Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking why dont all the riders of kawiforums in the socal area meet up for a ride? i was thinking of a ride thats worth it and came up with cresthighway at angeles nation forest. been there once and flat out love it, its more than twice as long than ortega hwy with some intimatidating and frightful curves. if you think this is a good idea let me know and maybe we can make this happen. it will give us a chance to meet riders who have helped eachother out on here.
( IM DOWN ARE YOU?)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Sounds cool to me...or, make the ride to Palomar Mtn. near San Diego. Thats the best and IMO, no other So Cal canyon comes close. There's talk of a ride there this Saturday in the Regional/So Cal section. Check out this link for ratings/info on all the Cali Canyons:
http://www.lateralg.org/roads.htm

btw: there's a group of kawiforum riders that meet for the wed & thur bike nights at the starbucks on Beach and the 91 at 8pm. And we ride almost every saturday night through Hollywood and sometimes Malibu (Rock Store).

·
Registered
63 Posts
That would be kool but just remember to watch your speed on hwy 2. Last weekend there was a cop hidden with radar running in both directions. We got to newcombs before they arrived but leaving, we were being told he was there so we cruised on the way back.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I posted this ride on grouprider.com.date is oct. 14th a saturday at about 6-7 am, theres a map of the route and and other details on the site my username is the same as on here. So far i got about 35 riders who plan to ride(excluding my buddies) so dont be shy! THE MORE THE MARRIER!

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'll try and make it but it's kinda too early. I'd have to leave before the sun comes up...

We goin to Palomar tomorrow, Saturday the 9th. It'll be a 220+ mile ride..here's the riders so far:

Meeting in Anaheim: [lets meet at the 76 gas station on Lincoln & Beach at 8]
1. WHOA636
2. MrFeetz
3. 636RGUY

Meeting in Corona/Riverside: [ meeting off the 91 freeway and Main St. exit at the Cheveron ~8:30
4. zerosix-xer

Meeting near Palomar (hopefully ~9):
5. simple guy + his group

Let me know if any of kawiforum riders want to meet up.

Palomar is #1, here's a pic to get you interested:

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Originally posted by WHOA636
I'll try and make it but it's kinda too early. I'd have to leave before the sun comes up...

We goin to Palomar tomorrow, Saturday the 9th. It'll be a 220+ mile ride..here's the riders so far:

Meeting in Anaheim: [lets meet at the 76 gas station on Lincoln & Beach at 8]
1. WHOA636
2. MrFeetz
3. 636RGUY

Meeting in Corona/Riverside: [ meeting off the 91 freeway and Main St. exit at the Cheveron ~8:30
4. zerosix-xer

Meeting near Palomar (hopefully ~9):
5. simple guy + his group

Let me know if any of kawiforum riders want to meet up.

Palomar is #1, here's a pic to get you interested:
Just an FYI. I was on Palomar this past Monday (9/4, Labor Day weekend) and there had been thunderstorms up there. There was alot of washout on the roads and in the corners making it very nasty up there with dirt, rocks and small boulders in the road on the top half of the fast side and all of the tight side. My understanding is that it can take a couple weeks before most of this crap is gone so just be carefull when you guys get out there.

I would love to join you guys but I have my daughter for the weekend and won't be able to make it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey everyone. Glad to hear everyone is coming. I'll be easy to spot cuz I'll riding with an identical candy green ZX-9R. See ya on the mountain.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yea, probably not. I'll just keep trying to practice around town and try to not stall :D. I barely got the hang of splitting lanes down today.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm originally from SoCal but doing my thing elsewhere, I'd be there if I was in state no doubt. Have fun and pop one off for me!

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Originally posted by WHOA636
hmmm... if you go you'll become faster but if you've only been riding a week it's not a great idea.
Agreed, Palomar is not the place for a new rider to be playing around on. Stick to riding around town and local twisties for at least 6 months or so unless you get yourself to a track day or school. Don't be in a rush to hit roads that are real technical, take your time and have fun, you will ride much longer that way.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Be careful on the morning rides up Palomar, usually cops are somewhere in the area. If you're in a group I suggest that half of you head up the mountain at a moderate pace and then contact the boys/girls on the bottom to let them 1) know about conditions of the road, i.e. rocks, any water, etc. and 2) are there any cops around. Plan on riding up and down the mountain two or three times and you will learn the curves and become faster. If it's your first time to the mountain entry speed into the curves is very important and there are 2 or 3 curves where you think you've circled back on yourself, seems like 360 degrees, and they tighten up the further they go. This is where some people will drift out and become dangerous to oncoming traffic. Realize that even cars have this problem so leave some room of your own. You can still go fast just don't lean near the center line around the curves.

I usually go up at least once or twice a month and go up on a Sunday evening and nobody is around. Over the months I notice I'm getting faster and faster and it becomes more and more fun.

Enjoy....

·
Registered
871 Posts
just got back from Palomar. Some of those turns seem to go forever. The conditions were great. The CHP left just as we arrived and there were only a few out of the way spots of gravel. Once at the top one of the 05 636's started dripping coolant as shown in the picture. Has this happend to any of you?

For those of you who are new to motorcycles and near the Irvine/Orange County area, check out www.skillzdays.com These happen on Sundays for a few hours at the cost of a donation to the instructor/racers. Even if you've been riding for years you should go because there's always something to improve. If your interested PM me for the instructors email.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.