT in and still def hear the noise, how tight did you tighten yours? i did finger tight then about a quarter turn....

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I put the manual CCT in and still def hear the noise, how tight did you tighten yours? i did finger tight then about a quarter turn....
you may need a little more, i went about a full turn and then backed off a little bit and locked it in. do it finger tight at first, then start the bike and do the final adjustment with it running.

·
Registered
23 Posts
FOUND THE FIX TO THE TICK!!!

They are called EARPLUGS! Couldnt get it any quieter by adjusting the tensioner so I said forget it and threw earplugs in. I gotta say the bike runs great and is a TON of fun, but I just cannot stand the damn tick...makes me really hate the bike but what are ya gonna do I guess

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
FOUND THE FIX TO THE TICK!!!

They are called EARPLUGS! Couldnt get it any quieter by adjusting the tensioner so I said forget it and threw earplugs in. I gotta say the bike runs great and is a TON of fun, but I just cannot stand the damn tick...makes me really hate the bike but what are ya gonna do I guess
fail

1 - 20 of 27 Posts