Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so it was a false alarm!! On Friday my 636 arrived at my local dealer. As some of you may have read, I was going to sell this bike and pay off some way overdue bills. Well, after riding it for the entire weekend and putting on nearly 500 miles, I am going to keep it. Let me just say that I jumped to conclusions and was too proud to get on another brand and see how it compared. I’m not going to say the Kawi is better then my Honda, nor will I say that my Honda is better then my Kawi. Both bikes have ups and downs that have driven me to my decision. Both of these bikes are badass!!!

First I’ll say that the motor in the Kawi is STRONG…..this thing pulls like an F-16 with the afterburner on. The brakes are just plain sick as hell, and anyone who says other wise is a dope. The seat puts my Honda to shame hands down, and even though the seating position is a bit more aggressive it is a very comfortable bike. I love the sound that the airbox makes and in my opinion it has the sweetest I have heard. Did I mention it pulls like a damn fighter jet??[}:)] I know most of you 636 owners know all about it and everything I am saying but it's all new to me. I had a hard time keeping the front down most of the weekend since this thing just loves to loft the front. I even had a chance to "test" just how good the front brakes really are when some jacka$$ in a Geo pulled out infont of me while I was doing 50 or so. All I can say is OUCH!!! I think "my boys" are a little unhappy with the power of these brakes but I love em. So al in all I like my Kawi more then I was willing to allow. So I guess I need to apologize to you all for jumping the gun and basically discrediting the 636 before I really rode it.

Dano

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Another one hooked...[:M86]

Good choice!

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Glad to see you like the bike. We knew after you rode it, you'd change your mind. Welcome back aboard!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Hate to say I told ya so... well okay, so maybe I don't HATE to...

Swallow that pride, admit the Kawi is king, and sell the Honda... it's the right thing to do.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Ok, I am a die hard Kawi fan, and bleed green when cut, but I have to know. How do the two bikes compare with a back to back ride? I know what the mags are saying, but I want to know a real rider's opinion. I know that both are the most agressive in the 600 class, and neither is real comfortable for the street, but give us the scoop. And if ya wanna sell the Honda cheap, I have a buddy on an F4 (no i)that is dying for one....it will shut him up for I while, I hope!!:D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Bottom line is they are both great bikes. I had no affinity to either Kawasaki or Honda when I made my decision (actually, I liked Yamaha, but the R6 did nothing for me). The two reasons I decided to buy the 6R:
1. Engine
2. Brakes

Now that I have owned the bike for 5 months, I know I made the right decision for me. The bike kicks ass! I am even happier I made the decision when I see the parade of RR’s & 6R’s at the local bike night. I would hate to have an ass hole bike (everyone has one:D). I am now converted, and my new affinity is with team green!

Congratulations on keeping the bike, you will love it more and more every day!

Post some pictures of it, I would like to see the paint job up close.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So now I will give you my opinion of my two bikes.

The ergos of the 6R are quite reasonable and although a bit smaller then my RR, it is very comfy. The seat alone makes it that much better to ride for an extended period of time. The bars seem wider then my Honda and provide for good leverage when turning. I did notice that my knees after about 45 mins were begining to hurt a bit...think the pegs are a bit higher then the RR. While the Kawi looks great I still prefer the looks of my RR a bit more. Just takes some time getting used to looking at the Kawi. The 6R is by far lighter then the RR but when riding the mass centralization of the Honda hides its weight very well. Takes a bit more effort to turn the 6R. They both are rock solid in corners but I did find that the 6R gets a bit upset in the semi-bumpy stuff. Corner exits are like being shot out of a cannon on the 6R, and the front end became twitchy when doing so...simple fix with a damper. The mid-range on the 6R is absolutly amazing, and like I said before it's like a fighter jet. The RR lacks some grunt when it comes to 2nd and 3rd gear roll-ons, this is when the Kawi just walks away from it. The two bikes have a very good top end and both pull right to redline with no drops in power.

I took the 6R up one of the best roads in town(Mt. Lemmon)over the weekend and managed to get the tires worn all the way to the edge. I'm not sure why, maybe just different tire profiles, but I haven't got my RR that low. The brakes are great on the 6R and have good feel no matter how hard you grab em. My RR has less initial bite and a very linear pull the whole way. All in all I'd say they are both so close that it comes down to what each individual wants. For me, I have always owned a Honda and when I saw the pics of the RR, my mind was made up. But now I stiil have this unfortunate problem of needing to pay off some bills. Anyone want to buy a Honda???;) I can't go off selling a one-off custom bike now can I!! I can always buy another Honda some day.

Dano

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I hadn't seen the bike before, it's beautiful! I love the silver and black/gray scheme, I'd proabbly take off the decals after a while though :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.