Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm not sure what to expect from this but it's my last hope.

I work for a charity that help young people learn to ride bikes. A long time ago we were donated a KDX 250 SR which was very popular. Unfortunately over the years on of the gear selector drum grooves has worn to the point that it jumps constantly out of fourth gear.

Trying to find one at all, let alone for a reasonable price, has been pretty much impossible. If anyone knew of where we could find one that would be amazing! Our plan if not is to weld the drum so that you cannot go to fifth gear. Which isn't the end of the world but it's a bit disappointing.

So if anyone can help out at all it would mean the world. Thank you :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Are you sure it's the drum?! I've never heard of a drum wearing out. Usually damaged gears are the culprit of slipping out of gear. I've replaced several. Don't want you to go through all the trouble of finding a drum when it's been your transmission all along.

An SR? What is that 1991 ish?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Zephyr, the SR is an Australian/Japanese model, made between 91-94 also known as the F1-F4. It's more of a road bike than enduro; metal tank, heavier and shares very few parts the UK models (D1-D4) the engine is completely different, which makes finding parts extremely difficult and expensive.

Having re-evaluated the selector drum, it doesn't look to be as bad as I originally thought.
The selector fork however has wear marks indicating it might be slightly bent, unfortunately this item is unobtainable (Part No: 13140-1202) I think I ordered the last one in the world last time lol.

The dogs on third gear are a little worn (Right image) but it ought to be engaging further than the wear. The dogs on fourth gear (Left image) seems to be in good shape.

Also noticed that the fourth gear retaining circlip is well worn, allowing probably around a millimetre of end float, all of which adds up.
It's a bit more complicated than originally thought, the selector fork is going to be the stumbling block.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts